G-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there any real benefits of the g15 over the g12? I've been pricing up a new g15 system but have noticed a couple of g12 systems second hand for sale.

Are there any real benefits of the g15 over the g12? I've been pricing up a new g15 system but have noticed a couple of g12 systems second hand for sale.

it has the same size sensor as the S100/110 and faster AF...not sure if wifi is important to you but it has that as well.

The G15 OEM will take the new Inon USL100 ZM80 lens for close focus wide angle work while the G12 never did although you will need two strobes as the lens needs the camera to shoot at F8 all the time
Inon also makes the adapter to put other M67 lenses but to be honest the G series don't need diopters unless you are shooting pygmy seahorses or super macro

I've shot a G11 since the day the housings first shipped, and I've been very happy with it. I originally chose the G series over the S series because I primarily shoot close in, and the closer minimum focus distance on the G cams were a selling point. I believe the current models are the same, with the G's able to focus under an inch (.39), and the S at 1.18, and yes, I regularly need to focus at closer than .39 inches :D

I think the S series cams are better, overall, for underwater photography, but mainly for the extra wide-angle options, smaller size, and cheaper housings. I'll probably update with the S100 or S110. The 110 is supposed to have better glass, which is tilting me in that direction, but the G15 has a faster lens, and closer focus, which makes it a very hard choice.

As for Sony vs. Canon, the G15 has better maximum aperture throughout it's zoom range. You can focus both G and S cams MUCH closer than you can with the Sony (1.97") which to me would be important, but most folks probably wouldn't notice. Last I checked, you have more housing and accessory options with Canons, but that may have changed. The Sony has a larger sensor. If the Sony had better glass I might lean in that direction, but I'd have to see photos before making such a decision, as I generally prefer Canons. I've been impressed by the NEX series, but it's just too expensive for something I'm going to replace in 2-3 years. I'd rather spend the money I save on more strobe and glass :wink:

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2013 at 10:45 PM ----------

Actually your post makes me realise that the idea of getting a G15 and a TTL wired strobe from scratch just to shoot macro is meaningless
1. You end up shooting in manual anyway so why bother with TTL

sTTL works fine for lazy folks like me, and you can always upgrade later if you like.

2. If all you do is macro and you are a beginner and not particularly creative with macro shots why even bother having a strobe the internal flash works at close range

Respectfully disagree. Internal flashes do not work underwater, at any range, and it's literally worse than having no flash at all.

So G15+Wired TTL strobe just to shoot macro = pointless unless you are recycling equipment you have already or you have the top range recsea with fisheye fixed port

Also disagree. TTL may be pointless, but the G15 would make a fine macro camera for underwater. Excluding mirrorless, I say you'd be hard-pressed to find a significantly better compact camera for shooting macro.

My housing came the other day and have been playing with my g15 in it. Compared to my old g10, it focuses faster and is more compact. Have always loved the camera's macro ability (even though I shoot with +10 and +5 for supermacro) and the magnifier focus function (good for old eyes). :)

Unfortunately, the subsee adapter I used with the g10 housing is just a tad to big so I need to find some machine shop to try and see if they can shave a little off of it. If not, then I may just buy the swing away adapter from divervision for the time being.... unless, of course, the nauticam housing comes out before my next trip!

Loved my oly xz-1 and liked their housing even better than the canon but it's time to sell it off as I don't have need for 2 systems.

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2013 at 08:41 AM ----------

Just got an email that Isotta will be making a housing for the G15 due out in around 3-4 weeks. http://www.isotecnic.it/cms/?lang=en

picking one up to check out...gonna grab the CFWA Inon lens as well.

Got my Ikelite housing and my G15 over the break. I put the camera in the housing attached it with the flash (DS-125) and was able to get flash sync working at any shutter speed I tried, and get a complete picture. So this idea that wired flashes can't sync over 1/250th of a second is not holding up to actual trials. It will be a few weeks before I get a chance to dive this rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom