Full suits vs. two piece.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
K, I need some advice.

I was about to just purchase a 3mm full suit, and then get a 7mm suit later.

But before I buy, I'm wondering how effective it is to put a 5mm vest under or over a 3mm full suit for lower temps 55-60F. Is this somehow MUCH less effective vs. just getting a 7mm full suit?

Another option is to get a 5mm two piece suit, and use the top for warmer waters.

Decisions...decisions....

When my wife asked what I wanted for XMAS, and I told her a wetsuit, she told me to just buy it myself... guess the Romance is dead :11:

Ron

Hey Ron temps you dive? 7mm Farmer is ok,3mm is for warmer water,Just dove with some divers out East and they were diving wet with 7mm and a 5mm like shorty,guess Henderson made this set up. Like to find a 5mm shorty to layer over the 7mm,But rember the size,not sure my BCD will fit the set up! My bet get the 7mm you cant be too warm!
non-diving wifes and diving= just dont mix,
p.s. dont let them go to the LDS to pick something up for you and they see the prices!!!!!
Dive safe,
Brad

RonFrank:
K, I need some advice.

I was about to just purchase a 3mm full suit, and then get a 7mm suit later.

But before I buy, I'm wondering how effective it is to put a 5mm vest under or over a 3mm full suit for lower temps 55-60F. Is this somehow MUCH less effective vs. just getting a 7mm full suit?

Another option is to get a 5mm two piece suit, and use the top for warmer waters.

Decisions...decisions....

When my wife asked what I wanted for XMAS, and I told her a wetsuit, she told me to just buy it myself... guess the Romance is dead :11:

Ron

I would opt for the 5mm two piece rather them the one piece. It's warmer if you're diving a couple dives a day or if you're doing any kind of week-end trips. If you get cold diving I might even think of going for a two piece 6.5mm just to stay warm enough. Dry suit is really the way to go, though.

Considering that I'm comfy in the water down to ~ 40 in a 2 piece 7mm, and ~ 65 in a 3mm fullsuit, I think I'd probably be OK with a 3mm full + 5mm shorty to about, say, 50? Maybe a little bit less?

Wearing the top part of a 2 pc 7mm by itself didn't work for me. Was way too big when I took the part underneath off.

I live in CO, the the water temps are cold even in summer. But I mainly want to dive warm. Have a cuz who dives in FL, and we R planning on speding a lot more time visiting FL in the future. We are considering a move to FL after 10 years in the CO mountains!

I guess I was initially thinking a 3mm fullsuit, and a 7mm fullsuit... But now am wondering if a 5mm vest along with the 3mm would be warm enough for summer diving in water that would be in the low 60s.

The popular checkout spot where I will likey end up diving again is Blue Hole NM with a water temp of 62F year around. I was plenty warm there in a 7mm suit with a beenie. Some were not warm in the same water with the same setup, so I think I stay a bit warmer than some.

I agree that a drysuit is definately the way to dive cold, but not sure if I want to dive cold all that much, and they are not exactly inexpensive.

I think I'll go with the 3mm for now, will either puchase a 7mm if I do a lot of colder diving, or pick up a 5mm vest and hope that it's enough under a 3mm. I'm planning on a stretch suit, so that should allow something underneith.

More suggestions are always welcome, and thanks to those who have responded.

Ron

moneysavr:
Hey Ron temps you dive? 7mm Farmer is ok,3mm is for warmer water,Just dove with some divers out East and they were diving wet with 7mm and a 5mm like shorty,guess Henderson made this set up. Like to find a 5mm shorty to layer over the 7mm,But rember the size,not sure my BCD will fit the set up! My bet get the 7mm you cant be too warm!
non-diving wifes and diving= just dont mix,
p.s. dont let them go to the LDS to pick something up for you and they see the prices!!!!!
Dive safe,
Brad

Florida the Full 3mm works great! Just got back and thats the ticket,and yes The 7mm farmer works for me. Sometimes you hate to buy the stuff but wetsuits are not that bad on price-if you know you size used 3mmls are cheap.And for my first 7mm I got a neo-sport cheap!and its made by a major wet suit maker just the low price line and put over 55 + dives on it with out a tear.
Brad

I was in the same boat and went with two pieces because it is much more versatile set up in any condition. In my case, I bought Henderson 7 mm full suit and 5 mm vest with hood because the upper body is much weaker in the cold. It really worked very well in the temperature 52 degree last weekend. I just bought and added the 1 mm microprene full suit in the temperate 47 degree yesterday. I don’t feel any coldness at all except foot. I should have bought 7 mm boot. Some people are skeptical about microprene 30% protection, but it worked very well to me. My buddy also added 1 mm microprene with 7 mm suit with hood. She didn’t complain any coldness at all.

hoosier:
I was in the same boat and went with two pieces because it is much more versatile set up in any condition. In my case, I bought Henderson 7 mm full suit and 5 mm vest with hood because the upper body is much weaker in the cold. It really worked very well in the temperature 52 degree last weekend. I just bought and added the 1 mm microprene full suit in the temperate 47 degree yesterday. I don’t feel any coldness at all except foot. I should have bought 7 mm boot. Some people are skeptical about microprene 30% protection, but it worked very well to me. My buddy also added 1 mm microprene with 7 mm suit with hood. She didn’t complain any coldness at all.
Hey Hoosier,
Microprene- is there a brand or made by who?I have a skin i put under my 7mm and it seems to help some but like to find out more on this microprene,
Thanks Brad

Hi Brad,
It is made by Henderson. It is a thicker than a skin that doesn't provide a heat protection, but helps an easy in and out of your thick suit.

Henderson claims that there is 30% more heat protection. I think it is true remark as I tested. This weekend's water temperature is colder than last week's water temperature, but we felt less heat loss. She, my buddy, is so sensitive to the coldness, but she was happy with her set up, 1 mm Microprene and 7 mm suit with hood.

I also checked out ScubaPro product. It is only 0.5 mm and doesn't have a knee pad unlike Microprene. I think that Microprene is much more practical for a tropical diving or swimming pool practice in the future.

I hope this gives some helps.

moneysavr:
Hey Hoosier,
moneysavr:
Microprene- is there a brand or made by who?I have a skin i put under my 7mm and it seems to help some but like to find out more on this microprene,
Thanks Brad

Back
Top Bottom