Fusion sport leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oggy666

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just got a fusion sport, i did one dive and it leaked in my neck. I am going to try it again today to make sure i didnt have any folds. Has anyone with the fusion had this problem?

If it is leaking in your neck it most likely is the neck seal. Like you said be sure the seal is laying flat with no folds. Also pull the seal down to the base of your neck, don't wear it up high (on or above your adams apple area) Keep in mind that when you turn your head a lot the muscles in your neck may create a space for water to enter. Try twisting your upper body more rather than turning your head to look around. If you still have a leak from the neck seal it may have been trimmed to fit you to loose. Good luck

Thanks for replying and the advice i will find out later today, might have been to high like you said, I have not had it trimmed, so that shouldn't be the problem. Other than that i LOVE the suit.

Also check your undergarments -- if you have something that extends up your neck, it can disturb the seal.

It's also important that the seal be the right size. It should feel almost uncomfortably tight around your neck. If it's loose enough that you can easily pull it away from you, it may simply be too big.

I had an issue initially as well with the neck seal - i don't like the tapered neck seal that is standard on the fusion - I had it replaced with a bottle-type seal (standard seal) that was sized for my neck - far more contact area and no leaks since (100 dives later :) )

Thats a good start, hope it stays dry for you on your next dive. And yes I have to agree the suits are fantastic. When I used my new bullet suit for the first time I couldn't believe how nice they felt.

I too got wet for about a year trying to figure out what I was doing wrong with the neck seal. When I got the suit I trimmed the neck seal to the proper ring according to Whites guide. I was getting wet down the front from the beginning, sometimes quite bad, others not as bad. Whites suggested I was moving my head too much which was not the case. After a couple days of diving and going to the laundry on surface intervals to get my undergarments dry in the dryer while in Bonne Terre I'd had enough. I contacted Mike at Dive Right in Scuba and had the Si Tech "zip" neck seal system put in with a properly sized (i.e. did NOT need trimming) bottle type seal. I'm totally dry now!!

It was through many conversations with Mike that I decided to go this way and I'm VERY happy I did. It's awesome being DRY in a drysuit. Like you, other than that issue I LOVE the suit!

I doubt there is a problem with the suit or a need to get a different seal although you might have a size / fit problem. I now have 12 dives on my Fusion Sport and had only two leaks. One was from the neck and I don’t know why although I might have had a fold in the seal or garment sticking out (it was a big leak). The other was a wrist seal leak and that one was totally user error.

Even though I had one neck seal leak for an unknown reason the suit has been perfectly dry otherwise through quite a few twists, head turns and other underwater acrobatics that usually elicit a leak. When the suit was new the neck seal was very tight, to the point I was concerned it might restrict blood flow. However it quickly stretched just enough to fit well (without trimming).

So give it a few dives to figure out if there really is a problem. Try not to look up, or turn your head without turning your torso also. If there is still a leak and if you bought it from a dealer then let them earn their commission by finding your problem. If you got it mail order then you can do a leak test with air yourself. Figuring out if your body size and shape is right for the suit will be more of a challenge. Note that if I went with the size charts White’s publishes, I am pretty sure the suit would have been too small for me (and leaked). My dealer proved to me that I needed the next larger size. While it inner suit seems too big at first it actually works well.

Back
Top Bottom