Galapagos Inquiry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brilloNYC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all.. new to the board, my wife and I are in the first stages of making arrangements for a 7 night live aboard to the Galapagos for this upcoming Novemeber. I caught a post from another member re a trip heading out on Nov 16th for 7 nights. Wanted to know if anyone has any reccomendations or suggestions. Thanks.

No suggestions here as I've yet to dive the Galapagos, but ENJOY your trip. Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Welcome to Scuba Board
:wave-smil :wave-smil

Jason :chicken:

Hi! Welcome to ScubaBoard. Have a great time on your trip and remember to give us all the juicy details when you get back.

hi and yes,
contact dave@indianvalleyscuba.com
He takes a dive group to the Galapagos islands from the states, Also you can look up the "Lammer Law" in the Galapagos Islands, It's the sister ship to the "Cuan Law" in Tortola, BVI. I've been on the "Cuan Law", had a great time. Nice people and good service! (www.cuanlaw.com)
Hopes this helps,
Chris
Puerto Rico

WELCOME TO THE SCUBA BOARD !!!!

Howdy and welcome to SB!

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

As I mentioned in one of the other current Galapagos threads, I sailed aboard the Daphne on a 12-day charter. My advice is to stay as long as you can, and to make sure you get a boat that combines diving and topside island visits. Other than the days we spent up at the northern islands of Darwin and Wolfe, we did island visits every afternoon. It is my understanding that having a government-registered naturalist aboard is required of all boats, to lead visitors on the topside stops and to work with the dive coordinator to discuss marine ecosystems as well. You will need lots of digital camera memory (or film) for each outing.

Other advice: Depending on the time of year you plan to go, the water can be quite chilly. I was cold on every dive, even wearing a 7 mm fullsuit topped by a 7 mm shortie (not to mention three hoods layered on one another). Some people in our group were diving dry, and how I envied them! Also, if you are shooting pictures underwater, it is a good idea to take along a reef hook for those times when you encounter current. Finally, pack a couple of pairs of gloves since you may tear holes in one pair trying to hang onto rocks in the current.

Galapagos is unforgettable and totally worth all the money and logistical arrangements needed to get there. I have an external page dedicated to my own Galapagos trip, if you'd like to take a look:
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/58940/8d3/

I went to the Galapagos last November and simply loved it. My only regret is not spending enough time on the islands. We were on the Sky Dancer for seven days of diving and only a couple of short shore excursions. When I do it again, I will add a second part to the trip that does not include scuba {forgive me for saying this...} but specifically targets some of the things I want to see on the islands.

As to the water temperatures, it's all relative. The group that I went with were all living and diving in Ontario. So with the water temps between 66 and 75 F we all found it wonderful!

Enjoy your trip and bring along a camera.

Thanks all... we were thinking of doing the 11 night but thought it may be a bit too much since we were really beat after only 5 nights on a live aboard in AUS out on the Coral Sea... as for wetsuits, is a 5mm going to be enough for November or do I need to invest in a 7mm?

Thanks again for all the helpful replies

brilloNYC:
as for wetsuits, is a 5mm going to be enough for November or do I need to invest in a 7mm?

As aushealer says, it's relative to what you are used to and how much you feel the cold. I personally wear a 7 in water around 20° C (68° F), which was the top end of the water temps I experienced in the Galapagos (I got from 15° C/59° F to 20° C/68° F, with most dives somewhere in between). I would begin to feel cold with my layered 5 mm two-piece after 18 to 20 minutes of dive time. But as you can see from my location, I'm a warm water wimp!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom