Fundies cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been searching around online a bit and haven't been able to find much of a price range on the cost of fundies. I'm hoping to take the course sometime next year. I'm deploying soon, but when I get back a few friends and I are going to spend some time in Cozumel, so I'm debating doing it there or in California. About how long does the course take, assuming it goes fairly smoothly on my part, and would there be any cost difference between doing it with zero gravity in playa del carmen (listed as $1500 on their site) vs. doing it in california?

I see the basic answers online, but I'm wondering from those who have been through it and know first hand, because it seems like it can vary from what I've read..

Pick up a phone and call an instructor. It was around $500 or so when I took it last year (plus instructor expenses, which in my case were extremely minimal). Really, though, your best bet is to ask the instructor you are interested in taking the course with.

I'm organizing a Fundies course (It's full already - so far) in Alabama for next year. It's 500.00 per student and we figure roughly 125.00 to 150.00 per student to cover the instructors travel, lodging and his back gas for the classes.

So, I believe we all are figuring about 700 each to cover everything.

Michael

Oh, and when I did the course, it was four days (Th-Sun). That aspect certainly seems to vary by location, though (I know some people who have recently done it in three days, others over four, but with two weeks between weekend sessions).

Oh, and when I did the course, it was four days (Th-Sun). That aspect certainly seems to vary by location, though (I know some people who have recently done it in three days, others over four, but with two weeks between weekend sessions).

Our will be a four day class a well. (Thanks for reminding me.) We are still working on which four days will for for everyone.

Michael

I did mine over two weekends. The first weekend was in Denver for lectures, dry drills, and confined water. The second weekend was in New Mexico for the OW portion of the course. It cost me $450 + travel expenses. I ended up spending around $1000 all together.

I did mine over two weekends. The first weekend was in Denver for lectures, dry drills, and confined water. The second weekend was in New Mexico for the OW portion of the course. It cost me $450 + travel expenses. I ended up spending around $1000 all together.

Was that including your expenses? There will really be no traveling here. The instructor will drive in, we'll put him up in a hotel and pay for his EAN. We figure 700 each for JUST the instructor. Then whatever we pay/do will be added onto the top of that.. of course.

I hope this is helping the OP. :)

Michael

Was that including your expenses? There will really be no traveling here. The instructor will drive in, we'll put him up in a hotel and pay for his EAN. We figure 700 each for JUST the instructor. Then whatever we pay/do will be added onto the top of that.. of course.

I hope this is helping the OP. :)

Michael

All the travel expenses where my own. Rob Calkins is based out of Colorado and teaches his technical classes at a private spring in New Mexico. I drove up to Colorado for the first part of the class, then drove to New Mexico for the second part of the class. He had already been down there for a day or so working with some of students from a different class.

The bottom line is that the instructor fee for Fundies is variable -- GUE instructors are free to set their prices where they want. ZG is at the very high end for Fundies, and it makes sense; why teach a four day class for $500, which you can teach Cave 1 over five days for four times that much?

I think $500 is much more typical.

When we did ours down here in AZ we had an instuctor drive down from Wa and we paid 500 for the class and each paid 100 for his expenses. That seems to be the going rate. With your profile saying you are in SoCal there are lots of instuctors in the SoCal area why not just contact them and see what they charge?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom