Galileo Luna reception issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm having some troubles with reception on my Luna. I've done some searching and have seen other with issues but they always seem intermittent and don't include some other things I've noticed.

tl;dr; on a recent trip my Luna lost signal quite often. On some dives it was constantly, even with my left hand (where luna is) resting on the back of my head, a mere few inches from the transmitter. Also, I almost never see the air reading for my wife's transmitter; however, every time I lost signal she could see my air on her Luna.

I've had my Luna for not quite a year. I'm new to diving. I've had my Luna lose air signal a couple times in the lake where we train. On our first trip diving (Hawaii) we did 4 dives and I never had a problem.

We recently went to Honduras (Guanaja @ Villa on Dunbar Rock) and did 17 dives over a week. I have a Nova light in my bc pocket and have a camera rig I had on most of my dives. Canon 7D II in an Ikelite housing with a gopro attached, ikelite vega video light and ikelite DS-51 strobe. I've read some people that said these caused interference, but that doesn't explain the dive where it just would not hold the signal, even with my hand on the back of my head, with the Luna about 6 inches from the transmitter. I don't think it is the transmitter. since my wife seemed to always have my air levels showing. I also almost never had a reading for her tank. even when I would rest my hand on her shoulder for a few moments (free of my camera rig).

I'm going to try pulling the batteries and replacing them (they show full charge) and do some tests in the pool, side by side with my wife's Luna to see if my Luna performs differently (in terms of reception distance) than hers and see where to go from there, but I thought I would see if this kind of behavior is similar to other's experiences as well.

I do have my transmitter mounted in the HP opposite my computer, because I have a backup air integrated computer mounted on the left side HP. But so does my wife and she never lost signal once on all the same dives. And that doesn't account for my computer not seeing her signal.

Thanks for any insight you can provide. I'll be testing and contacting ScubaPro soon as well, just wanted to see what the community thought.

-Duane

Are you using optical cables for your strobes or electric?

The transmitter should be on the same side as the computer. Also check that the transmitter is the new type with the larger battery. If it still gives you problems send it in (both the computer and transmitter) as it has a two year warranty. Mine is now rock solid after I had my transmitter replaced with a new one.

I used to have more frequent Luna transmitter problems like you're having. I sent it to scubapro they didn't find anything wrong. Someone told me to try the transmitter battery and that solved it.

Now, I replace the battery about every 20 or so dives. I never have any problems anymore. My scubapro dealer charges $25 for a battery.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but what the scubapro dealer tells you regarding what to expect for transmitter battery life is bull.

The battery scubapro uses is a Varta CR2/3 AA 3V.

Fuji also manufacturers a CR2/3 cell but I haven't tried one yet. I've been considering buying a spare transmitter and playing with circuit or housing modifications to improve voltage tolerance or increase the size battery you could fit.

Last edited:
I would rule out the transmitter batteries because your wife's Luna picks up your signal well.

Therefore, it is your Luna. Put a fresh battery in it, in case there is something wonky with the battery. (I've not seen this, but ....)

If it still loses signal, it is the antenna in your Luna.

Last test - swap your and her Luna for a dive. She should then have the same issues that you had. If not, it may be the interference of your strobes. All transmission devices *must* accept interference.

My best SWAG based on your statements.

One more thing you might check . . . you don't mention what type of light you are using, if any. My buddy dives a Sol and found that every time he turns on his ScubaPro light, he loses connection with the transmitter, no matter how close he gets the PDC to the transmitter. Once he turns off this light, the connection is reestablished. I find it interesting that ScubaPro would sell a light that interferes with its own computers

My Luna battery in the old transmitter lasted hundreds of dives, and when it was replaced with the new one, same thing. It is now my better-half's computer...over 700 dives, three batteries in transmitter total.

Anyway, I have had signal interruption a couple times diving with people using electrically synced strobes.

Reactions: Jax
Er...doesn't the Luna transmitter communicate with the computer acoustically?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom