G260 vs. A700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flycaster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone had experience with both of these second stages to give an opinion?

I have and dive both. The G260 is a bulletproof design which updated the only flaw in the venerable G250 - the need for separate adjustments for both lever height and spring tension. It is now unsurpassed and has a design which will survive for another 30 years.

The A700 has slightly better WOB numbers, not that you could tell. I don't dive mine much anymore because for me, it is just a little mouthy-heavy. On the other hand, the G260 is no lightweight, either. Both are superb. The A700 is a lot of metal, which is either good or bad, depending upon your prejudices. It has a permanently attached hose end which (if you're a DIY'er) sometimes looks like it wants to get removed, which can be fatal for the case. Don't lose the tiny torx screws for the face!

So, A700= more bling, better WOB numbers (that you can't feel at recreational depths), but feels less neutral in the water.
G260= venerable design, perfect performer, but larger case (problematic for scootering)

Since you're comparing, lets go to the last option: S620Ti. If you're opposed to plastic, then you'll not even look (though Scubapro's polymers are IMO, the best around). But it has WOB equal to the A700, is extremely lightweight, and has a metal barrel for cold water conductivity. Smaller case size and yet great ease of breathing. But some folks just hate plastic.

My 2c? S620 or G260 both better under most conditions than A700. But try 'em yourself.

I have both. Use the G260 for tropical rec dives with a MK25.

Use the A700 with a MK17 for below 50F.

They are both indestructible easy breathers.

I have many dives on both the G260 & A700. Both are excellent, but I prefer the A700.

I find both the G260 and A700 heavy, they are about a third again as heavy as my S600, about half again as heavy as the newer S620Ti. I appreciate the lighter weight, for others, it is unimportant. Best thing to do would be to give them a trial dive to see for yourself.

I find both the G260 and A700 heavy, they are about a third again as heavy as my S600, about half again as heavy as the newer S620Ti. I appreciate the lighter weight, for others, it is unimportant. Best thing to do would be to give them a trial dive to see for yourself.

What's it gonna cost to get a S620ti maintenance done if they need to replace any titanium parts though. It's possible to do it yourself?

Back
Top Bottom