Galileo Sol Intermittent signal loss **Feedback Please**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheMadDane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Alright so I have about 35 dives on my Galileo Sol, all in/around Montery Bay. It "was" mounted to my poseidon regulator for 32 of the 35 dives, on which it peformed flawlessly. I recently switched my primary to an aqualung Titan and since then have not been able to maintain a tank signal unless the Sol is "Literally" right next to the sending unit.

Anyone had this experience?

I'm about to leave for a week long live-aboard so I won't take in for repair until I get back in the middle of June.

I checked with Uwatec/Scubapro and it is under warranty from Scubastore.com in Spain where my wife purchased it.

I have heard about these isues but I have never experienced them myself. As for buying it in Span, you better check, I think they may only honor USA warranties here.

When you switched from the poseidon to the Al reg, did you move the transmitter to the opposite side of the reg?

I've been diving a Galileo since it first came out. Wearing it on my left wrist with the transmitter on the left port of my first stage. Performed flawlessly.

Recently transitioned to a HOG doubles set, put my transmitter on the right post to complement the simple spg on the left, signal became very intermittent. Got a flash of inspiration mid dive and moved the computer to my right wrist. Problem solved, haven't lost signal since.

I had a problem with my signal and took it back to the supplier. He indicated that sometimes the batteries that are installed at manufacture time are not always 100%, he changed mine at not cost and the 22 dives since then have been with almost no loss of signal (perhaps 3 short drops in 20 hours of dive time).

I am not saying that this is the issue, I just hope it gives you a possible different perspective to consider.

Best Regards
Richard

Change the transmitter battery first. They are easy to do and not covered under warranty, but make sure to replace the o-ring. Any Uwatec service center can do it for you too.

what kind of batts in the xmitter and what size o ring?

The owners manual has the battery number listed in it. Nothing special, any drug type store will stock them. The o-ring is not something I found in all of my o-ring kits. Might have to come from a Uwatec dealer.

Yes it's under warranty from Scubastore.com, already verified by Scubapro.

The transmitter is on exactly the same side and position it was before.

I get 100% battery reading on the CPU, so I'll try changing the transmitter battery before I take it in for warranty.

I have heard of a few of these having severed antenna wires inside the unit, but then it probably would have never worked.

Thanks.

Claus

Ok, well good news and well I think just a bit of bad news....

Good News: Replaced the sending unit battery and voila! No more signal loss, at least not in my garage. Will dive in a couple of days and see for sure.

Bad News: This unit is less than 6 months old and has approx. 15 dives on it, (35) above was a typo. I find it a bit disconcerting and well just plain rotten business to be selling something with this price tag and have the battery only last 15 dives when it should last approx 200.

Just my 2 cents.:no:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom