Functions of a dive guide

What do you think a dive guide should do for you?

• Set up your gear, or make sure it's done properly

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Determine and ensure proper weighting

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Monitor and manage your air supply

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Monitor and manage your buoyancy

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Handle all navigational responsibilities

Votes: 50 90.9%
  • Manage minor problems (eg. loose cambands, disconnected hose)

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Manage major failures (eg. freeflow, OOG, autoinflating BC)

Votes: 17 30.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not and have not been a DM. I don't have a DM on most of my dives and don't need a DM to hold my hand. But, when there is a DM, I suspect they are doing a lot of things behind the scenes to ensure my safety.

For example, on my first trip on BlackBeards I was looking at my previous dives and planning my next dive when I joked with the DM something regarding how it's not that important to calculate RNT/ABT because with the long surface intervals I always always back to a lot of NDL ( think A diver ). He made a comment that this wasn't by accident but by design. They felt it was easier and more effective to set the schedule that way to ensure diver safety rather then getting in peoples faces and checking their computers and dive plans.

The point is, I imagine there are a lot of things that can be done behind the scenes to "help" divers without getting in their face and/or holding their hand.

I like what windapp had to say. The role of the DM/dive leader varies with the divers being "led," and, candidly, how much they paid. In a "catered," led dive with a group on a private charter I would do everything listed in the poll that the customers wanted. But on every dive, I think the DM should give a thorough briefing of the site, including currents, hazards, and positive things to look for. The DM should offer divers the chance to dive with him if they wish to be "led," even if other options are available. The DM should answer questions and assist with equipment issues and weighting. The DM's role changes with the type of charter and skill level of the divers. While some divers may say they want to be led on a dive and have the DM point out "cool things," there are other who will say what they want is to be left alone. The poll options seem to all be focused on someone who does not dive much.
DivemasterDennis

None of the above.

Maybe I have never been lucky enough to go somewhere that a DM/Dive guide was 100% required and from my perspective they appear to be more of a benefit to the Cpt then to the divers. I prefer that someone just brief the site, entry/exit procedures, etc and then let everyone go.

DM is kind of an overrated position IMO.

I like what windapp had to say. The role of the DM/dive leader varies with the divers being "led," and, candidly, how much they paid. In a "catered," led dive with a group on a private charter I would do everything listed in the poll that the customers wanted. But on every dive, I think the DM should give a thorough briefing of the site, including currents, hazards, and positive things to look for. The DM should offer divers the chance to dive with him if they wish to be "led," even if other options are available. The DM should answer questions and assist with equipment issues and weighting. The DM's role changes with the type of charter and skill level of the divers. While some divers may say they want to be led on a dive and have the DM point out "cool things," there are other who will say what they want is to be left alone. The poll options seem to all be focused on someone who does not dive much.
DivemasterDennis

well we paid for a private DM in Mexico back in may but not for the reasons listed in that poll, for one other than my husband i will not trust anyone else to put my gear together, but rather because i was uncomfortable with the 8 group size they were assigning to one DM
it wasn't because i wanted the DM to hold our hands but because we did not want to be in a crowd of 8
and looking back now i think we will do that whenever possible, it is really nice to have the area to yourself
what they did for us that is not even in the poll is haul our gear to and from the boat which again i thought was rather nice, in fact the captain did all that and of course after they were generously tipped the first dive they did it even more willingly on the next 3
and for the record i voted "Handle all navigational responsibilities" which now as a noob as well as when i will have hundreds of dives, a.k.a more experienced, like others on this board i will expect the DM to handle that aspect, after all i pay for his services because i don't know the area and i expect to be shown around and be brought back to the shore...if i knew the area i would just hire a boat ans skip on the dive shop's services

A dive guide who knows the reef can show where the interesting creatures are. He/she should get the divers back to the boat and be there for major malfunctions underwater. As far as setting up your gear and such, those are perks and DM should be rewarded with a gratuity for doing so.

Good site briefing and guide those divers that would like a GUIDED tour. The name does not imply much more than that, and I would not expect more than that.

I can't answer as a new diver, but I can answer in regard to what I feel my own actual responsibilities are. I think the only thing on the list that I truly feel I must do is know where I am on the reef and not get people lost. That's why they've got a guide, after all. I will do some of the other things to reduce the likelihood of having to perform rescues. I'll glance at people's gear when it's set up, I'll even help set up if necessary; I'll work with them if they seem confused about their weighting needs; I'll check air periodically throughout the dive and try to manage depth profiles so that they get a nice long dive; I'll carry extra weights in case they need more on a safety stop; I'll help them sort out both major and minor problems underwater if they need the help (most recently I dragged a girl down to help her pick up a lost weight belt both so she wouldn't float up and so that she actually retrieved the belt). But all of these actions are "good customer service" rather than "responsibilities of a dive guide."

A good DM is a master of all.

When I have groups, I look for a DM that is a master of diving!

To handle the navigation, as in show me the typical hot spots. This would also mean the dive profile considering that one hot spot might be at 35ft, the other at 49ft, the next at 25ft and so on.

The rest is my responsibility ......... but if they do it then it's just a bonus.

I vote for show the cool stuff. Still haven't found a seahorse by myself. I know I would not have found a splendid toadfish on my own either.

Back
Top Bottom