fun trip with kids needed.....????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoh44

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm looking for a fun dive/road trip. I have two kids that need to have a little fun too. Where's a good place to go and maybe camp out with kids? I've never really been anywhere in Texas (freshwater) except Balmorhea. Suggestions? Thanx!:blinking:
Jo

How about one day/night at Six Flags, here in Arlington, and a night or two camping and diving at Clear Springs, where we do most of our diving?

Aren't you out in western Texas? If so you could head west, Carlsbad Caverns, Bottomless Lakes state park (diving), maybe even check out the Blue Hole (if its re-opened).

I've been to the Bottomless Lakes and Blue Hole is one of my "usuals". It's a mess anyway right now.

I'll check out Clear Springs. I've heard of it, but don't know much about it. Sounds like a fun trip. Thanks.

Clear Springs does not allow just swimming and horsing around so that is a bad choice. Robert gets very grutchy and will visit your dock and tell you so. People should know better than recommend Clear Springs for a family outing.

My step son Austin’s favorites are
Windy Point- private Lots of open space, rocks to jump off .
Private so no one to just stroll through and bbq pits and camping like atmosphere. HEB and Starbucks is 15 minutes up the street.

Next is Athens scuba park-
They have a pool, hot tub, kayaks, they play Caribbean music and town is three blocks away. The water quality can be sometimes icky in late summer but it is a nice place.
I have no problems taking family there.

Carlsbad was great we did the walk down and gave Austin his own flash light and he just took off down the path.

Austin also likes to float the San Marcos River. We have never camped there.

Good luck, Andrew

I would also recommend Windy Point. You can take the kids into town for the Bob Bullock Museum, the Capitol etc. Check and see if Deep Blue 3D is still on at the IMAX. Great movie. Camping is great and they can swim all they want at Windy Point.

Just in case, Windy Point is the private side not the public city owned. I will try to find the website for you. www.windypointpark.com

Landa RV Park (not Landa Park) in New Braunsfels, Texas. You can float or dive the Comal River, as well as take the kids to Schlitterbahn Water Park. Comal is only 12 feet at the deepest or so, but the viz is very good at times. Much better than lakes. Also, Gruene is near by and you can tube the Guadalupe River there.

Down the road a bit is San Antonio, up the road a bit is San Marcos (River) then Austin (Windy Park). Lots of fun to be had in that area. I'd rather spend the weekend there than Clear Springs or Athens, but I live near them.

Great suggestions! Thanks all. I might have to make a ten day trip and try to hit all of them. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom