Unknown Gabinière Islet fatality - Port-Cros National Park , France

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Google translation...
A 70-year-old man died on Monday July 15 in a diving accident off the coast of Port-Cros (Var), BFM Toulon Var learned.

A group outing​

The victim was on a diving trip with a group to the Îlot de la Gabinière, a place well known to divers.

Despite the rapid intervention of the Var firefighters and the Samu, the man was declared dead on the spot. The circumstances of the accident are not yet known.

I can see why some dive ops require a fit to dive letter from a doctor for divers of a certain age.
Is that really common? I've never been asked for one and I'm six years older than the deceased. I have several doctors who would give me one but I doubt that they know much about the challenges of Scuba. I spent three months of the last year inpatient but none of them actually cautioned me on any activity. I guess that they trusted my judgment.

Is that really common? I've never been asked for one and I'm six years older than the deceased. I have several doctors who would give me one but I doubt that they know much about the challenges of Scuba. I spent three months of the last year inpatient but none of them actually cautioned me on any activity. I guess that they trusted my judgment.
I need one for the Maldives live aboard we're headed to in a few months. I remember needing one for a training course I took, maybe the diver propulsion one. That might have just been that shop operator, he was a pretty cautious guy.

When I lived on Bonaire we had a odd number of males over 60 that died "diving" in a short time. I put diving in quotes because one of them geared up at the Salt Pier, walked into the water and suffered a fatal heart attack before his feet left the bottom. Another was a solo diver and went in at The Cliff. He talked to the people in the dive shop there and said he intended to go out in the shallows for a few minutes to do a buoyancy check before he took off. In minutes he struggled to get out of the water, the staff met him and got him out but he died.

That got me thinking and I'm glad the requirement for the upcoming trip jogged my memory to be seen.

I am not sure it is the same accident but I think so : the guy went to 64 meters the morning and 78 meters the afternoon (on air). So yes he was 70 but is that the main reason ? I am 67 and, not only because of my age, I would never go to 64 meters in the morning and 78 for my second dive !! And I think anyone reasonable should not do that whatever the age

Is that really common?

In France, it's mandatory for to be a FFESSM club member (most non-profit clubs are part of the FFESSM). Some commercial operators are also asking for it but that's not a requirement of the regulations (it could be one of their insurance).

I am not sure it is the same accident but I think so

It isn't. Not the same site (La Gabinière vs a wreck close to St Raphaël), not the same date (July 15 vs end of May, beginning of June).

I need one for the Maldives live aboard we're headed to in a few months. I remember needing one for a training course I took, maybe the diver propulsion one. That might have just been that shop operator, he was a pretty cautious guy.

When I lived on Bonaire we had a odd number of males over 60 that died "diving" in a short time. I put diving in quotes because one of them geared up at the Salt Pier, walked into the water and suffered a fatal heart attack before his feet left the bottom. Another was a solo diver and went in at The Cliff. He talked to the people in the dive shop there and said he intended to go out in the shallows for a few minutes to do a buoyancy check before he took off. In minutes he struggled to get out of the water, the staff met him and got him out but he died.

That got me thinking and I'm glad the requirement for the upcoming trip jogged my memory to be seen.

I've never had to provide a doctor's letter for lob in Maldives. Do they require that based on an age?

I believe you need one for a training course. In fact the WRSTC form says "training" right on top. That's not the same as needing one for "a dive".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom