Gag Strap Setup Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems that there is a growing body of evidence that diving a rebreather with gag strap + BOV increases safety by some marginal amount so I'd like to try running a gag strap. Those of you who dive them - how is yours rigged and what do you like or dislike about the different ways to set them up? Is there a cheap way to do it? I know "tech diving is expensive" but it seems crazy to pay $100 for such a small simple item.

If you want to debate the merits of diving a gag strap at all please bump one of the existing threads or start a new one. I'd like to keep this one about "how" not "why".

There are a few options I've seen online, curious about the pros and cons of each:
  • This one from narkedat90 that I think comes to $133, stretchy silicone? Rebreather safety mouthpiece with strap
    BPAS-1.jpg
  • This one from Silent Diving, webbing strap with snap buckle, $88.99 Rebreather Safety Mouthpiece
    RBSM-rebreather-safety-mouthpiece-frontview-features-apdiving-2000_002.jpg
  • A DIY'd combination of the above two options that uses a nice neoprene pad but a stretchy strap, possibly with a quick buckle. Does anyone sell just the flanged mouthpiece for a reasonable price?

• This, or something similar DIY'd (bungee, surgical tubing, or a modified mask strap) that attaches to the body of the BOV like this, circumventing the need for an expensive specialized mouthpiece. This also seems good because the mouthpiece ziptie doesn't have to bear the brunt of a heavy BOV + HUD. But they don't all work this way so there might be a reason some people don't like it?
    headstrap2-1-1020x1024.png
Thank you all for any input you have.
How about the truly cost effective DIY method? Take some bungee like you would use for a reg necklace, tie one end around each side of the DSV/BOV (preferably someplace solid near the connection to the hoses), and make it long enough to get over your head, but short enough that it provides the needed tension to keep the mouthpiece in your mouth. You should be able to make this for about 5 bucks. This should work OK even if you have a DSV with no BOV as long as you make the necklace on your OC reg long enough to reach around the front of the DSV and into your mouth when needed (as the DSV will end up tight to your neck when not in your mouth).

How about the truly cost effective DIY method? Take some bungee like you would use for a reg necklace, tie one end around each side of the DSV/BOV (preferably someplace solid near the connection to the hoses), and make it long enough to get over your head, but short enough that it provides the needed tension to keep the mouthpiece in your mouth. You should be able to make this for about 5 bucks. This should work OK even if you have a DSV with no BOV as long as you make the necklace on your OC reg long enough to reach around the front of the DSV and into your mouth when needed (as the DSV will end up tight to your neck when not in your mouth).
Not sure how comfortable that setup will be. Also, bungee is round and may roll off.

The gag stap in question - I believe the standard rEvo, $129 - is quite comfortable and sits well at all the right angles.

Reactions: OTF
The main point about the Revo/Draeger strap is it's somewhat adjustable, like a mask strap. It's relatively easy to pull tight and release.

The Draeger moutpiece has that large lip shield to which the gag strap is connected and this stops the mouthpiece being pulled off.

Why not a simple regulator necklace bungee as the ones used for short hoses in OC?

1662130504309.png

Why not a simple regulator necklace bungee as the ones used for short hoses in OC?

View attachment 741353
Could that pull the mouthpiece off if the regulator's pulled? If that happened on a rebreather, the loop would most likely be flooded*** and a bailout would be necessary.

The purpose for the Gag Strap on a rebreather is should the diver pass out, the mouthpiece will be firmly held in place.

*** depends on the rebreather's flood tolerance.

View attachment 741353
Bungee rolls, and if it’s tight enough to keep reg on your mouth passed out, it won’t be comfortable because of the small amount of surface area present relative to something like the Mares gag strap

You also need the mouth flange for the set up to be effective. The strap holds the mouthpiece in and the flange prevents significant ingress of water when the unconscious diver loosens their facial muscles and lips. With the flange, the device does not have to be particularly tight in order to be effective. Mine is typically looser than the mask strap, which is as it is supposed to be in order to get it off in a hurry.

From a discussion previously and @rjack321 's recommen dation, I picked up the Draeger gag strap.I've used it for a couple dives. It is a little awkward honestly having an addition strap that goes over my mask strap (so that it stays in place in the unlikely case I do go unconscious). But not a big deal. Just something new.

I likely will never orally inflate my DSMB as a result, but be deep enough for a short blast into an open ended one so that it's full when it hits the surface. I'll have to experiment to determine the appropriate depth. Just a side effect.

I made this decision after a discussion in which @Dr Simon Mitchell pointed out the data supporting the use of the gag strap.
Do you mind sharing this data?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom