G250 - upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm just curious - I finally got to dive my regs today (G250, R390) and am pretty happy with the G250. If I could change 2 things, it would be 1) easier to exhale, and 2) quieter bubbles on exhale.

Do they (not necessarily SP) make regs that make smaller bubbles? I feel like you can't do much for redirecting the exhaust stream - it's either gotta be by your eyes or ears, right?

I'm not in a hurry to change my regs, but one day (dreaming) I'd like to use the G250 as the alternate, and have something a little fancier for my primary. I have plenty of other things to focus on, although it's hard not to focus on your reg under water! :)

Possibly the exhaust valve has hardened or otherwise lost some flexibility, maybe replacing it with a new one might help on the exhale effort ?

Ha! Thank for reminding me - I bought it used (it hadn't been used for 2 years or something) and the tech didn't really change out any parts, just cleaned/lubed/adjusted/tested. I'll wait until I give it a proper overhaul before I make any more judgments!

It could be just partially stuck. Try tickling it with a Q-tip. If no joy, it's very easy to replace-no rebuild necessary.

1) Remove the exhaust cover, some are held in place with 2 hex screws-others are held in with a pin.

2) Remove the front cover, friction ring, and diaphragm. Pull out the old exhaust valve.

Just to clarify the above,

Step 1 includes pulling out old exhaust valve. The face plate etc don't need to be removed for this step but do for step 2.,

Step 2 is when you pull the new exhaust valve tab through the center hole in the case.

When you re fit exhaust T screws put a dab of grease on the threads, don't over tighten.

I noticed that my reg is tough to breathe (inhale) when looking up. It's easiest to inhale looking down, easiest to exhale looking up (the latter makes sense). Is this normal? I read reviews about Scubapro particularly having good performance when looking down, but haven't heard about performance degradation when looking up.

I noticed it during today's dive. Yesterday I thought I was running out of air at one point, but then everything seemed fine. Now that I think about it, I was looking up when I noticed the difference in breathing yesterday.

This diagram explains why all regulators breathe differently as you change positions. From "Let's Go Diving", an Illustrated Diving Manual by Bill Barada, Copyright 1962, 4th Printing November 1965, page 29.

single_vs_double_hose.jpg

Last edited:
Don't think about it or pay it too much attention, it's normal.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom