Gaining Media Attention for Removal of Dangerous Fishing Net

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil, that's a much better idea!

Heard from Kurt earlier this evening that the L A Times is sending a reporter and camera crew to cover the story. Great news and kudos to Kurt for getting some potential media coverage for this issue!

Thanks for posting the story. For some strange reason I was told by a diver not affiliated with this effort that the Capt. Jack and Kurt had returned to the mainland Sat afternoon so I didn't even know they were working on the net Sunday. Glad to see Kurt and the divers had success (and got some good coverage), but of course it will take more trips to completely remove the offending net.

It is important to raise awareness of this problem in the minds of the public. These nets are not visible to most people. If someone were to leave a net (or other "junk" of this size on Half Dome or draped over the redwoods, it would command attention, public outcry and immediate removal.

Gotta love the media. I appreciate the noteriety, but that wasn't my photo. And in the Times article,"the divers relied on tanks filled with a special nitrous oxide mixture that enabled them to spend more time at the bottom while reducing the chances of contracting the bends, or decompression sickness."

The good news is that ODA was able to work with several divers risking everything to remove the net. My hood's off to all of them.
‘Killer’ net attacked by divers off Catalina Island - Green OC - OCRegister.com

Gotta love the media. I appreciate the noteriety, but that wasn't my photo. And in the Times article,"the divers relied on tanks filled with a special nitrous oxide mixture that enabled them to spend more time at the bottom while reducing the chances of contracting the bends, or decompression sickness."

The good news is that ODA was able to work with several divers risking everything to remove the net. My hood's off to all of them.
Á¬iller net attacked by divers off Catalina Island - Green OC - OCRegister.com

I was reading that article and was asked by the lady sitting next to me, "What's so funny! - They did a good thing helping those poor fishies."

I tried to explain but she would not hear it. She was incensed that I was giggling she just could not get past it.:shakehead:

Kudos and good job to all those who helped remove the net. The planet and our oceans are better just having you around.

After much research, it turns out that I did take that picture. It was from the African Queen. I tend to forget the out of focus, backscatter-filled images. :)

:confused:

I sent Pat Brennan a link to my Photobucket site, and I had other wreck pictures in the same category as the ones from the Fog Wreck and nearby net we dived on last year.
My favorite was a shot of a fish that Merry cut out of the net,
DSCF1746.jpg

I was reading that article and was asked by the lady sitting next to me, "What's so funny! - They did a good thing helping those poor fishies."

I tried to explain but she would not hear it. She was incensed that I was giggling she just could not get past it.:shakehead:

Should have told her that you'd been breathing nitrous oxide all day and are still laughing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom