Functions of a dive guide

What do you think a dive guide should do for you?

• Set up your gear, or make sure it's done properly

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Determine and ensure proper weighting

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Monitor and manage your air supply

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Monitor and manage your buoyancy

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Handle all navigational responsibilities

Votes: 50 90.9%
  • Manage minor problems (eg. loose cambands, disconnected hose)

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Manage major failures (eg. freeflow, OOG, autoinflating BC)

Votes: 17 30.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being new to Diving but having decades of commercial experience in Outdoor/Adventure I am naturaly wondering about LIABILITY.
While I understand that many experienced Divers (and perhaps some innexperienced ones) would not apreciate having there own equippment touched by somebody the hardly know the qualifications/experience of, my Gutfeeling tells me that in case of a incident a Court of Law may very well expect anyone representing themselves as a GUIDE and/or DIVEMASTER to be an all encompasing role.

I have to agree with Gudu here but with lots of others as well.

As a relatively new diver, I've never dove with a guide yet.

But a very reliable and trustworthy source told me this:

1) You are responsible for your own gear but if you are doing a guided dive, the divemaster(s) on board should be keeping an eye on the divers as they prep their gear. Don't LET the DM or DG prep your gear. (He told me some scary stories of DG's trying to prep people's gear and an accident occurred underwater that luckily just involved a tank coming out and noone getting hurt because he happened to be behind that person.)
2) A DG or DM should be showing you the good things on the dive.
3) If you are going on a boat dive, there should be a DM (not just a DG) on the boat.
4) A good DM will help with free flows and other bigger issues.
5) You and your buddy are responsible for everything else and your DM might be occupied so you better be able to deal with any bigger issues on your own!!

When we were in Bonaire this last time I had nasal polyps bursting so opted not to dive the last day because they were causing 3 hour headaches after dives. But I wanted the DH to still be able to dive so I suggested he sign up for 2 boat dives with Buddy (where we were staying). The 2nd boat dive only had 3 people signed up so I decided to go along and snorkle so that the boat could still go out. Irene and Gwen were AWESOME DMs. As they were gearing up, Irene was paying attention and noticed one gal hadn't hooked in her BCD hose and helped another guy with a free flow. My husband said that while on the dive she pointed out some things that there was no way he would have found on his own had we done that site by ourselves. She also "navigated" although they were allowed to stray a little bit. As I was preparing to go in to snorkle, Gwen told me a few places to look as I may see some great things if I was paying closer attention. I had a great snorkle and saw not only the anchor he was talking about (I wouldn't have spotted it on my own) but had 3 or 4 turtles come right up to me because he told me if I moved a lot slower in this particular area I would likely have a better snorkle. He was right.

That was my idea of what good DMs should be!

Oh, I picked "navigation" but I don't mean "always" and I also picked "manage major failures" but think it should be "HELP to manage major failures."

I would have to say - "none of the above". I want the guide to do one thing - guide me to interesting things I might not otherwise know about / find on my own. And, do that within the parameters of plan that my buddy and I have (and have informed the guide about). No more.

Not sure if I qualify as new still. I sometimes feel I do. I would have to say none of the above to be honest. I like to handle my own equipment. I am a little funny that way. I like it set up exactly how I want it, and I trust it more if I am the one putting it together. I also trust my safety to myself. That means I monitor my own air. Monitor my own location. Monitor my own buoyancy including weight. I was taught all these things in OW, and don't feel it is another's responsibility to look after the basics like that for me. I am not one for being babysat I suppose. All I ask of a dive guide is to give me a good dive briefing, warnings of known dangers like spots where current is usually bad or weak spots on a wreck, and if they'll be in the water, maybe point out a couple good spots for critters or photos. That's it though. The dive planning and the dive are between my buddy and I.

If the dive guide can show me where Squiggy the octopus hangs out or where the preferred overhang of a local nurse shark is located....I'm all good. If he can't do that and I'm left to explore on my own....I'm all good. If something unexpected does happen, and he comes over to help my buddy team deal with it....I welcome the input of a seasoned professional, but realize that the safety of my buddy team falls solely on our shoulders.

Other: to satisfy a legal requirement, as in cozumel.

Back
Top Bottom