Functions of a dive guide

What do you think a dive guide should do for you?

• Set up your gear, or make sure it's done properly

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Determine and ensure proper weighting

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Monitor and manage your air supply

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Monitor and manage your buoyancy

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Handle all navigational responsibilities

Votes: 50 90.9%
  • Manage minor problems (eg. loose cambands, disconnected hose)

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Manage major failures (eg. freeflow, OOG, autoinflating BC)

Votes: 17 30.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not being new, I cheated and voted anyway, because I think that's how I would've voted. I checked "handle navigation, etc.". Not that I can't or couldn't do it back then, but being a shell collector this is where my mind tends to be. On my one and only tropical trip to Panama it was a real pleaure to be with a very good DM who knew exactly where everything was. Of course when diving in a non guided place, I do all that is needed. I'm not crazy about others doing anything with my equipment, though when I was a newbie I must admit some of that stuff was a nice help. Some of the choices like monitoring air, equipment set up--- well, it's too bad these even have to be included for a new diver, but that's the way it is. Excellent poll.

My original post covered my thoughts about a DM. It has been deleted.

As for a Dive Guide? If it is a dive guide, none of thing things above except for Navigation is the duty of a dive guide.

Last edited:
I think TSandM was quite clever in her wording of the thread title and the introductory comments. She left the door open for an entire range of interpretation....

All of those things she lists in the poll are possible "functions" of a DM. The real question resides in the "should" and "expect" wording! There's a world of difference between what your professional responsibility might be and what your responsibilities to your employer are. Many employers will "expect" DMs to do all of those things, and more. When I train DMs I tell them that I "expect" them to interact with our customers between dives and that their job isn't done when their head breaks the surface of the water. I tell them they "should" break out a fish book and show people pictures or that they "should" sit with the customers at meal times for a few minutes and socialize. When employers have these expectations and require DMs to provide these services, then divers come to expect them as well and feel that they haven't got their money's worth if the services are not provided. Maybe we've dug our own grave here in terms of creating overly dependent divers....

Anyway, well done with the wording, TSandM!

What I think - 'None of the above'. The dive guide/master should supervise divers, to make sure that they're doing those things for themselves, only providing assistance in circumstances where a diver's failure to achieve their own responsibilities would create a danger for them or others. In all other respects, a dive guide might be employed as a 'tour host'; providing an outline dive plan and basic navigation to ensure that divers can enjoy the best possible experience on a given dive - see the interesting marine life, features etc.

What I see (here in Asia) - 'All of the above'. The dive guide/master takes all responsibility from divers for kitting up, dive planning, navigation, gas management etc etc. A state of absolute reliance, in the guise of 'customer service expectation', that ultimately serves to significantly retard the formation of positive experience and on-going skill proficiency/progression of the divers concerned.

I dive most of the time in Asia and DM is provided on every dive with no exception. It came to a shock when I went to GBR. My buddy(a complete stranger) and I were told by the boat master to head to certain direction for the dive and make sure to return to the boat afterwards. Well. we did not stray very far from the boat initially. There was one thing that we learnt, went against the current in the beginning and rode the current back to the boat.
I wonder how many new divers are happy without some degree of "supervision"?

@Centrals-

I was taught to swim against the current in the beginning of the dive and to ride it back (but don't pass the boat) on the way back. A boat will have a trail line extending aft from the stern of the boat in case you overshoot it by a little.

It sounds like the captain knew where the dive site was, what the currents were like and put his boat in just the right place for you to start your dive. To me, a boat is a 'water taxi' and the taxi did it's job perfectly. My first 9 dives were with a DM (OW/AOW) but after that I rarely had a DM in the water with me. I find good buddies and rely on the skills that we were taught.

I think TSandM was quite clever in her wording of the thread title and the introductory comments. She left the door open for an entire range of interpretation....

All of those things she lists in the poll are possible "functions" of a DM. The real question resides in the "should" and "expect" wording! There's a world of difference between what your professional responsibility might be and what your responsibilities to your employer are. Many employers will "expect" DMs to do all of those things, and more. When I train DMs I tell them that I "expect" them to interact with our customers between dives and that their job isn't done when their head breaks the surface of the water. I tell them they "should" break out a fish book and show people pictures or that they "should" sit with the customers at meal times for a few minutes and socialize. When employers have these expectations and require DMs to provide these services, then divers come to expect them as well and feel that they haven't got their money's worth if the services are not provided. Maybe we've dug our own grave here in terms of creating overly dependent divers....

Anyway, well done with the wording, TSandM!

I am curious if there was a reason for TSandM chosing the term "dive guide" vs. dive master....hmmmm..

All the options on this poll are things that a certified diver should do for him/her-self.

But I would like my DM to back me up in case I forget something, and help me out in an emergency.

Unfortunately, these were not options in the poll.

And there's no "none of the above" option.

Most of the respondents are confusing "Dive Guide" with "Divemaster". A dive guide may be a certified divemaster, but not necessarily so. You might hire a private divemaster for your dive, but that is usually for folks who are unsure/not confident of their skills and want some extra instruction/looking after. A divemaster, in my opinion, should provide a conditions check, provide a thorough briefing, tell you what you can expect to see, check the condition of the mooring, tie in the granny/drift/guide lines if necessary or provided, help you on or off the boat if necessary, and fulfill the deckhand role. A dive guide dives with you and shows you cool stuff, helps the photographers between dives, fills cylinders between dives, and allows divers to follow them on their dive.

As a liveaboard owner, I would never hire a divemaster to do the dive guide's job, or if I did, they would not be introduced nor have the responsibilities of a divemaster.

And I think that's kind of Lynne's point. People expect something completely different than what a dive pro thinks that they do or should provide. If I'm wrong, Lynne, just slap me.

I've never heard of the distinction of DM vs DG but it makes sense. The liveaboard I have the most experience with ( 3 weeks on BlackBeards ) all of the duties of the DM and the fill responsibility of the DG is actually performed by an instructor. They generally don't provide a DG unless you ask for it in which case someone from the crew ( frequently you'll find that even the cook or deck hand has a DM cert ) will love to go diving with you.

I've asked for a guide before just so I can give someone from the crew a chance to get a dive in. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom