FYI - Grand Cayman Airport Terminal (GCM)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-hh

Contributor
Reaction score
Just back from the Brac (25th year) this past weekend and trying to get used to wearing shoes...

Wanted to give folks a quick "heads-up" warning about changes at GCM. Simple bottom line is that the terminal is now beyond capacity to support the weekend "noon" flights back to the USA, so plan extra time...ie, "3 hours prior".

Case in point: we had the United GCM-EWR early afternoon flight ... departure time 13:15 or so; board time at 12:40pm.

In years past, we've had the early AM CAL-102 flight from CYB, then chilled upstairs at the Hungry Horse restaurant, then meandered down at 10:30 when UA desk opens to check luggage, then meander down again a few minutes before noon to get in line to go through Security & Immigration ... the latter would typically take 15-20 minutes, giving us ~15 minutes in the departure lounge (crowded) to kill.

This year, we noticed that at around 11AM, the line to go through Security (Immigration follows) was looong: it stretched nearly the entire length of the GCM terminal...!

11:15 - no change in line length (not just a random bubble), so we paid our tab and got in line at 11:30AM.

That's basically getting in line nearly 2 hours before the flight's scheduled departure, and 1:15 prior to scheduled boarding.

Roughly 45 minutes later...we were finally through Security, and now waiting in line for Immigration. GCM still only has two X-Ray belts (and it was IMO clear to me that they were just slamming carry-on bags through about as fast as they can).

at 12:35 ... 65 minutes after we got in line, we finally were clear into the waiting lounge...we had only ~7 minutes to spare before our flight was called to board, which meant Duty-Free Rum purchase + 2 minutes. Way, way too close for my comfort.

The GCM terminal is supposedly under rennovation/improvements, but they didn't have any reduction in capacity at Security/Immigration: both were running at what's been their full capacity for the past several years.

In talking with an airport security guard, it is 'crazy crowded' like this now every weekend; I suspect that this crunch is probably due to there now being a few new Saturday flights such as JetBlue (GCM-JFK) which also fall into the mid-day weekend "rush".

Lesson learned for me is that the next time that we have a weekend ~noon flight, we're going to watch the lines like a hawk and get in line even earlier than we did this past time -- at least 1.5 hours prior to scheduled boarding (not departure) time. If you don't want to miss your flight home, I suggest doing the same.

-hh

Hopefully they have it all worked out by the time we fly in late August. Then again, that is low season and our flight back to Houston doesn't leave until almost 5pm. It really would be nice if you could get to the Hungry Horse from inside the terminal. At least they made the seats more comfortable when they renovated after Ivan.

A 5pm departure should be after the "rush hour" crush. We had a 3pm puddle jump to the Brac on the way down, and while there was a line, it wasn't a long one.

-hh

Thanks for that information. I am using the GCM airport in January 2014 not only to arrive and return to Miami but also Little Cayman in between. I have already allowed sufficient time between flights but will be pro-active and get in line asap on the days.

Thanks -hh for the info as we leave next Saturday for GCM. Our flight home on the 18th is at 13:40pm so I assume we will be in the middle of this "rush hour". I guess that means leaving Cobalt Coast about 10:30am; or right after breakfast. Bummer but good to know.

Betty

We're leaving on Friday at 4:30--is that considered weekend traffic time?

There is a huge mid-day rush of flights departing from about 11am to 2pm making for potentially long lines for check in, security, and immigration starting an hour or two earlier. 4:30pm seems well after the peak rush.

Don't get me started about the idiots at the GCM airport! OK, we'll I'm already started since I read this thread.

We passed through GCM last Saturday and it was disgusting. They have so many idiots walking around the airport it makes you sick. There must have been 20 "government" officials at the x-ray scanner, but only 2 or 3 were actually doing anything. This is what happens when the government feels compelled to employ all the people that can't otherwise find a job. Does this sound familiar?

We arrived about 2 hours before our flight and United took 45 minutes to check us in. Then 20 minutes to get through x-ray and next thing you know time is gone. One of our group got further harassed at the "interview" room where they try to intimidate you into believing you have done something wrong.

This is not what you would expect from a tiny island that relies on America for 90% of its revenue.

We passed through GCM last Saturday and it was disgusting. They have so many idiots walking around the airport it makes you sick. There must have been 20 "government" officials at the x-ray scanner, but only 2 or 3 were actually doing anything. This is what happens when the government feels compelled to employ all the people that can't otherwise find a job. Does this sound familiar?...

The personnel working the x-ray scanners at GCM are not government employees. A private security firm is contracted to provide those services. The contract is held by a company, FADS, that is a part of the Flowers Group.
FADS are responsible for the security, ground handling and dispatching of all flights daily including all the major airlines except for American. This entails taking the luggage on and off the aircrafts and Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) also contract them, for security screening of all departing passengers.

Don't get me started about the idiots at the GCM airport! OK, we'll I'm already started since I read this thread.

We passed through GCM last Saturday and it was disgusting. They have so many idiots walking around the airport it makes you sick. There must have been 20 "government" officials at the x-ray scanner, but only 2 or 3 were actually doing anything. This is what happens when the government feels compelled to employ all the people that can't otherwise find a job. Does this sound familiar?

We arrived about 2 hours before our flight and United took 45 minutes to check us in. Then 20 minutes to get through x-ray and next thing you know time is gone. One of our group got further harassed at the "interview" room where they try to intimidate you into believing you have done something wrong.

This is not what you would expect from a tiny island that relies on America for 90% of its revenue.

Interesting. Could you please provide the source of information for this part of your quote? Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom