Gag Strap Setup Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OTF

Coney Island Whitefish Biologist
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It seems that there is a growing body of evidence that diving a rebreather with gag strap + BOV increases safety by some marginal amount so I'd like to try running a gag strap. Those of you who dive them - how is yours rigged and what do you like or dislike about the different ways to set them up? Is there a cheap way to do it? I know "tech diving is expensive" but it seems crazy to pay $100 for such a small simple item.

If you want to debate the merits of diving a gag strap at all please bump one of the existing threads or start a new one. I'd like to keep this one about "how" not "why".

There are a few options I've seen online, curious about the pros and cons of each:
  • This one from narkedat90 that I think comes to $133, stretchy silicone? https://www.narkedat90.com/bpas-rebreather-safety-mouthpiece-with-strap.html
    BPAS-1.jpg
  • This one from Silent Diving, webbing strap with snap buckle, $88.99 Rebreather Safety Mouthpiece
    RBSM-rebreather-safety-mouthpiece-frontview-features-apdiving-2000_002.jpg
  • A DIY'd combination of the above two options that uses a nice neoprene pad but a stretchy strap, possibly with a quick buckle. Does anyone sell just the flanged mouthpiece for a reasonable price?

• This, or something similar DIY'd (bungee, surgical tubing, or a modified mask strap) that attaches to the body of the BOV like this, circumventing the need for an expensive specialized mouthpiece. This also seems good because the mouthpiece ziptie doesn't have to bear the brunt of a heavy BOV + HUD. But they don't all work this way so there might be a reason some people don't like it?
    headstrap2-1-1020x1024.png
Thank you all for any input you have.

The one you posted from N@90 is the newer version of the drager safety strap, IIRC. It's a revo part (R521), and can be purchased in the US through shops that sell revo parts. I got it from DGX a year ago, but it looks like it's also available from Paragon, Ocean Edge, etc.

It's still $129. Do you like it?

Ah, it was a bit cheaper a year ago. Shipping is probably less than from overseas, too (but then you don't get packets of candy from N@90 in the package).

The silicone one is a definite improvement over the older rubber ones. I do like the gag strap, although to be honest, I've been switching back and forth between it and the aqualung comfo-bite mouthpieces recently.

Reactions: OTF
Covering off on your 'how' curiosity, another option for a BOV gag strap that has been around for the past decade; is the strap having clips engineered into the ALVBOV: see
Not refitable to other makes of BOV however but as the strap itself is just a mask strap it is pretty cheap to replace. Requires a change in training procedures though as you can't just let the loop float over your head; it tucks under your chin. But with a BOV that has the same WOB as a high performance 2nd stage there is less need to get off the BOV.

From a discussion previously and @rjack321 's recommen dation, I picked up the Draeger gag strap.I've used it for a couple dives. It is a little awkward honestly having an addition strap that goes over my mask strap (so that it stays in place in the unlikely case I do go unconscious). But not a big deal. Just something new.

I likely will never orally inflate my DSMB as a result, but be deep enough for a short blast into an open ended one so that it's full when it hits the surface. I'll have to experiment to determine the appropriate depth. Just a side effect.

I made this decision after a discussion in which @Dr Simon Mitchell pointed out the data supporting the use of the gag strap.

From a discussion previously and @rjack321 's recommen dation, I picked up the Draeger gag strap.I've used it for a couple dives. It is a little awkward honestly having an addition strap that goes over my mask strap (so that it stays in place in the unlikely case I do go unconscious). But not a big deal. Just something new.

I likely will never orally inflate my DSMB as a result, but be deep enough for a short blast into an open ended one so that it's full when it hits the surface. I'll have to experiment to determine the appropriate depth. Just a side effect.

I made this decision after a discussion in which @Dr Simon Mitchell pointed out the data supporting the use of the gag strap.
You can put it under your mask strap too, doesnt really matter.

If you put a BC whip on your BO you'll have a readily accessible way to inflate SMBs.

If you put a BC whip on your BO you'll have a readily accessible way to inflate SMBs.
I've been thinking about that as I have one but haven't decided either way.

although it's a bit huge

I put my mask strap under the hood so the gag strap doesn't interfere with it.

If diving with a helmet I put the gag over the helmet to simplify removal.

Its a Draeger also and plenty of slack to do this.

Might just be me but I have found it's easy to get slack jawed using a gag, which can then result in a disconcerting snorting phenomenon late in a dive as your soft palate relaxes.

Gripping the mouthpiece properly deals with it though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom