Galapagos or Saba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diwhales

Reaction score
Those are my two choices facing me. Saba in April, or Galapagos in July. Cost is similar enough to not be a factor. I doubt many people have been to both of these, but if you have anything positive or negative to say about either, speak now! I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Diana

I haven't been to either but i'd go with Galapagos!

has world-class diving, one doesn't...does that make it easier to pick?

Without hesitation...Galapagos...I have not been but I know enough people that have been, all rating it as the best diving in the world. Make sure you go on a boat that will take you to Wolf and Darwin Island...not all do. It is on my very short list of places to go. I am so jealous! :D

Diwhales:
Those are my two choices facing me. Saba in April, or Galapagos in July. Cost is similar enough to not be a factor. I doubt many people have been to both of these, but if you have anything positive or negative to say about either, speak now! I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Diana

If cost is similarm for you, someone is WAAAAAAY overcharging you for Saba! Galapagos has one of the highest costs per dive in the world but it's worth it! Galapagos Marine Park Fees alone are astronomical! If you have enough experience to deal with cooler water & strong currents, do Galapagos without question!

How many dives have you done? While I've never been there, I've heard that the Galapagos can be really dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. I've heard that there are currents, high waves on the surface, and several shark species that you have to be cautious around, from scalloped hammerheads to the aptly named Galapagos sharks. Most divers that attempt to dive there have 100+ logged dives. Maybe I'm being overly paranoid here, but I really thing experience is something to keep in mind.

I have not been to Saba but Galapagos was great. You need to be comfortable in current and cooler temps (18 Celsius - 22C when I was there). Lots of sharks but none of them showed any interest in us. I agree with the suggestion to go up to Darwin and Woolf but I think it would be a shame to do a diving only trip, what is on land is half the attraction.
Have a great time.
Alison

no doubt i would choose the galapagos, thats once in a lifetime for me. no brainer man saba can always wait!

Ask me at the end of November! I'm going for a one week dive trip in the Galapagos, followed by a trip to Peru for a non diving week. Should be a great trip.

- Peter Hughes Sky Dancer, includes a trip out to Wolf and Darwin Islands as well as a couple of shore excursions.

Cheer for now,

Diver Dave

Diwhales:

Diana

I've been to Saba and while I haven't been to Galapagos I have been to Cocos Island which is similar in terms of the marine life. Saba is excellent but without a doubt go to the Galapagos.

Agree with the comment about experience levels also. If the Galapagos are similar to Cocos in terms of currents, deep diving, etc., experience levels should definitely be a consideration. The sharks aren't a worry but the currents could potentially present a problem to some divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom