Full Set Of Gear Lost To Davy Jones' Locker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an extra bungee for an octo i am willing to donate to help recoup losses... it may only be $1.50, but every little bit helps. All i can say is i'm thankfull i can learn from the mistakes of others so i don't have to make them myself. I would have never thought to inflate my BC, thank you for the great advice!

I remember the time that I was at the local quarry and thought I had the BC inflated enough. Dropped my gear into the water so I could don it in the water and it went to the bottom. Luckily it was only about 20' deep and my DB went after it.

Best of luck to this person.

So, who has a rebreather (no bubbles) to retrieve the rig?
If it were up in our area here it sure wouldn't
go to waste on the bottom for long.
Actually the whole purpose of the gear is for it
to be on the bottom as often and as long as possible.
Only there should be a lucky diver attached to it.

crpntr133:
I remember the time that I was at the local quarry and thought I had the BC inflated enough. Dropped my gear into the water so I could don it in the water and it went to the bottom. Luckily it was only about 20' deep and my DB went after it.

Best of luck to this person.
If my gear went into 20' of water, or for that matter
pretty much anything under 60-70',
or upwards to 100' if in clear water.
I'd freedive and recover it myself.

I've seen a couple sets of gear tip over with the weight left in the pockets. Generally this makes them fall forward into the passenger area (which is good), but could cause 60+ pounds of gear to land on someones foot (which is bad). :D

One boat I was on said they had one tip over, strike the tank valve, and go into orbit with all the gear attached. While it would have been fun to see, being in the way of it or having it be your gear would blow. (pun intended) :shakehead

The guy across from me on a boat in Key Largo had his gear fall over. I was lucky enough that it missed my foot. He was lucky enough that all it did was break a hose (LP I think). I caught it and shut off his air. Then held it until he secured it.

Some people have to pee on the electric fence....

I believe the depth was around 50'.

Now that is a BAD DAY! Thanks for sharing. I dive only occasionally from boats so this is a very good reminder. Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom