Galapagos, Land Based Dive Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Cal from a P.M.:
Hi--I hope you don't mind a PM, but I've seen a number of your posts and would love to ask you for a bit of advice...

My GF and I are heading down to the Galapagos in late June. We're kind of late to get on the liveaboards, but don't really have the $$ for that anyway... Besides, as much as we like to dive, we're really excited about exploring topside as well...

It seems like the shore based dive shops offer package deals for 5 day or 8 day itinerarys with hotel... Is it easy to arrange dive trips and shore trips once I'm in the Galapogos, or do I really need to sign on with one of the package options? Is there a good place to sort of have a base of operations and keep my options open as to what I want to do from day to day?

Do you have any opinions on which shore based dive ops to go with? And any recommendations on hotels--my preference is for the smaller, quieter hotels that are close to restaurants, diveshops, center of town...

We're cold water divers from Seattle--I've got about 150 dives in, and my GF has maybe 50.

Thanks so much for any thoughts or advice!

Cal

So many North Americans only see the Galapagos as a liveaboard destination. This is due to marketing and advertising in the SCUBA mags that we read. Land based dive ops can not afford the advertising rates. You never hear of them.

Many Europeans travel to the Ecuadorian islands and never set foot on a liveaboard... yet dive all week long. True, most non-North Americans (Europeans, not so much Asians) want to take their diving a little less intesely, but it is entirely possible to do 4 dives per day on a land based dive trip to the Islands. You will see Hammerheads, maybe even a Whale Shark.

You will not enjoy the many long hours crossing to Wolf and Darwin Islands in a small pitching boat. This challenge is truly probably your single best opportunity for hundreds of Hammerheads (vs. three or two dozen that you would likely see on a land based) and the slight, ever-so slight chance of a Whale Shark. But, if you opt out of the liveaboard- every night you will get to enjoy a different restaurant or stroll through the Darwin Research Center at dusk.

By this point, 90% of the people that began reading this have dismissed this as BS. They are now off to dreaming of booking (and affording) the liveaboard "trip of a lifetime".

I've been on- I can't tell you how many liveaboards in the Galapagos. Here's how we do it nowadays: http://www.geocities.com/johnofrancis/galapagos.htm

First, you can't beat the dollar value for bennefit returned. Do a cost comparison. If you cant bring a land based trip in for 1/3 of a liveaboard, you aint trying.

Quality of liveaboards varies, as do qualities of land based operators. I don't have the time or bandwidth here to go into side by side comparisons of each land based dive op. My singular recommendation for Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz island: http://www.scubaiguana.com/

I say this after careful observation of the other operators- their shops, their staff, their presentation to me as a "shopper", their boats, their rental gear, their professionalism.

It is no mistake that SCUBA Iguana was chosen to host the Galapagos IMAX 3d film by Giddings. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=11847231323185&q=galapagos+imax&pl=true In this IMAX movie, you will see two people. One is the female star/exploring Doctor, the other diver is the guy that owns Scuba Iguana, Mathias Espinosa. He is the director of Diving Guides for the Darwin Station.

He runs a first class operation. You can book when you get there, sometimes you run the risk of his operation being busy, though. Advise him of your desires for diving. If you want 4 a day, it will happen. He or his DM's will assess your style and abilities with a very logical progression of dives that increase in "degree of difficulty".

The first dives at Academy Bay are fairly simple, but you may find them the most memorable. the Seals are used to divers and are not shy. They will put on an underwater ballet. I have seen the same huge female Stingray there for 8 years. Here you will feel some lateral currents.

Later, maybe a trip to Gordon Rocks, a test of your abilities to deal with currents plus downwellings. (See the website Trip report noted below) This submerged remnant of a volcano cone is attractive to Hammerheads and giant Mobula Rays. You will learn that it's okay to "hand over hand" your way through the volcanic underater flows.

The week gets better as the boat is left for you on the North side near the airport. A quick (included) cab ride (I suggest riding in the back of one of the pick up trucks) will deposit you at the waiting dive boat.

The Hotels? I like the Hotel Galapagos just attached to the dive op. It may be down for renovations. Ask their advice at Iguana. You can walk from SCUBA Iguana, which is literaly at the edge of Darwin Research station (The end of the road) all the way to the other end of the road- the "bustling" city center of Puerto Ayora... in ten minutes- if you dawdle. You will walk by 15 small hotels and ten restaurants- lots more on a side street. This is the "main drag" that every liveaboard diver walks down when they drop you off to see the Darwin Station and its collection of land turtles.

We eat at a different restauarnt every night, we had access to the grocery store daily, our beds were warm and dry... and did not rock. We took time to crawl in the mud on our bellies 150' underground through lava tubes.

And we dove our butts off.

So, maybe you saw the website about our Land Based trip to the Galloping Pogos? http://www.geocities.com/johnofrancis/galapagos.htm (sometimes Yahoo is actually up and working)

I also did the scubaiguana / hotel galapagos land based - very cool (although I would not get the package with hotel dinner included) - just go out an eat in town which is only a few minutes walk.

Hey Doc,
I took your advice and booked 3 days at Finch Bay on Santa Cruz for land based diving. Our hotel and land tours are already done. I am a bit surprised about the high fees $90 for academy bay, $90 night dive, $125 Gordon, $130 Seymour. ( only b/c of your previous post about getting it done cheaply-- but I suspect that was for packages only?) I have to pay an additional $50 single supplement fee for all dives, as apparently I am the only diver on Santa Cruz 6/23--6/25/06. Are these prices about right, or high? Also, they don't accept credit cards, and want a direct bank transfer. Is this usual? Can I trust them? Do you still believe SCUBA Iguana is the best dive shop on Santa Cruz?

Also, I need to get DAN insurance asap. How quickly will I be covered if I sign up now? I leave 6-21-06.

Are their wet suits going to be warm enough for a coldie? Or do I really need to buy my own before I go? They report they have 2 piece 7mm with hoods, but you know the quality of some rentals... Do they have ankle weights, or should I bring my own? (I have emailed this question to them, but it is always nice to have an insiders viewpoint.)

Any Digital Photography tips for the trip? Any tips at all will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
C.

Globetravelgirl:
I took your advice and booked 3 days at Finch Bay on Santa Cruz for land based diving. Our hotel and land tours are already done. I am a bit surprised about the high fees $90 for academy bay, $90 night dive, $125 Gordon, $130 Seymour. ( only b/c of your previous post about getting it done cheaply-- but I suspect that was for packages only?)

I have to pay an additional $50 single supplement fee for all dives, as apparently I am the only diver on Santa Cruz 6/23--6/25/06. Are these prices about right, or high? Also, they don't accept credit cards, and want a direct bank transfer. Is this usual? Can I trust them? Do you still believe SCUBA Iguana is the best dive shop on Santa Cruz?

oooh....nasty having to pay extra for being the only one on the boat...suprising that no one else is diving that weekend....but there are several operators on the island if $ are an issue - you could try and do "walk"-in"s when you get there (or google and e-mail them) - maybe the other ops have some people diving already. see if you can get a discount for diving multiple days.

Globetravelgirl:
Also, I need to get DAN insurance asap. How quickly will I be covered if I sign up now? I leave 6-21-06.
You are covered instantly when you pay on-line (print out the confirmation while you are waiting for them to send your card) - but the card usually arrives in a week or so, so sign up sooner rather than later.

I'm back, loved it all--see my new thread about the details. The only thing I would report about Scuba Iguana is that Mathias Espinoza has moved and lives on a different island. I am told he rarely is at the shop anymore, and I never got to meet him.

Hi Roatanman & Globetravelgirl!

I'm heading to the Galapagos on 11th September 06 for 2 or 3 weeks.
I was going to do my divemaster as a way to get lots of dives for what I thought would be a relatively cheaper per dive rate and get the course done at the same time, but doing the DM course with Scuba Iguana you just get 12 dives in Academy Bay only and lots of study time so I've decided against it.

I want to do landbased diving as I can't afford a liveaboard. Scuba Iguana quoted $1800 for 30 dives which is $60 a dive. I'll only be able to afford to do about 12 dives max at this rate and a disadvantage is that you can't get to Darwin and Wolf Islands.
My last foreign diving was very good diving in the Gili Islands in Indonesia for $25 a dive so I didn't expect it to be this expensive!

I'm hoping they'll give me the $60 rate for 12 dives. Is this the best deal I could get for landbased diving with a reputable dive centre out there do you think?
Replies from you guys who've been there done that would be greatly appreciated!

Is there anything happening on the other islands with regard to dive centres operating from there and might they be cheaper do you think?
Many thanks
MT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom