Functions of a dive guide

What do you think a dive guide should do for you?

• Set up your gear, or make sure it's done properly

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Determine and ensure proper weighting

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Monitor and manage your air supply

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Monitor and manage your buoyancy

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Handle all navigational responsibilities

Votes: 50 90.9%
  • Manage minor problems (eg. loose cambands, disconnected hose)

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Manage major failures (eg. freeflow, OOG, autoinflating BC)

Votes: 17 30.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have my own approach to diving, but I'm frequently nonplussed by how different it is from some of the other folks who write on the board. So I'm curious about what diving functions the typical (or atypical, because they're on SB in the first place) new diver expects a dive guide to perform for them. We will take it as a given that, since the customers may be unfamiliar with the area, the dive guide will propose the dive plan, including depth profile, dive time, and basic navigation, and will brief this in useful detail. But other than that, of the responsibilities above, which do you think the dive guide should do for you? And please explain why you think that function should be performed by the guide.

Edited at others' suggestion to add: I really wanted to ask this of new divers, which is why I put it in the New Divers forum. I would assume that, for many people at least, increasing experience leads to decreasing dependence on guides to do much of anything (although I may be wrong in that). Also, if you do not expect a dive guide to do anything for you, feel free to post and say so. I left that choice off the list.

Last edited:
In this case, of the options listed, that is the only one to choose. What I really expect from a dive guide is a site briefing and explanation of when to be back on the boat. Most of the time I will choose to be in the vicinity of the guide, but that's not a hard and fast position

Is it too late to add "none of the above" to your poll?

I did not find any of the choices appropriate to me.

In many places a guide is not needed, in which case I don't want one. In other locations, they are very valuable. When I am in a location where a dive guide is valuable I want the guide to show me cool things that I would not be able to find on my own. In many cases where there is complex navigation, I expect the guide to get me to the place we are looking for. Does that mean "all navigation"? Maybe sometimes. Usually not.

Generally, for an unfamiliar site where there might be navigation problems, the divemaster is expected to navigate and show the divers cool things. However, if the site has pretty simple navigation, the DM might not lead and may just explain how to navigate.

Regardless, there should always be buddy pairs, and they should be responsible for each other during the dive and in emergencies. The DM may check everyone for minor issues before a dive, in the rare case if a buddy misses a problem. For major issues, if it's apparent that the buddy group has no idea what to do, the DM could step in.

Please note that I put this in the "New Divers" subforum -- I KNOW those of us with hundreds of dives generally don't expect anyone to do most of those things for us.

Oh, and by "all navigation" I meant that the guide is responsible for everything necessary to get the divers back to shore or the boat. I will cheerfully let a dive guide be responsible for planning the tour to get us to the best stuff, but I always try to know how I would get back to the boat or shore if I had to do it myself.

Please note that I put this in the "New Divers" subforum -- I KNOW those of us with hundreds of dives generally don't expect anyone to do most of those things for us...

So, are you looking just for input from "new" divers?

If so, why not edit your first post to ask that. Otherwise you know what responses you will get from the "usual" crowd.....:)

Some of the above are nice to haves, but really none of the above.

I do expect them to know the local sites and conditions and put me on a safe dive site (given local currents, weather, etc). I do expect them to brief me on the local conditions, diving practices and key things to look out for.

If available I would vote for, depends (not the kind some people have to wear either).

I think local customs and the type of clientele that they generally deal with should have a lot to do with how much or how little they do. Of course I would hope that if they are a resort shop that deals primarily with vacation divers with little experience that they do a LOT but still are flexible enough to allow more freedom to those that want it and are capable of diving safely in the prevailing conditions without assistance.

Back
Top Bottom