Fusion seals too big

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrlEEEgrl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I just bought the Fusion suit at DEMA, and tried it out this past weekend. To my dismay, the seals are too big for me out of package. I finally pulled the wrists down far enough to keep them from leaking, but no matter where I place the neck seal it just leaks like crazy and burps itself when I move. My last try with it I completely flooded the suit, ending my day completely. I am so disappointed. When I consulted the info that came with the suit, it suggests slitting the seals, folding them over, and glueing them to make it smaller? Is this serious? This can't be the solution, right? I am a little worried about this, becasue we just picked up this line, and I will have a hard time convincing small women like myself that this is the right suit for them.

Can someone please give me some advice as to how to move forward with this? Can I just get new, smaller seals? What is the logic for making them so big to start with?

Hey GirlEEEgrl,
All FUSION suits off the shelf currently have a one size fits all conical seal “trim to fit” however for petite people with learn wrist and neck may find the seals still a tad too big. The first step to addressing this issue would be for me to get your wrist and neck measurement in inches along with what Justin asked for the suit size, the number on the inside of the suit, suit seals neck and wrist. Once we have this information we will be able to address and rectify the problem.
To clarify the directions in your manual this technique of slitting the seals, folding them over and gluing was used for neoprene seals only and not with the new polyurethane U.V. resistant latex.

Can someone please give me some advice as to how to move forward with this? Can I just get new, smaller seals? What is the logic for making them so big to start with?

Heck, I'm a guy and I have this same problem with my (non-Fusion) suit. The good news is that they do make smaller seals (and regular-sized seals with less material cut off from the "default" size) that you can replace on the suit. Sounds like Whites is going to take care of you here, but when the seals wear out and it's time to replace them, you should specify a smaller size as well.

Wow, you must be tiny! I'm 5'4", 120 lbs, and use size small seals on everything, and the SM/M Fusion fit me perfectly out of the box. I have to admit I wore the neck seal out quickly, but I have in every suit I've ever owned. I now have a neoprene neck seal on my Fusion, and I'm a happy camper.

Wow, you must be tiny! I'm 5'4", 120 lbs, and use size small seals on everything, and the SM/M Fusion fit me perfectly out of the box. I have to admit I wore the neck seal out quickly, but I have in every suit I've ever owned. I now have a neoprene neck seal on my Fusion, and I'm a happy camper.

I am 5'2" and about 105 lbs., but my neck and wrists are especially teenie. I have the 2XS/XS Fusion.

Were you able to easily replace the neck seal with a neoprene seal? That might be a great alternative for me (a warmer one too). How easy was it to do? I did take the class at DEMA on repair so I am familiar with replacing the regular seals.

Hey GirlEEEgrl,
All FUSION suits off the shelf currently have a one size fits all conical seal ÅÕrim to fit however for petite people with learn wrist and neck may find the seals still a tad too big. The first step to addressing this issue would be for me to get your wrist and neck measurement in inches along with what Justin asked for the suit size, the number on the inside of the suit, suit seals neck and wrist. Once we have this information we will be able to address and rectify the problem.

Suit #1827
size 2xs/xs

Here are my measurements (not pulling hard on measuring tape):

wrists - 5 1/2 inches
neck - 11 1/2 inches right in the middle.

thanks!
Tina

I didn't replace the seal. I'll do wrist seals, but neck seals just look like too much of an opportunity to screw up, so I sent the suit to Superior Diving Repair and had them do it.

Suit #1827
size 2xs/xs

Here are my measurements (not pulling hard on measuring tape):

wrists - 5 1/2 inches
neck - 11 1/2 inches right in the middle.

thanks!
Tina

Wow, another miniature human!:wink:

I had to change the neck seal on my Whites suit after trimming it too much. I am very handy guy and made all of the clamp rings myself but I do not consider this a job suitable for everyone. Have Whites replace it, the warranty will be preserved and you can have confidence in the new seals.

I have not been contacted since the last message stating my rep would get in touch with me. I PM'd my phone and email on last contact.

I have not been contacted since the last message stating my rep would get in touch with me. I PM'd my phone and email on last contact.

I think I saw Tyler on the board today. He may not be your rep, but if you email him you will get a reply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom