Fundies location tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mer does her fundies Tour in the summer months and ends up in the area. My wife and I Did the info zoom class with her last year. We hope to get on the schedule for 2022

I think I saw a Chicagoland quarry class for her last summer. I guess I just feel like if I'm gonna travel I'm gonna travel. Maybe not!

There is risk of getting blown out even in Hawaii in February. I was in Maui in early February amd at the end storms came through that not only made waves but also killed the viz which helps tiger sharks hunt.

I'd choose Florida if I had to travel to take fundies.

For equipment BP/W is required but nothing stops one from going to non GUE standard gear. The skills trabsfer.

Really solid point. Would be a major shame to plan a trip to Kona (or any ocean spot) only to get blown out and unable to reschedule... maybe central FL is the ticket.

Hey team -

Hoping to take a fundies class in the winter/spring of 2022. Based of what I've read in previous threads, GUE instructors are all top shelf and there's a much narrower spread of experience because the training itself is so standardized.

I'm wondering if there's advice on location of training. There are a few in the time frame I'm looking at that are compelling, all in the February range:
  • Kona, HI with Mer Tanguay
  • Vancouver BC with Jason Cook
  • High Springs, FL with Lauren Fanning
  • LA with Norbert Lee (in April)
Availability/acceptance not withstanding, any suggestions on which location/instructor might be good to check out? I'm based in Minnesota, so with the exception of Kona, they're all about the same distance.

Thanks!
+1 for Lauren. She's great.

Hi and welcome! If you are looking for a dive community in the Midwest—we have a GUE specific one that meets up at least once a month in the local quarries and the Great Lakes. Feel free to reach out to us here or here on Facebook. While we don't have an instructor yet, (that is in the works) I'd also recommend Lauren in Florida considering that is where our culture came from and its cool to get the opportunity to tour headquarters, check out the local dive spots, and take in the amazing springs. Nevertheless, the MWUE folks would be happy to help you get prepared :)

I would also factor in the costs of travel and lodging. I'm guessing there's a big difference between Hawaii vs. Florida.

Just my North Florida opinion. There is only one destination on your list that has real caves and hundreds of them. North Florida.

Really solid point. Would be a major shame to plan a trip to Kona (or any ocean spot) only to get blown out and unable to reschedule... maybe central FL is the ticket.

Florida cave country has the advantage of clear, calm, temperate springs. The biggest skill to master is just staying still. Lauren Fanning is a good teacher, though I only did some coaching sessions with her; not a class.

I would imagine Kona with Mer would have the advantage of ocean conditions. Fundies made me a better diver for sure, but not necessarily a better ocean diver. Maybe this is not a consideration.

have you spoken with any instructors to get their pitch?

Take a look at Eight Diving in the Seattle area. Winter is the best time to dive as the water has better visibility. It will be ocean diving, but I’ve never canceled a dive there due to weather. They have great instructors that will stay connected with you after class. I plan on heading over in the spring to upgrade to a tech pass.

Take a look at Eight Diving in the Seattle area. Winter is the best time to dive as the water has better visibility. It will be ocean diving, but I’ve never canceled a dive there due to weather. They have great instructors that will stay connected with you after class. I plan on heading over in the spring to upgrade to a tech pass.
Negative ghost rider. I've had a number of dives canceled in winter due to storms. Not a big deal for locals, but can be an issue if traveling. September/October is the best time for a combination of weather and viz in my opinion.

But agreed on Alex, Kees, James, Guy. All awesome instructors and the community is great.

I would also factor in the costs of travel and lodging. I'm guessing there's a big difference between Hawaii vs. Florida.

Solid point. Seems the "cheapest" options are FL and possibly Tulum, given the cheap flights from MN. Maybe save my money and just fine dive out in Hawaii some day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom