Galileo Luna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd_earth

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am thinking of getting a new computer and I heard the Galileo Luna is a good pick -can anyone tell me their experiences with this computer?

Thanks for your help! :)

jd_earth,

On a whole, the Luna is a very nice unit as are all of the Galilleo units. The Luna is to a degree modular compared to the SOL and TERRA units in that it can be purchased I beleive with or without the Heart Rate Monitor or gas integration, so effecticly it can start life as a Terr and finish up as a SOL, albeit at a cost.

The good points are probably the display and the compass and, if you use (and pay for it) the 3 gas blend option if you are going to use stages at different o2 levels. The display is configurable from giving you total information overload in one screen to giving you only the essentials. When on the basic screen, the other info can be brought up at the tap of a button.

The compass is big and works in any angle. It does seem to be more tolerant to areas of high metal content compared to a normal magnetic compass (i.e. when diving around bridges or wrecks) but is a right royal pain in tha arse when you are getting close to your NDL and you want to navigate back on a bearing as the computer takes over and reverts the compass back to the Dive screen. Real bugger when you are runnng tight on bottom time and you are having an argument with it as to what screen you want to see:no:

The Luna is a big unit so be aware that it will not stay in its pristine condition for long if you are into poking your nose into tight spots as you will no doubt to banging it on rocks or wrecks. But, it is solid and can take a fair bit of punishment. Being big, so is the display so if you are like me with aging eye sight, you can read it no prob.

Some say the Heart Rate monitor os a bit of a wank but the theory behind it in calculating nitrogent absorbtion based on respiration I think is quite neat. The Air integration (if you take the option) is the same as any other computer.

The software for logging your dives is very good, probably one of the better I have seen or used. And having said this, the dive profile is displayable on the big display on your arm.

All in all I personally think it is a great unit. Do I own one.... no I have the Terra, do I want one .... Yep.

Cheers

Rainsey

Oh.... one thing I forgot to state. User replacable batteries! No sending it back to get new batteries put in.:D

I have the SOL. Love it.
Nice big display (primary reason for the purchase). I have become quite fond of the compass and the AI. Although I do still keep a brass and glass SPG clipped off and a small compass on the strap of my backup computer.
The heart rate monitor and respiration function will really ratchet down your bottom time when you work.

I am thinking of getting a new computer and I heard the Galileo Luna is a good pick -can anyone tell me their experiences with this computer?

Thanks for your help! :)

Here you can see the big brother (SOL) in action

We plan to release the Galileo Sol Specialty Class before the end of the month.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Thanks for all the info!

I think I will save up my $$ and eventually invest in one!

Back
Top Bottom