Funky sized/shaped ports - which regs to avoid for hog hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My first set of regs were zeagle DS5 ZX, i have since bought another DS5 1st stage to match for use with my doubles - but i am thinking of buying a new reg set to dedicate to single tank diving rather than swapping over my hoses everything i want to dive doubles or singles. So i went looking around a few LDS's in my area, i already know what some of them offer but i was surprised at some of the "top of the line" regs out there and the funky ports they have. I intend to rig this new reg set up with the same long hose and bungeed safe second as i have on my doubles (previous/current singles set up), but some of these regs dont allow you to put on long hoses without buying adapters or in some cases you cant use one of the LP ports as it has some funky spigot that you have to connect with only the right connections etc.

So i was looking around and found several with 1/2" ports and some with these funky connectors where you can only use the own brand hosing for (7ft etc not available) and i dont fancy losing a port as unusable either, so which regs should i truly avoid due to this kind of annoyance? I am thinking i might just get known "good" models of zeagle, apeks, aqualung or scubapro etc just to avoid this kind of issue rather than dabble in other more recreational oriented brands (Mares, Oceanic, Aeris, Atmos, Sherwood, Genesis and a few others) unless i hear some good suggestions of a plain ported, but great performance reg. I am only going to use these regs on recreational stuff, but i still like my rig set up in a hog manner - keep the doubles and regs for doubles for anything with an overhead. You'd think by now i might know something about regs, but after the last purchase i just filed away whatever knowledge i attained :wink:

Hey Simon,

First off, they make 7ft hoses with a 1/2' fitting. Just find someone who has them or can make it like Tech Diving Limited.

What other regs were you looking at that had proprietary fittings?

I had a half decent price on nearly new (essentially zero dives) mares abyss regs (2004 model), but the funky port detail put me off - and i was wondering if other manufacturers had some off-putting feature. I know you can get around these kinds of things, but i would prefer it to be plain just for simplicity's sake. I am still wondering on timing for all these things, all the extra gear, not sure how it might fit into my every increasing budget which seems to have no "restraints".

apeks
Aqualung
USD
Mares
Poseidon (older)
Those are some that I can think of....
But yeah you can buy hoses and a $5 adapter is a good alternative too...

Back
Top Bottom