Galileo Sol v.s. Suunto D9 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own a D6, which is the D9 minus air integration, and I switched to the Sol.

I like the Sol a LOT better. The large screen is much easier to read--have you looked closely at the D9? Some of the indicators are tiny! It's too big to be a watch, and too small to be easy to use as a dive computer.

You can also set the Sol to leave the backlight on constantly on a night dive, and the battery is user replaceable. AND the Sol's compass is a lot better, maybe even good enough to be your only compass for some kinds of diving.

Oh, and the Sol has a "deep stops" function, not a big deal, but it is a nice reminder to take an extra stop on the way up.

I have heard that Suunto air integration can be a little touchy, it may be hard getting the two devices synced up--but I can't verify that myself. My Sol's air integration works fine though some others have had problems. And, it will do buddy air monitoring, if your buddy has an Uwatec transmitter. Important? No, but it can be a fun convenience.

AND, the Sol has the heart rate monitor... A gimmick, sure, but I find the data interesting.

I cannot compare how the two computers manage deco obligations or gas switching because I don't do that kind of diving.

I'd suggest downloading the manuals for each computer and checking them out. In my opinion, there's no comparison... if priced similarly, the Sol wins for the bigger display and user replaceable battery alone.

I have both the Sol (for one year) and D9 (for 4 years).

- Sol is bulkier which means you need to store it when walking about a resort vs D9 you wear as a watch.

- D9 strap broke once before a dive in a remote location...so used dive tables for that dive till i could rig up on next dive.

- Both wireless transmitters have crapped out on me a few times. Unstable technilogy but the Sol has happened only twice and i was able to just reach over my back and the transmitter linked up.

- As my eyes age (53 now) i appreciate the size of the Sol screen.

- I dived once with both and think that the D9 is more conservative... not a bad thing.

- I gave up on the D9 a few months ago and only dive with the Sol.

Now i am taking notice of the Liquidvision X1 Dive Computer as i start to do some tech diving: Dive Computers & Accessories - Liquivision Computers & Accessories - Liquidvision X1 with Po2 Meter - Northeast Scuba Supply

-

If I can offer up another suggestion. The Oceanic OC-1. It is about the same price as the D9...more compact than the SOL and more features then the D9. It will do deco diving...wireless air integration and has two types of algorithms

Hi:

I have used the Sol for the past couple of years and love it. I am an underwater photographer and use very powerful strobes, and have never had an issue with the transmitter failing to respond.

Don't become too enamored with the mapping feature. I have a template for creating maps, but they are decidedly low resolution and I use them more for reference than anything.

I am not sure how a strap broke (above). Pretty difficult to have happen unless it was cut or the wrist strap came undone. I have taken mine all over the world and it is rugged and dependable. I also like the software. I gave up on Oceanic products because of really crude software and issues with USB cables. The UWATEC IR interface is great.

The other feature I use quite a bit is a second transmitter on my pony bottle. Nice to be able to keep track of air in a couple of tanks.

The heart monitor is interesting, but I only use it periodically.

I am not familiar with Suunto.

Have fun!

Dan

Agreed, the image storage feature isn't great. I have some simple reference material in mine but rarely use it.

If the OP wants to consider other computers, there are many choices. D9 vs Sol is kind of a weird comparison IMHO, they are so different.

Well put it this way.
If you had $1,500 to spend on a dive computer for nodeco diving what dive computer would you get?

I had that exact same question about a year ago and got the Sol with my tax refund. :wink:

Today, based on what I know about the Sol, which I am very happy with, I would investigate other computers with huge displays and wireless air integration. Those are the features I enjoy most.

There is the Mares Icon HD, which doesn't have AI yet, but there is supposed to be an upgrade program for it this year. I think you send in your unit and a couple hundred clams, and they send you back a new AI model.

There is the Sol. And don't they have a Luna or Terra, something like a Sol but cheaper with support for only 1 transmitter?

Liquivision and Shearwater computers have very good legibility. Not sure about AI. Many "tech" computers don't have it. Around here, Liquivision is beloved for the nice bright screen but I have no idea if it is easy to use.

Sacrifice wireless AI and move to no AI at all or a console and there are a lot of other options. (You don't need AI. No one needs AI; no one needs a computer in the first place though, but computers are a convenience and AI is another level of convenience that I sure like.)

See as many models as you can in person, and check out the manuals. If you aren't a deco diver, most any nitrox-capable computer will work for you, but you need to find one with a display and controls that appeals to you.

If I were shopping again today, I would compare the Sol to the Icon HD. Maybe the Icon would win due to a superior display. Dunno, haven't seen one yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom