Galapagos in Aug- Need info. Thanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahlaoeh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi there,

I'll be going for my dream Galapagos trip this Aug....counting down, 83 day to go...YIPEEEEEEEEEEEE.

As this will be my 1st time diving in cold water (18-24°C), therefore I need some info on what type of gloves (thickness, material) & booties to use. Is a fish hook really necessary?? Any other useful info. on diving in the Galapagos will be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

wahlaoeh:
As this will be my 1st time diving in cold water (18-24°C), therefore I need some info on what type of gloves (thickness, material) & booties to use. Is a fish hook really necessary?? Any other useful info. on diving in the Galapagos will be very much appreciated.Jovin-

Only you can decide what those temperatures will mean to you.

Many years ago I arrived at the Galapagos and only had a thick Polar Fleece. I toughed it out as my buddy was cold in her 7 mil. It was not pleasant for my, but I did my three to four a day.

Reef hooks are not necessary but not frowned upon. It is all lava rock. Money better spent on some tough leather gloves. We never needed the hooks, just play the currents like a glider plane.

Any place that you would really need to hook-into, your next and immediate problem would be your reg being torn from your mouth. Hooking-in is an amateur sport.

Who is your diver operator?

Hi Wahlaoeh

I was in Galapagos last November. Temps at that time were between 16 and 24 degrees centigrade. Most people were diving in 7mm semi dry or wet suits. I had my 7mm farmer john and jacket and never felt cold, but those temperatures were warmer than my usual.

I would advising ensuring that you have a hood and a good pair of gloves, and maybe something you can slip under your wet suit if your feel cold. My gloves were only 3mm and ended up a bit battered by the rocks but electrical tape around the finger pads is a good remedy.

No one was using a reef hook, you just grab a bit of rock (no coral to worry about) and nestle down, or glide along above.

Have a great time, we did.

Alison

alijtaylor:
Hi Wahlaoeh

I was in Galapagos last November. Temps at that time were between 16 and 24 degrees centigrade. Most people were diving in 7mm semi dry or wet suits. I had my 7mm farmer john and jacket and never felt cold, but those temperatures were warmer than my usual.

I would advising ensuring that you have a hood and a good pair of gloves, and maybe something you can slip under your wet suit if your feel cold. My gloves were only 3mm and ended up a bit battered by the rocks but electrical tape around the finger pads is a good remedy.

No one was using a reef hook, you just grab a bit of rock (no coral to worry about) and nestle down, or glide along above.

Have a great time, we did.

Alison

Hi Alson,

How was the diving in November? I'm booked to go this year and can't wait, well yes I can but....I can;t wait ! I've been watching the El Nino forcasts and from what i've read it's a light to "normal" year forcast. i hope so. Please share details ! November details are hard to come by.

wahlaoeh:
Hi there,

I'll be going for my dream Galapagos trip this Aug....counting down, 83 day to go...YIPEEEEEEEEEEEE.

As this will be my 1st time diving in cold water (18-24°C), therefore I need some info on what type of gloves (thickness, material) & booties to use. Is a fish hook really necessary?? Any other useful info. on diving in the Galapagos will be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

Hi Jovin,

I've also looked at this quandry. First, look what the potential or average water temps will be when you are there. I've been receommended to take a 5 mm full suit with a hoaded polar tec, 5 mm boots, socks and 3 mm gloves but i don;t chill that much more than normal. 7 mm might be in order if you chill easily. I've heard dry suit isn;t necessary. Be sure to take a safety sausage and a signal device.....the third most important piece of equipment will undoubtedly be your camera. ; D

Have a great time and I'm following you in November.

Deano2

Dear all, thanks so much for all ur useful info.

I guess I'm quite tolerant to cold, did one "cold" dive in Timor Leste this Feb in my 0.5mm full suit & my dive computer clocked 22°C....I felt cold but survived!!

I've tailor-made a 7/5mm full suit & a 3mm hood for my Galapagos trip. I chanced upon the Gladiator booth (Australian made) at the "Celebrate The Sea" exhibition last Sunday & got myself a pair of gloves & socks ("thermal" rashguard material), to be worn under my current pairs of 2-3mm gloves & boots. I do not want to get the leathery kind as I will be taking pixs & I don't want to lose flexibilty cos' I will not have any trip in-between to season them.....hope I'll be OK.

I'll post a trip report after my return...

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

Deano2:
Hi Alson,

How was the diving in November? I'm booked to go this year and can't wait, well yes I can but....I can;t wait ! I've been watching the El Nino forcasts and from what i've read it's a light to "normal" year forcast. i hope so. Please share details ! November details are hard to come by.

Diving was fantastic. My understanding is that November is regarded as the end of the whale shark season but in the time we had at Darwin and Woolf in late November, I think there were what was regarded as ten different sightings between the 16 of us diving (in two basic groups). I saw Mr Big on three occassions and was very chuffed to have done so. But there is a considerable element of luck, I was on Lammerlaw and another boat was moored up there for a few days and reported no whale shark sightings. So don't count on anything and everthing is a bonus.

We did not see the heaps of schooling hammerheads that I had read of, more a passing parade. When we were perched on the balcony at Darwin's Arch on some dives there was just a stream of them, cruising the stip past us and sometimes peeling off to come within a metre or two.. On one occassion when we drifted down over the sand someone counted 19 basking there below us. Marlin and silky sharks, dolphins (on surface) and pilot whales (also on surface) rays - golden, eagle and matra, red lipped bat fish (twice) and at times so many jacks and other fish that you wished they would get out of the way to let you see something behind them. Just awesome.

So in short I had a good time but don't absolutely make your anticipation depend on seeing anything in case it doesn't show..

Cheers

Alison

alijtaylor:
Diving was fantastic. My understanding is that November is regarded as the end of the whale shark season but in the time we had at Darwin and Woolf in late November, I think there were what was regarded as ten different sightings between the 16 of us diving (in two basic groups). I saw Mr Big on three occassions and was very chuffed to have done so. But there is a considerable element of luck, I was on Lammerlaw and another boat was moored up there for a few days and reported no whale shark sightings. So don't count on anything and everthing is a bonus.

We did not see the heaps of schooling hammerheads that I had read of, more a passing parade. When we were perched on the balcony at Darwin's Arch on some dives there was just a stream of them, cruising the stip past us and sometimes peeling off to come within a metre or two.. On one occassion when we drifted down over the sand someone counted 19 basking there below us. Marlin and silky sharks, dolphins (on surface) and pilot whales (also on surface) rays - golden, eagle and matra, red lipped bat fish (twice) and at times so many jacks and other fish that you wished they would get out of the way to let you see something behind them. Just awesome.

So in short I had a good time but don't absolutely make your anticipation depend on seeing anything in case it doesn't show..

Cheers

Alison

Hi Alison,

Sounds like you lived The Life on your trip ! I'm sure that I am in for lots of surprises too. Whether I get to see the masses of hammerheads or a Whale shark (or 3 like some people...) is as you say a matter of luck. I know someone who saw 3 oceanic white tips and another who did get to see the huge schools of hammers but that was years ago. Who knows, with all the fishing and shark finning maybe the days of massive schools are over. Let's hope not.

Keep in touch and thanks for the details.

Deano2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom