G-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fisheye lens adapter of the recsea and fix housing for the G11/G12 was fixed the port required assembly and the lens is not wet as such
The fix housing is priced around $1,100 and the lens at $550 total of $1650 for housing and port and you can't change lenses in water
The S100 + fisheye from fix costs now $1,000 and the lens is actually wet not a fixed port
At $1350 you can buy a Nauticam + Fisheye for the Sony RX100 the difference in price lets you buy the better camera

At $1350 you can buy a Nauticam + Fisheye for the Sony RX100 the difference in price lets you buy the better camera

Depends on your needs and definition of better.... while the rx100 is amazing, the fact that it has poor macro without adding a diopter makes the g15 far superior for me. :)

Hopefully, the nauticam housing will be available this spring and come in a little cheaper than the recsea. One thing I will say for recsea though, is that their customer rep that I've been corresponding with has been amazing!

Would love for Isotta to make a housing for it but can't seem to get a response from them.

Uhm
Sony+Nauticam+Diopter+Fisheye=650+950+180+399=2179
Canon+Recsea+Fisheye=409+1050+549=2018 and you can't remove the wide angle lens
I know what I would get

Uhm
I know what I would get

I know what I would get too, and it would be the G15. The Sony camera doesn't support a wired TTL flash, in my experience using fibre optic has a number of disadvantages, from back scatter, and internal reflections to the battery draw on the camera in the housing, why should I run the flash on the camera all day when I don't need to. I'd rather use that battery to take more pictures.

My experience has been I get better results with dual wired slaves, which is why I want a camera with a hotshoe that supports wired flashes, and a housing that uses that feature.

Difference of opinions are well, different.

Uhm
I know what I would get

Everyone has their own opinion as to what type of camera best meets their needs.

I prefer canon to sony, don't need or want a fisheye, don't care about WA, have a +5 and +10 subsee already and like I said earlier... the sony has no macro capabilities without adding a wet lens.... no brainer... g15 wins hands down for me!!

Glad you like the rx100 so just let everyone decide for themselves what makes sense to them to buy and use.

This is a canon forum after all, not a sony forum. :rofl3:

PS... where did you find the g15 for $409?

Wired TTL is a thing of the past
Why would you limit yourself to 1/125 or 1/160 shutter speeds when you can sync at 1/1000??
I would love to learn the physics behind the fact that a different strobe connection influences back scatter totally fascinating
The g15 is at 409 in amazon it is a half flop commercially for canon the whole new S and G are dated and not in fashion
I don't work for Sony or for canon and I have had plenty of canon cameras
When I had to make my update I actually got the S95 as I prefer CCD to CMOS sensors
The G series takes good macro but is nowhere near the quality of the RX100 and the flexibility if the S series and once you take everything into account not financially attractive
Obviously there are people out there that would still buy it and that's fine but there are pro and cons and there is no need to come out with strange ideas to justify a choice
If you like the camera and are happy with it happy days but you can't invent non existing issues of features to make it become better or more flexible of other cameras that beat it

Wired TTL is a thing of the past
Why would you limit yourself to 1/125 or 1/160 shutter speeds when you can sync at 1/1000??
I would love to learn the physics behind the fact that a different strobe connection influences back scatter totally fascinating

Sync has nothing to do with connection, but has to do with the speed at which the shutter is opened and close. the 1/125 speed we used to have (my last canon film body did at least 1/250) has to do with how fast the shutter can be completely open. If you're old enough to have shot film you may remember what happened when you didn't use Sync, you get a thin sliver of the film exposed, as the focal plane shutter travels across the film plane (for a pretty decent description see: http://neilvn.com/tangents/maximum-flash-sync-speed/ ). The flash itself always fired quickly (1/1000sec or even faster) so sync speed has nothing to do with wiring. Unless of course you're implying that electrons are traveling at a much slower speed in the wire (I'd love to know the physics on that, they'd be fascinating) (this is fact)

Sorry I said backscatter I meant internal reflections in the housing, if you've not seen these you've been lucky, but I've had all sorts of issues. If you don't properly isolate the internal flash from the outside world (electrical tape if you have a housing that allows use of both) then you will get backscatter because the flash is so close to the lens (fact)

Wired TTL is a thing of the past, yet I gave you a perfectly good FACT for using it. When you are firing the internal flash on the camera for every shot (I use my strobes on nearly every shot underwater) it will drain the battery in the camera faster. With 16GB car in my G9 I could do three or four dives in a day without ever opening the housing. IF I were firing the flash it would be less as I'd drain that smaller batter quicker. this is a fact, you can't argue that using the internal flash drains the battery faster.

The g15 is at 409 in amazon it is a half flop commercially for canon the whole new S and G are dated and not in fashion
I don't work for Sony or for canon and I have had plenty of canon cameras
When I had to make my update I actually got the S95 as I prefer CCD to CMOS sensors

I'm note sure what you define as a flop, but looking at Amazon since that's what you bought up, it has 4.5 stars out of 5, it's been for sale for what a few months, the camera was announced Sept 17, which is only 4 months ago, and didn't go on sale instantly. I'm guessing you work for Amazon and have exact sales numbers to tell us it's a flop, otherwise opinion.

As for the S being better, I thought they used the same sensor in the S95 as the G series, so I'm not sure how it could be any worse.

CMOS cs CCD I'm not up on the latest. I can recall doing a lot of testing on CMOS vs CCD a while back (EOS 20 time frame) and the CMOS sensor had a lot less noise on it, that was a long time ago so I wouldn't rely on that fact being a valid one anymore. Since you've stated you prefer, I'll call that Opinion

The G series takes good macro but is nowhere near the quality of the RX100 and the flexibility if the S series and once you take everything into account not financially attractive
Obviously there are people out there that would still buy it and that's fine but there are pro and cons and there is no need to come out with strange ideas to justify a choice

I'm not an expert on cameras, but I do think the folks at DPREVIEW do a pretty decent job, the G15 get's a 76% on their review and a GOLD award, the Sony RX100 get's a 78% but only a Silver, despite the higher score. Going into the comparison section sand looking at their samples thye're pretty close. I'll give you that the sony has a nicer more film like grain pattern to it's noise at 800 (my opinion) but on the image pretty close. Resolution tests look like a wash to my eyes

If you like the camera and are happy with it happy days but you can't invent non existing issues of features to make it become better or more flexible of other cameras that beat it

As shown above, I didn't invent anything, but you sure gave a lot of opinions....

Last edited:
First I have not said the camera is bad on land which is how dpreview makes their review, what I am saying is that there are other ways to spend money that give you more flexibility, performance and cost same or less

Backscatter from leaking internal flash is an issue only on polycarbonate housing when the strobe has not been masked properly, aluminum housing don't have that issue
With a wired TTL connection the electrical cable can't quench fast enough hence you have limit on flash speeds if not 1/125 it is 1/250 but that is it
The battery thing is true however sync cords do flood and there must be a reason why even top photographer use fiber optic and it is because they can be repaired easily on a trip so that is where the future is

At the end as long as your camera does 2 dives with one battery which is a typical double tank trip situation it is not really the end of the world to have to open the housing and change it

Commercially Canon is loosing out the lead position in the compact advanced camera that had acquired with the G and S series when it comes to super compact, they are loosing sales nothing to do with reviews is just that there is more better competition

Anyway you have the camera I guess so have fun with it. But let's not go around telling people that the selling point of a compact camera is a TTL port and not changing the battery for 4 dives especially as TTL nikonos strobe cost around $700+ and make more sense for a DSLR users with two strobes

First I have not said the camera is bad on land which is how dpreview makes their review, what I am saying is that there are other ways to spend money that give you more flexibility, performance and cost same or less

Backscatter from leaking internal flash is an issue only on polycarbonate housing when the strobe has not been masked properly, aluminum housing don't have that issue

Not sure how to evaluate cameras then, without someone going and using them all underwater as DP Review does on land I'll use their tests as a proxy

With a wired TTL connection the electrical cable can't quench fast enough hence you have limit on flash speeds if not 1/125 it is 1/250 but that is it

Data? Why can't an electrical cable quench fast as fiber optic? My understanding of physics is that a signal propagates through a wire at the speed of light or thereabouts, so nothing can happen faster at a fiber optic cable then it can at the electrical level. In fact the way a fiber optic sensor works is to translate to electrical recognize the pre-flash etc and then make it back into a flash, thus you will always have a delay. Since the flash on a TTL cable is started and stopped by the same mechanism there will theoretically be less of a delay than fiber optic.

The battery thing is true however sync cords do flood and there must be a reason why even top photographer use fiber optic and it is because they can be repaired easily on a trip so that is where the future is

Data? Just did a quick check on their web sites, Brian Skerry, David Doubliet, Annie Crawley, Art Wolfe all seem to be using wired strobes with their cameras. So I'm going to say you've got none

At the end as long as your camera does 2 dives with one battery which is a typical double tank trip situation it is not really the end of the world to have to open the housing and change it

I spent a nice week in Grand Cayman last summer diving and did a two tank in the morning, and then do shore dives in the afternoon all without cracking the case. I prefer to crack the housing in my hotel room on a dry surface, after a thorough soak and cleaning. I find this minimizes the possibility of getting anything in the seal that will cause a leak later, and let's me be thorough and check everything out. You may prefer not to do that, I'm just saying it's something consider.

Commercially Canon is loosing out the lead position in the compact advanced camera that had acquired with the G and S series when it comes to super compact, they are loosing sales nothing to do with reviews is just that there is more better competition

Data?

Anyway you have the camera I guess so have fun with it. But let's not go around telling people that the selling point of a compact camera is a TTL port and not changing the battery for 4 dives especially as TTL nikonos strobe cost around $700+ and make more sense for a DSLR users with two strobes

I did say THE selling point was, I said A selling point was, it's something you should consider, if it's important to you. I said it was important to me, you said my opinion was invalid, yet gave no facts to back it up, just more of your opinions. Have I said your opinion is invalid? No I said it was opinion. So let's not go around telling people that "Top pros" use fiber optic cables, without telling us who those pros are, let's not go around telling people that the G15 is a disappointment after being on the market 3 months, with no data. Let's also note that the underwater housings for this camera aren't even out yet apart from Canon's so we don't really know what it'll do underwater, thus the reason for the land camera proxy.

You haven't shot one, so your thoughts are it won't be as good as your Sony. You have that camera, go have fun with it.

http://www.divephotoguide.com/under...res/article/choosing-right-strobe-connection/

Interesting

Electrical signals have nothing to do with speed of light quench time is determined by the capacity of the circuit there is no such a thing as instantaneous response. Normally the limit is 1/125 or 1/250 unless the camera has the high sync speed which the G series hasn't there was a guy once that did some tricks and with specific units got the flash to sync at higher than that but this does not apply underwater so your max speed is 1/250. When instead you use the internal flash the speed is 1/2000 as there is not a nikonos TTL shoe with the inner limitations of it you can sync with an optical ttl system at higher speeds

Most of the new guys on the block mustard, tattersall shoot with fiber optic no problem, obviously older guys like the equipment they know and use for years

The canon g is not a professional camera is a prosumer camera and is not the recommended choice of most underwater photography stores for a number reasons and if you have to advice a buyer all in all you would tell then to get something else as the camera has many restrictions and costs a lot of money to try and make it do things. A wired ttl strobe is not in the budget of most people and the fact you can shoot multiple times with a single strobe shot main advantage of a wired ttl is irrelevant as the camera is not a reflex so can't keep up
For your info I don't even use the rx100 for stills but backscatter, reefphoto,cameras underwater, bluewater store and others rate his camera the best compact for underwater photos in 2012are they all wrong and missed something?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom