Full foot fins still hurting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeLo

Registered
Reaction score
I posted a while back about a pair of Mares Quattro Power full foot fins which would cause pain after a while on teh outside of each foot where there is a bone. I returned them and got a pair of cressi full foot fins and i seem to be having the same problem..is it the shape of my foot, and has anyone else had this problem? I would purchase open heel fins but i'm afraid i'm gonna have the same problem when it comes time to buy a pair of freediving fins ive been wanting to get.

Can you use the thin neoprene socks?

My Cressi full foot freediving fins hurt after a while just because I am not uses to having anything rub there.

I plan to try lubing my heel with silicone next time to reduce the friction.

Are the fins too small? Many people buy a fin that is either definitely too small or that just fits and these both seem to cause problems. A fin that is just slightly loose - not floppy or massively too big - seems to be the go.

You can also try a pair of socks - I like the polartec version the best as they're really comfy and don't feel icky to put on wet. You may need to buy the next size up with the socks.

Which Cressi did you buy - a couple of their models have a fitted foot pocket that takes some getting used to. But they still shouldn't hurt.

Are you buying from a dive shop? If so, they should have people who have used the fins and can help fit you properly. They won't be able to solve every problem or guarantee that your fins won't hurt, but they should be able to get you close!

FWIW I went out whale sharking a couple of weekends ago - it's all snorkelling - and used the fins I always use. They ended up rubbing all the skin off my toes! Combination of not having snorkelled for that length of time in a whole lot of months and just the day. Since then they've been fine. If our water gets too cold I go up a size in the same style and add my sharkskin/polartec socks.

How tight are the sides of your feet in the fins when you're on the surface?

1. I do wear neoprene socks and outside of water they do not feel tight at all they feel really comfortable

2. Outside of the water i do not feel it pressing against the bone...this only happens after constant finning in water, and its that stupid boney part.

3. Theyre the cressi pro star, but i had the same problem with the fullfoot quattros. And I was going to buy Gara 3000's but now i'm hesitant because i don't want it hurting everytime i start finning.

4. And as requested here's a pic of my foot illustrating where it hurts..

4ka5e85.jpg

Now i don't know if this is normal or common with full foot fins or if there's any way to fix it but i'd appreciate the help..thx

I have the same problem. The bone on the side of my foot is even more pronounced than your foot. I have a small bump right where you have placed the arrow. Everyone has that bone, mine just sticks out, freakishly. I recently changed from Oceanic Caribe, which didn't hurt my feet at all, to Mares Tre fins. The Caribes had developed a discoloration, like they had been bent too far. With neoprene socks or without, I couldn't wait to get the Mares off my feet. I think my problem stems from having flat feet. Someone once told me I should see a foot doctor to have the bone ground down. Two word response, second word being "that". This was the first time my feet ever bothered me in my life. Of course, I was in Palau. So now I'm going back to Oceanics. I believe they have changed model names but my hope is that they still have the same soft rubber. Hope this helps.

Richie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom