Galaxy S5 OC1 Petrel-2 DivePal DCbuddy Petrel Log Manager

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This is not going well for me.
I'm on my second DCBuddy to connect to my OC1. But trying to upload to DivePal on my S5, DivePal crashes.
Log sent to eDiving, answer was new version of DivePal will fix the problem. It did not.

Petrel Log Manager cannot see my S5. I tried (as suggested in the support forum) to pair the Petrel and the S5 first; nothing.
Problem explained 4 days ago in the support forum. No response.

Rght now I have no reason to own DivePal (with Tech License), DCbuddy, or the Petrel Log Manager.
It is all a nice idea, but if the nice idea is not working and the support is not responsive, it is time to quit.
:depressed:

.... I'm on my second DCBuddy to connect to my OC1. But trying to upload to DivePal on my S5, DivePal crashes.
Log sent to eDiving, answer was new version of DivePal will fix the problem. It did not.....
What version of divePAL are you using? The most recent one is 1.5.3 and, so far, we have not received any crash report for it.

....Petrel Log Manager cannot see my S5. I tried (as suggested in the support forum) to pair the Petrel and the S5 first; nothing....
We are looking into this right now.
What FW version do you have in the Petrel?

.......the support is not responsive .....
The Android developer was home sick.
We are humans. Not machines.

What version of divePAL are you using? The most recent one is 1.5.3 and, so far, we have not received any crash report for it.

We are looking into this right now.
What FW version do you have in the Petrel?

The Android developer was home sick.
We are humans. Not machines.
divePAL 1.5.3
SW FW V28
Petrel Log Manager 2.1.2
Galaxy S5 (AT&T)

DCbuddy connected to OC1 links to divePAL, initializes.
divePAL crashes after about 6s when trying to download a log; the OC1 shows connected, the divePAL blue bar goes a few times, then crash.
It also crashes immediately if I go to download a diagnostic. divePAL version 1.5.2 allowed me to send you a diagnostic.
I just sent a Google crash report to you.

Petrel Log Manager cannot find the Petrel.
Direct attempt to pair the Petrel to the Galaxy S5 gave: BT INIT FAIL message.

The Petrel connects fine to my desktop PC Shearwater software.
The S5 connects fine to other BT devices.

Sorry about the snarky comment about no support; there was no response to the Petrel Log Manager BT support forum, which was unusual for you guys. Also, I've been trying to get this working so long my Tech license expired and I had to get a new one. I really don't want divePAL and PLM to become my neew career.

Petrel Log Manager cannot find the Petrel.
Direct attempt to pair the Petrel to the Galaxy S5 gave: BT INIT FAIL message.....
We saw BT INIT FAIL message too and it is something that has to do with the OS directly (we do not have control on it - this is something that would need Shearwater's support).
The weird thing is that it happens on some devices (in our case on an HTC one) and not in other (Nexus, S3, S4 ...).

Having said that, we just published on Google play version 2.2 that "should" fix this bug.
Please note that some connection attempts may still fail with "Invalid Bluetooth PIN" errors. We recommend restating the Petrel as a workaround for now when encountering this error.

..... DCbuddy connected to OC1 links to divePAL, initializes.
divePAL crashes after about 6s when trying to download a log; the OC1 shows connected, the divePAL blue bar goes a few times, then crash.
It also crashes immediately if I go to download a diagnostic. divePAL version 1.5.2 allowed me to send you a diagnostic.
I just sent a Google crash report to you......
Thank you for the crash report. We are looking into it.

---------- Post added January 16th, 2015 at 04:35 PM ----------

divePAL 1.5.3
..... It also crashes immediately if I go to download a diagnostic. ......
Download diagnostics works fine with us. Could you please send us a crash report on this one?

Download diagnostics works fine with us. Could you please send us a crash report on this one?
Just sent.

---------- Post added January 16th, 2015 at 08:39 PM ----------

We saw BT INIT FAIL message too and it is something that has to do with the OS directly (we do not have control on it - this is something that would need Shearwater's support).
The weird thing is that it happens on some devices (in our case on an HTC one) and not in other (Nexus, S3, S4 ...).

Having said that, we just published on Google play version 2.2 that "should" fix this bug.
Please note that some connection attempts may still fail with "Invalid Bluetooth PIN" errors. We recommend restating the Petrel as a workaround for now when encountering this error.
Installed 2.2.
Ignore Crash Report I just sent; cockpit error.
PLM tries to connect to Petrel, but then fails, says no socket connection, and Petrel shows BT INIT FAIL

....PLM tries to connect to Petrel, but then fails, says no socket connection, and Petrel shows BT INIT FAIL
Are you able to pair the Petrel with your S5 using the Android Bluetooth Settings?

No

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

As I said, this means that there is an issue with the Petrel2 itself that can not talk to some Android devices.
We have informed Shearwater about this issue.

---------- Post added January 20th, 2015 at 08:57 AM ----------

divePAL 1.5.3
DCbuddy connected to OC1 links to divePAL, initializes.
divePAL crashes after about 6s when trying to download a log; the OC1 shows connected, the divePAL blue bar goes a few times, then crash......
New version 1.5.4 is now available on Google play.
Could you please check it out and let us know?

Thanks.

New version 1.5.4 is now available on Google play.
Could you please check it out and let us know?

Thanks.
Could be the one! Currently downloading....
I checked "All Logs" and it showed (after a bit) 82. It is currently downloading #59.
Will report more later.
Good job.

---------- Post added January 20th, 2015 at 02:22 PM ----------

All 82 downloaded without error. Cool.
Is there a way to do a batch setting for Location, like "66-82 = Bonaire"?
And thanks.
Now, to sort out the Petrel glitch...

..... All 82 downloaded without error. Cool....
I am glad to hear that!

..... Is there a way to do a batch setting for Location, like "66-82 = Bonaire"?..
Nope.

..... And thanks...
You are welcome.

..... Now, to sort out the Petrel glitch...
We got Shearwater in the loop and it seems that they might have found an explanation for this "glitch".
What Petrel do you have? 1 or 2?
What firmware revision?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom