Galapagos Inquiry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I have used a 5mm in Greece this past May and the water temp was around 68 and I started to get cold, so I think better to invest in a 7mm and not be cold.. my wife and I did two weeks of diving this year in Koh Tao and Phuket and loved it..any reccomends between kevlar gloves and reef hooks for Galapagos?

Hi Brillo, and welcome.
I have just returned from the Galapagos, and will post a trip report soon. The waters were unusually warm, we were getting temps of upper 70's to near 80 at Wolf and Darwin, and 72 in the southern islands, probably due to an El Nino developing. From what I understand from the guides, if a full El Nino pattern does develop, you may encounter mucn warmer temps as well. I did a 10 day trip aboard the Lammer Law, and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. I fully endorse the prior opinion to stay as long as possible, especially after investing in the trip and gear, and check into the land tour options. You may have a tough time, as I did, flying into the islands early or leaving late, as the seats on flights are assigned to the boats on certain days, in large part. I recommend kevlar gloves, they are worth the cost. Best of luck in your forthcoming trip. PM me if you have questions.

Sincerely,
Slingshot

Just wanted to let everyone know that the trip on the Aggressor in the Galapagos was amazing. Granted it costs an arm and a leg, but it is worthe every penny, from the tasty warm post dive snacks to the hearty soups at lunch, all the little details make Aggressor downright plush. We had eight whale shark sightings at Darwin Arch and tons of hammerheads at Wolf, sea lions, dolphins, Galapagos sharks, and just tons of life everywhere you looked. The water was very warm, I brought along a 7mm but would up using a 3mm with a 5mm hooded vest all week and it was fine for the 78 degree water. Anyone thinking about making the trip out there should def go as soon as you can get out there.

slingshot:
Hi Brillo, and welcome.
I have just returned from the Galapagos, and will post a trip report soon. The waters were unusually warm, we were getting temps of upper 70's to near 80 at Wolf and Darwin, and 72 in the southern islands, probably due to an El Nino developing. From what I understand from the guides, if a full El Nino pattern does develop, you may encounter mucn warmer temps as well. I did a 10 day trip aboard the Lammer Law, and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. I fully endorse the prior opinion to stay as long as possible, especially after investing in the trip and gear, and check into the land tour options. You may have a tough time, as I did, flying into the islands early or leaving late, as the seats on flights are assigned to the boats on certain days, in large part. I recommend kevlar gloves, they are worth the cost. Best of luck in your forthcoming trip. PM me if you have questions.

Sincerely,
Slingshot

Can't wait to see your trip report. I hope to make it there
soon.

Gator Diver:
Can't wait to see your trip report. I hope to make it there
soon.

I think "Brillo" owes the board one, as well.

Been a few years now since I did the Galapagos.
My recommendations would be:

5mm should be okay, 7mm is uncomfortable in high temps. Bring a hood with you, wear it OUTSIDE the mask strap - begin the dive with it around your neck.
You will nearly always meet thermoclines in the Galaps. Sometimes three on one dive. It is nice to be able to pull up the hood over your head when you feel the nip.
On the journey back up, you can place it back on your neck - warm and refreshing!

Diving the northern islands are a must. You will love what they offer.

If El Nino strikes then you will have to dive deep - watch out for downcurrents by keeping one eye on the wall.

Enjoy the night dives, special.

Best of luck,

Seadeuce

Back
Top Bottom