G-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-photography-special-features/article/choosing-right-strobe-connection/

Interesting

Extremely, this is not a very well written article (they list some of the cons as pros as well, although they're definitely cons, so apparently not proofread)

also the conclusion is interesting:

So which strobe connectivity is right for you?

Which type of connectivity you use is only a question you can answer. If you want to eliminate extra points of potential leaks, the hassle of extra o-rings and the cost of hard-wired cords, consider fiber optics. If your shooting requires that you fire off multiple frames at a time and can’t wait for the camera’s internal strobe to recycle, stick with hard-wired sync cords.

which basically is my point, there are advantages to using wired strobes.

The canon g is not a professional camera is a prosumer camera and is not the recommended choice of most underwater photography stores for a number reasons and if you have to advice a buyer all in all you would tell then to get something else as the camera has many restrictions and costs a lot of money to try and make it do things. A wired ttl strobe is not in the budget of most people and the fact you can shoot multiple times with a single strobe shot main advantage of a wired ttl is irrelevant as the camera is not a reflex so can't keep up
For your info I don't even use the rx100 for stills but backscatter, reefphoto,cameras underwater, bluewater store and others rate his camera the best compact for underwater photos in 2012are they all wrong and missed something?

The Canon G is not a professional camera, nor is the Sony Rx100, so we're not talking about pro cameras, YOU said top photographers used fiber optic, I'm not sure how you quantify that, I took it to mean pros, they're the one's who's photos I see the most. I certainly also see some amazing shots done from point and shoots and no strobes, we all know the camera is a tool not the result.

Again I'm not sure why you care to keep debating me. You gave an opinion, and I didn't debate you, I didn't say you were wrong, I said for my money I'd go with the Canon, and gave some reasons why I preferred it. I think people can look at the reasons and make a decision. You decided you were right and then made up a bunch of statements to try and support it.

Again the g15 hasn't been out long enough for backscatter/reef etc to evaluate it, they're also stores, maybe there are other reasons they like Sony. If I wanted the best underwater shot I could get, I'd be shooting a DSLR in a housing with wired strobes, I think that would give me the most control. I don't want to spend that money. For less than the cost of an SLR housing I can get a G15, and a housing, and cables. The strobe is a wash as I'd need it for either set up correct? Any if I flood out the housing I'm out the cost of a G15, not the cost of 7D and a lens! So for my money and my reasons which again I stated I'd pick that.

It's what makes the world great we each have our opinions, so don't go saying mine are wrong, I haven't told you yours are.

I've been following this thread with interest because I am starting to look around for a new camera kit. I also shoot macro most of the time. It looks to me like the G15 has a hot shoe, and Ikelite makes a housing for it that has a TTL port. I currently shoot with an old Olympus C5050 compact camera that has a hot shoe. I use an Ikelite housing and I can program it so the internal strobe doesn't fire, while I use my DS161 substrobe underwater. I am rather attached to this set up, but I am finding the need for more megapixels and a faster response on the shutter. I appreciate the link that Interceptor1221 provided--very informative. The G15 is attractive because it can focus to within 1cm, which is great for a macro shooter. Ikelite is attractive because I can reuse much of my equipment such as TTL cords, wet lenses adapters, strobes, etc. That makes for a huge savings on my budget. So does anyone know if I can turn the internal flash off, or do I have to resort to electric tape if I get this camera????? Plus, any other pros and cons of different compact set ups are much appreciated. I have an open mind on the matter and maybe you can talk me into something better for the price? The camera is now $415 on Amazon and the Ikelite housing is supposed to retail for $650, so that would be $1065 to upgrade my gear.

You need a housing with a cold shoe the ikelite has it so once you plug in the sync cord which is totally compatible with your strobe you are ready to go
The internal flash will not fire

Going back to the discussion about quenching the flash electric circuits typically react in ms so if you are very close to a subject electrical ttl might not work as the picture will come overexposed this is another advantage of optical ttl as usually this does not happen because if the different exposure calculation logic

Am not sure if the guy that is getting so animated about the g15 and ttl has actually got one because of you do and connect the sync cord to the shoe you get your max shutter speed pretty quickly without having to go into electronics theory for what I remember it reads 1/250 unless you folk it

For the record I have an s95, older canon an rx100 and I have had g series set up with sync cords in my hands

Thanks for the reassurance on the internal strobe being turned off. I can work with the overexposure--I can always place my strobe further away or go to manual mode (defeating the purpose of TTL). I'm basing much of my desire for a G15 on previous underwater reviews of the G12. I've seen some really great shots out of that series. I can't find the info now, but there was one professional photographer that shot exclusively with a G9 with no strobes. He one a major competition doing that based on a collection of photos, not just one lucky shot. I would love to do those beautiful, creative shots, but I live in an area with green water, and most of my work is aimed at research and marine life identification.

The G15 will be fine for close range work and as you say the closer shots can be done manual
I guess in murky water you can't do wide angle anyway
However if I were you I would get and end if line G12 you are likely to find good offers and the features lacking from the g15 aren't relevant for close up at all

Actually your post makes me realise that the idea of getting a G15 and a TTL wired strobe from scratch just to shoot macro is meaningless
1. You end up shooting in manual anyway so why bother with TTL
2. If all you do is macro and you are a beginner and not particularly creative with macro shots why even bother having a strobe the internal flash works at close range
3. TTL is most useful in wide angle which this combination can't really shoot unless you spend $$$$$

I have seen Gilligan taking amazing shots with his G12 and a sea and sea manual optical strobe with a canon housing. You can set the internal flash to manual at minimum and it will do anyway 4 dives for macro

So G15+Wired TTL strobe just to shoot macro = pointless unless you are recycling equipment you have already or you have the top range recsea with fisheye fixed port

Last edited:
Comments on TTL circuitry to Ikelite DS Digital Substrobes........

In 2003 I shot the FIRST TTL Canon Digital Rebel system in the Galapagos and many Canon models with all manner of DS125, 160 DS50 /51 since then....Those who "diss" hard wired TTL don't know WTF they're talking about.

(We shot TTL flash with FILM cameras using SLIDE film having what, 1 -1.5 stops of exposure latitude? And we got great TTL flash exposures I had published in magazines etc.)

A hot shoe "talking" to the flash through circuitry EXACTLY as a dedicated TTL surface flash operates the same up to about 5' away. 90% of shooters photograph so far away it wouldn't matter what flash they're using.....

Search my name and look at EVERY SHOT taken with TTL flash on a myriad of systems.......S-TTL with a optical cord is getting better, but camera to strobe corded communication is certainly not "dead".

I've had people on my trips who's Fiber Optic connector falls out, flash won't fire when their strobe can't "see" the camera's inside flash firing (sucking battery power too) and more...........

Do you shoot your flash on the surface in Manual mode? I'll bet not.......... Through 1' - 4' of water with good technique TTL simply works.......Anything promoted saying it doesn't is a blatant lie by people who've never even shot a corded in housing circuitry TTL underwater system.

I think BOTH systems can be used effectively and Gilligan is a great example of shooting close, minimizing settings and knowing his camera and strobe. Shooting manually he controls his distance, f-stop and strobe power for critters that will hold still, etc..

Most people don't get to dive anywhere near the amount he has and TTL (and S-TTL) helps those folks tremendously.

So stop this BS about "shooting Manual only"..........

What a crock of horse puckey along with all the techno "measurbating" specs endless posts versus just helping people learn how to cut to the chase and take a photo......

You're entitled to YOUR opinion too :)

What fun!!!!!!!

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

(We shot TTL flash with FILM cameras using SLIDE film having what, 1 -1.5 stops of exposure latitude? And we got great TTL flash exposures I had published in magazines etc.)

A hot shoe "talking" to the flash through circuitry EXACTLY as a dedicated TTL surface flash operates the same up to about 5' away. 90% of shooters photograph so far away it wouldn't matter what flash they're using.....

Search my name and look at EVERY SHOT taken with TTL flash on a myriad of systems.......S-TTL with a optical cord is getting better, but camera to strobe corded communication is certainly not "dead".

I've had people on my trips who's Fiber Optic connector falls out, flash won't fire when their strobe can't "see" the camera's inside flash firing (sucking battery power too) and more...........

Do you shoot your flash on the surface in Manual mode? I'll bet not.......... Through 1' - 4' of water with good technique TTL simply works.......Anything promoted saying it doesn't is a blatant lie by people who've never even shot a corded in housing circuitry TTL underwater system.

I think BOTH systems can be used effectively and Gilligan is a great example of shooting close, minimizing settings and knowing his camera and strobe. Shooting manually he controls his distance, f-stop and strobe power for critters that will hold still, etc..

Most people don't get to dive anywhere near the amount he has and TTL (and S-TTL) helps those folks tremendously.

So stop this BS about "shooting Manual only"..........

What a crock of horse puckey along with all the techno "measurbating" specs endless posts versus just helping people learn how to cut to the chase and take a photo......

You're entitled to YOUR opinion too :)

What fun!!!!!!!

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

I knew you couldn't resist responding again! :D:D:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

David where did you read I said wired TTL is dead? The discussion was in the context of the canon G series
Also you are an ikelite dealer and ikelite doesn't have optical TTL technology so obviously you have to make a point but as I said his was not a general remark it was a specific one for the G

What am saying is that the canon G series are not value for money as an underwater camera, the few advantages such the TTL cold shoe are negated by the poor choice of wide angle lenses and housing. At 1' with any kind of strobe this camera will just take a picture of a piece of reef and won't be able to do any CFWA
If you have to spend over $2,000 to get a non removable fisheye lens there are better way to spend the same money with a compact camera or you can spend less and be able to take more shots
If all you want to do is macro you can take a G series, a canon housing, and a non hard wired strobe and it will work just fine and save you over a $1,000

This camera is dropping in price just few months after launch that tells you something, the stock is unsold

Last edited:
BigEye Lens G Series fits over the WP-DC48. I have Fantasea BigEye Lens G Series for my Canon SX230HS/WP-DC42. You will only be able to recover the angle you would normally get on land.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom