GA dive sites for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During my certification I was surprised at how few mentions Lanier got. What is there to see? How is visibility? Temperature? Is it good for a newbie? I need to start diving lakes regardless because although I want to dive for recreation my ultimate goal is to be able to do underwater recovery as it relates to my career. Thanks for the info

There's lots in Lanier but usually the vis gets in the way. I'm new to diving and it's a good place to practice--with a buddy--since the visibility is often less-than-ideal; you get used to the poor vis so when/if you do get silt-outs, etc, you won't freak out when you can't see 40+ feet ahead of you like in the Caribbean, etc. Also good for recovery practice for the same reason.

I was at West Bank park yesterday and the viz was maybe 6ft. Surface temp was 81, with a thermocline at about 22 feet. The same day a marina north of West Bank had similar surface temps but the thermocline was at 30ft.

Back
Top Bottom