gagging and choking when descending...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_blue

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When I start descending and try to equalise I always gag when holding my nose and blowing. It takes me twice as long as anyone else to reach 10 meters :(.

Any ideas as to why I do this? I'm close to being sick sometimes. this only happens for the 1st 10 meters or so then I can equalise easily as I change depth.

I would recommend to start eq. before you even get in the water. About 10 min before you suit up...eq....then after you suit up....eq.....before you jump in...eq ....and eq as you go down not waiting for the feeling that you need to. When you feel that...its almost too late.

I had a problem eq one ear constantly but when I took this approach...no problem at all
good luck

I try to eq at the surface and all the way down, but as soon as in under (even .5m) i gag as if i've swallowed salt water.

Maybe it's the salt water doing it, even the tiny amount you get going in...

Hi there and welcome to the board!

Gagging during equilisation doesn't sound too good :-( Although I havn't heard of anyone having a similar problem I'm really curious: Have you tried other equalization techniques - such as swallowing or wiggling your jaw? And if so what happens? Sound like you could be forcing air where its not supposed to be...

A few more questions -

Are you fine on the surface? (any nausea from the boat trip? do you feel any discomfort swimming without a mask?)
Do you wear a hood/feel constricted around the neck?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
Are you fine on the surface? (any nausea from the boat trip? do you feel any discomfort swimming without a mask?)
Do you wear a hood/feel constricted around the neck?

I had similar issues to what the originating poster inquired about. It took a couple years to figure out. (Can't believe it in hindsight!) Turned out to be a hood that was too small / tight. One day I borrowed a friend's hood and all my issues disappeared.

Hope your issue is as minor and easy to work out.

Paula

Sounds to me like you're holding your breath as you try to equalise...
Best thing to do is try and take some time in a swimming pool with a DM or inst and see if they can spot what you're doing wrong.

SF

diver_paula:
I had similar issues to what the originating poster inquired about. It took a couple years to figure out. (Can't believe it in hindsight!) Turned out to be a hood that was too small / tight. One day I borrowed a friend's hood and all my issues disappeared.

Hope your issue is as minor and easy to work out.

Paula

Hi there Paula - I once had a hood which was too tight as well: same thing - gagging and generally feeling uncomfortable. I agree with scubafreak that the best thing to do is to go somewhere sheltered and try other less forceful equalisation techniques: with and without a hood.
Cheers,
Rohan.

The_blue:
When I start descending and try to equalise I always gag when holding my nose and blowing. It takes me twice as long as anyone else to reach 10 meters

That's an odd problem that I haven't heard about yet. I had trouble using the hold your nose and blow method (Valsava), and could never get it to work. Another reason I don't like this method is it's very easy to blow too much and cause damage. I eventually watched a video by a scuba diving ear doctor here on scubaboard who outlined several different methods.

The one I ended up using successfully was the Lowry, where you basically hold your nose and blow gently while swallowing. For some people, the lucky ones, just wiggling the jaw or swallowing works.

Here is a list from DAN of the various methods and their names:

• Equalizing Techniques
  • Passive - requires no effort
  • Valsalva - increase nasopharynx pressure by holding nose and breathing against a closed glottis (throat)
  • Toynbee - swallowing with mouth and nose closed - good for ascent!
  • Frenzel - Valsalva while contracting throat muscles with a closed glottis
  • Lowry - Valsalva plus Toynbee - holding nose, gently trying to blow air out of nose while swallowing - easiest and best method!
  • Edmonds - jutting jaw forward plus Valsalva and/or Frenzel (good method)
  • Miscellaneous - swallowing, wiggling jaws - good for ascent!

Here is a link for interesting ear info:

http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/MEbaro.html

Here is the link for the video I mentioned:

http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.asp?rid=789

Kriterian:
That's an odd problem that I haven't heard about yet. I had trouble using the hold your nose and blow method (Valsava), and could never get it to work. Another reason I don't like this method is it's very easy to blow too much and cause damage. I eventually watched a video by a scuba diving ear doctor here on scubaboard who outlined several different methods.

The one I ended up using successfully was the Lowry, where you basically hold your nose and blow gently while swallowing. For some people, the lucky ones, just wiggling the jaw or swallowing works.

Here is a list from DAN of the various methods and their names:

• Equalizing Techniques
  • Passive - requires no effort
  • Valsalva - increase nasopharynx pressure by holding nose and breathing against a closed glottis (throat)
  • Toynbee - swallowing with mouth and nose closed - good for ascent!
  • Frenzel - Valsalva while contracting throat muscles with a closed glottis
  • Lowry - Valsalva plus Toynbee - holding nose, gently trying to blow air out of nose while swallowing - easiest and best method!
  • Edmonds - jutting jaw forward plus Valsalva and/or Frenzel (good method)
  • Miscellaneous - swallowing, wiggling jaws - good for ascent!

Here is a link for interesting ear info:

http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/MEbaro.html

Here is the link for the video I mentioned:

http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.asp?rid=789
Thanks Kriterian,
I followed your link and discovered I naturally use the BTV technique to equalize. It has been difficult to explain in the past because I just sort of "flex" muscles back by my eustachian tubes. I have never had to Valsalva. Thanks again. You are never too old to learn something new.
Deep Sea Alan

Deep Sea Alan:
Thanks Kriterian,
I followed your link and discovered I naturally use the BTV technique to equalize. It has been difficult to explain in the past because I just sort of "flex" muscles back by my eustachian tubes. I have never had to Valsalva. Thanks again. You are never too old to learn something new.
Deep Sea Alan

Welcome. Like most muscle based maneuvers, it's hard to describe it to someone else. It's just one of those things people have to play around with (safely) and grasp on their own.

Back
Top Bottom