Fundies cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the things about Fundies is that, if you PASS, you have demonstrated a degree of control in the water, and tolerance of task loading, and maintenance of situational awareness, that most other agencies do not expect of their entry level divers. Even if you go on to Cave 1 or Tech 1 equivalent with another agency, you will be ahead of the curve.

Money spent on Fundies is almost never misspent, IMO.

I agree 100% with Lynne. My original Fundamentals course was $750 which included my share of the costs to get the instructor to our locale. Absolutely the best value I have ever received for any training for anything.....including graduate school....:D

I talked with the instructor I was going to do my nitrox with and he agreed completely that it's pointless to take my nitrox now, just to take fundies later. I'm going to swing by the shop and see if they can order me some pockets to throw on my wetsuit, and see what other gear I may be able to snatch up :D

You can take Fundies in a single tank and without a canister light. If you do, no matter how well you do on skills, you will get a "rec" pass. This means you are not cleared to go on to technical instruction with the agency yet. A "rec" pass can be upgraded to a "tech" pass, if you do a checkout dive with an instructor in doubles and with a can light, and perform to standards.

If you take the class in doubles, you must achieve a certain score to get a tech pass. If not, you are sent off to practice and come back for a reevaluation. I believe you have to get a 4 on all the core skills, but this could be wrong, and if so, I hope someone corrects me. The standards for buoyancy variation and deviation from horizontal trim are tighter for a tech pass. A tech pass clears you to go on to Tech 1 or Cave 1.

Are the requirements for getting the rec pass, rather than the tec pass, less stringent (besides the fact that you don't need the doubles and/or can light)? Do they hold you to the same level, or are they easier on you if you're going for the rec pass? I'm planning on taking the fundies early 2009, but am not planning on diving doubles for a while....that said, I don't want to have them go easier on me just because I'm not eligible for the tec pass at that time.

Yes, the requirements are not as tight for a rec pass. You only need to score a 3/5 on the skills. 3 means completed satifactorily (passed) but needs improvement. 4 means completed the task well. You need 4s to get a tech pass. Trim and bouyancy are held to a tighter requirement as well for tech passes. Rec - bouyancy remains within 5 feet of target and within 30 degrees of horizontal. Tech - bouyancy remains within 3 feet of target and within 20 degrees of horizontal.

John

So I guess it'll be up to me to hold myself to a higher standard....or wait to take it when I'm ready to start diving doubles. Thanks for the info, John!

If you’re thinking about doubles in your future keep an eye on Craigs list. I have found some great deals on doubles recently. I am at least two years away from using them but for the price I couldn’t pass either set up.

Maybe I'll have to start eyeballing craigslist a little harder...I check it out once in a while, but I'm not sure I've ever even seen a set of doubles on it..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom