Full Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydroslyder

Registered
Reaction score
Has there ever been a company that sold a full tech diving/cave diving equipment setup, made for doubles, including a canister light, including the backup lights, bungeed parts, w/wo regulators, harness, and wings and everything else I forgot to mention to get someone started up in cave diving. I am asking becuase I want to start cave diving, and since I cant get a DIR expert to come down and set up my gear I hoped a company might already have done this with the gear, you just buy it and adjust the harness and attach the lights and needed accessories.

Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose?

Wouldn't you like to know why the gear is set up the way it is, why those specific choices were made, how to put together and maintain the gear, etc?

If you're thinking DIR, buy the DIRF book from www.gue.com, take a DIRF class, or tell us where you are. I'm sure there are a couple DIR guys on the board near enough to you willing to help out :wink:

First step is to read as much as you can and ask questions to learn as much as possible. JJ's book is a big help. The next step is to take a DIR-F class, and there really is no substitute for taking this class. You will have the opportunity to ask as many questions as you like and get all the reasons and pros/cons for using/not using each piece of equipment.

Take a look at the GUE website for class schedules, or contact the instructor closest to you to see if he/she has anything scheduled. A few of the GUE instructors teach classes on the road, so you might be able to join one of their classes. You could even set up your own class in your area if an instructor is willing to travel there.

Halcyon has many of the DIR details taken care of in most of their equipment... but getting the details right will take a little more than just buying the equipment and jumping in.

If you want to learn about DIR, the best way is to get the DIR video. I believe there are 3 of them now. There are also a bunch of lectures by Trey that are available as audio files, or transcripts, and gobs of DIR sites with good information, such www.baue.org.

I think that rigging DIR and getting used to the configuration is probably a good idea, but don't wait too long to take the DIR-F class. It's a lot easier to learn good habits than to break bad ones.

There are always DIR demos happening, take a look at http://www.subtidal.net/

Navigate to class shedules and then click on "experience days". Just find one in your area.

I hope this helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom