Funny Underwater Hand Signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During an early dive once my buddy saw two crabs sharing what appeared to be a passionate and fairly intimate embrace. Wanting to point out sweet dungeoness luvvin to me, he pointed to the crab, and then started thrusting his hips and pulling his arms back to his sides over and over, in a delightfully juvenile "Look, they're DOIN IT!!" hunka-chunka dance. Needless to say, SAC rates rapidly rose and all manner of buoyancy and trim went to s#@*. Where is your uw camera when you need it?

sam miller:
Walter, thank you for the kind comments!

So sad that you are probably the only one on this thread--board? who truely understands and appreciates the short and sadly the fleeting history of recreational diving...so many with badges with so little knowledge and experience.

Thanks again...now I must get to work!

sdm
Hey- I fall in to that more badges than experience category, although I do appreciate your posts. I don't always understand the significance of all the characters or events, but every once in a while, I recognize a name or fact that helps frame the perspective. I think it's great that you share your knowledge and experiences. Thanks.

rawls:
Nah...If it gets that bad I'll just stab my buddy:)
o man so wrong....yet sooo funny, ok i got one "left arm fully extended infront of you, fist clinched, right arm making spanking motion" translation, "i wanna ride that like a pony"

Recently on a dive in West Palm, the "trench", our divemaster gave us a new signal...she pointed her finger down and circled her hand around and then raised her hand with her index finger extended and drew it slowly across her throat. Yikes! Apparently we were all about to be killed by a murderous DM!

Actually she was trying to point out the portion of the reef that was dead... much less dramatic.

Mel

Sam often posts lots of really good info that seems to be ignored. Maybe if more of us would let him know we are reading and learning he wouldn't get those impressions.

Gracias Sam. I am reading and really appreciate the history and more analytical approach to the postings. That being said, I tend to read everyone's posts with (generally) equal enthusiasm. Much obliged to everyone - even SkullDeformity for pointing out my ceaseless grammatical and spelling errors! :)

Walter:
Sam often posts lots of really good info that seems to be ignored. Maybe if more of us would let him know we are reading and learning he wouldn't get those impressions.

The key word there is 'seems.' For every 'thank you' post there are a dozen others who thought it but didn't take the time to type it out. Lurkers are generally the largest segment of the audience. :)

I certainly appreciate all of the informative posts that you guys take the time to write, even if I rarely take the time to say thanks.

Hmmm... ASL (american sign language) for divers is a pretty cool little booklet...

A few have been mentioned here... one that I've used is the sign for "bored"... which incidentally is just miming picking your nose...

Then there's the BS sign that I use during surface interval stories... LOL... arms in front of you like Jeannie from I Dream of Jeannie... palms down... top hand makes horns... bottom hand simply opens and closes like you're flinging poo... LOL

SeaSigns is pretty good... http://www.seasigns.com/methods.php
Scuba Divers Sign Language is another... http://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Divers-Sign-Language-Manual/dp/0941332381
Underwater Communication book... http://www.potomactech.com/browse/books-media/books/books-sign-language/353.phtml

When in doubt... finger spell! :D

*** Mod Post ***

Let's keep it friendly!
Offensive posts and those refering to them have been edited or deleted.
If you should wish to discuss this or any mod action, please use PMs or start a thread in site support. This is not the place for it.
Thanks for your cooperation.

*** Mod Post ***

Now, with THAT out of the way...

Point to your left nipple with your right hand, in one sweeping motion make the thumbs up sign and direct it over your right shoulder towards your back side.

I leftit behind. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom