Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CyberSam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys

I'm going to get certified real soon but im doing some online research now. I know using normal diving equipment while learning is really useful and important but what do you guys think about full face mask? something like this - Gull Mantis Full Face Mask

using this full face i can breathe through my nose but is it recommended?

Thanks
Sam

Wait until after you get certified to worry about it. They're useful for diving in contaminated water or if you need to communicate with tenders on the surface while working underwater, but expensive, bulky, and complicate gas sharing. I think I've seen one in over ten years of diving.

i agree with with @rongoodman. you will complicate the training and learning of fundamental skills if you start with a full face mask. There is a lot to be said for getting comfortable with not breathing through your nose THEN moving on to fancier equipment but knowing how to use traditional regs as backup.

That will require a new skillset well beyond just learning to dive. It will NOT make things easier. You will need to have basic scuba skills down before you can use a full face mask like that. Having a small air or vision issue in the water now means you have both and air AND vision issue at the same time. That is not an entry level issue to have. That is not where to start at. You need to have the basics down before you start piling problems on top of other problems.

There is also some controversy about safety. I copy this just for general info. Can say that one of our DMs who bought one didn’t care for it and he gave himself a couple of weeks to get used to it. Anyway here is the article. I totally agree with the others. There are skills you need to learn like mask clearing to pass PADI cert.
Why We No Longer Support Full-Faced Snorkel Masks ⋆ Hawaii Ocean Project

thank you guys for these detailed replies. I really appreciate your input. I'm not gonna rush into anything. So im gonna take it real slow and study the basics first :)

The full face snorkel masks were examined here Full face snorkels - Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Seac Sub have done a bit more work on the breathing in terms of airflow restrictions, unlike the Asian clones, but still having seeing and breathing in the one item is not a good idea for snorkel supplied air. Fast ditch is required as if the mask floods you instantly lose both and they are really only for surface swimming with kids using them under close supervision. And that ain't on shore watching them, you need to be in the water with them, or they are in the shallowest of depths within easy reach and rapid intervention.

They seem neat, but I can see a couple things that could be problems. I'm sure they've all been well addressed and I'm just not informed. Which by itself could be a problem. If I'm the only person who knows how my gear works and have a problem, is anyone going to be able to help?

if you're going to buy a ffm, go with an aga or an ots. But as mentioned get certified first

Back
Top Bottom