Fundies location tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edoralive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey team -

Hoping to take a fundies class in the winter/spring of 2022. Based of what I've read in previous threads, GUE instructors are all top shelf and there's a much narrower spread of experience because the training itself is so standardized.

I'm wondering if there's advice on location of training. There are a few in the time frame I'm looking at that are compelling, all in the February range:
  • Kona, HI with Mer Tanguay
  • Vancouver BC with Jason Cook
  • High Springs, FL with Lauren Fanning
  • LA with Norbert Lee (in April)
Availability/acceptance not withstanding, any suggestions on which location/instructor might be good to check out? I'm based in Minnesota, so with the exception of Kona, they're all about the same distance.

Thanks!

Are you a Grape or Lemon Lime kinda’ Kool Aid Fan?

(Aw, never mind- just crackin’ wise) Good luck on it!

Is there anyone that teaches this level of precision utilising recreational Non GUE gear. I love my bc, is the Freedom plate permissible. Thanks.

One of the basic principles of GUE is the importance of standardization, which has implications for gear choices and diving practices. If you're not interested in what they have to offer, you can get exposure to many of the same skills in a good cavern or cave class. That's the environment that GUE came out of in the first place.

Is there anyone that teaches this level of precision utilising recreational Non GUE gear. I love my bc, is the Freedom plate permissible. Thanks.
The Freedom Plate is non DIR compliant.
However that’s only the plate, all the webbing, hose lengths and routing configuration, can light, ability to scooter, use with drysuit, and even clip off a small stage or pony bottle is all the same as any other plate. You just can’t use doubles and the FP doesn’t allow for taking the diving forward into the tech realm. GUE reverse engineered their diving from full technical diving down to the recreational level using the same gear (minus doubles) so theoretically it can be taken right back up to tech diving if recreational fundies was the entry point.
The FP doesn’t allow for that.
But you can work on their principals on your own if you want with your FP, nothing stopping you.

Hey team -

Hoping to take a fundies class in the winter/spring of 2022. Based of what I've read in previous threads, GUE instructors are all top shelf and there's a much narrower spread of experience because the training itself is so standardized.

I'm wondering if there's advice on location of training. There are a few in the time frame I'm looking at that are compelling, all in the February range:
  • Kona, HI with Mer Tanguay
  • Vancouver BC with Jason Cook
  • High Springs, FL with Lauren Fanning
  • LA with Norbert Lee (in April)
Availability/acceptance not withstanding, any suggestions on which location/instructor might be good to check out? I'm based in Minnesota, so with the exception of Kona, they're all about the same distance.

Thanks!
I recently took the course with Bob Sherwood in Alexandria Bay, NY and had a good experience. I would recommend him as an instructor and that area is good for diving but not in February. He does travel so it may be worth reaching out to see if he has anything planned for the winter. Besides Bob I’ve met a few other GUE instructors and they all seemed cool.

If your choices are only based on classes that are on the website I would reach out to other instructors in other areas that you might be interested in as they may be able to put something together or they may be planning a class that isn’t on the website yet.

Regarding locations, I would be nervous of traveling anywhere ocean based that could possibly get blown out and I would check to see if there is a contingency location available. The majority of fundies dives are going to be hovering around 30ft doing skills so you don’t really need to travel someplace awesome for that, also for some people fundies is very challenging and that could overshadow your “vacation”.

Many people will probably say something like…”take the course in an environment that is similar to where you normally dive…” and I definitely partially agree with that but I also think it’s important to realize that cold places with less visibility are going to be a lot more challenging then warmer clear water and you may miss some (all?) of the fundamental stuff just trying to get comfortable. Once you learn the basics you can practice it anywhere. Lastly I would consider logistics, what is the distance between the fills, “classroom”, dive site and lodging?

You may want to consider Tulum, Mexico. There are many GUE instructors working in that area.

There is risk of getting blown out even in Hawaii in February. I was in Maui in early February amd at the end storms came through that not only made waves but also killed the viz which helps tiger sharks hunt.

I'd choose Florida if I had to travel to take fundies.

For equipment BP/W is required but nothing stops one from going to non GUE standard gear. The skills trabsfer.

Mer does her fundies Tour in the summer months and ends up in the area. My wife and I Did the info zoom class with her last year. We hope to get on the schedule for 2022

"Train like you fight." Take the class in the conditions that most resemble your usual diving environment.
I thought about this - hard to say what my "normal diving environment" is so far. We live in the middle but the bulk of dives happen elsewhere. Hoping to spend more time in/around wrecks, but that could be anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom