Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eyewear inserts are available for the Divator MKII. The Mantis has available replacement lenses in .5 diopter increments, I believe. You can also have lenses bonded to the Divator visor, however, if you're diving in cold water, you may have problems with delamination from the temperature differential. How many gases do you dive regularly?

CavernDiver:
does anyone know if theres a good FFM with corrective lens? I know my name saids cavern diver but i am full cave cert and on long dives my jaw feels like it's going to fall off. Thanks
a good optics shop can cut and grind full replacement lenses for any full face mask that uses two lenses. This would include masks like the Mantis, Scubapro and Kirby Morgan M48.

For masks with a large single lens you can have lenses cut and then bonded to the mask. Be sure to take the mask in with you so that they can get the lense centered properly and adjust the optics to accommodate what ever space exists between your eyeball and the lens.

Personally, I prefer using contact lenses.

I like many of the others have dove just about every full face mask on the market. I unlike many of the others have to dive with them on a regular basis. Before I tell you my favorite I will suggest that you find a way to try them all before purchasing one of them. Reason being that different people really like different things about each mask. Also until you have about 10 dives on each mask it will be next to impossible to make a fair decision on which one you like best. Since they are all fairly expensive you will do yourself a favor by actually deciding if you even like diving with one before you purchase one.

Now I dive regularly for the University of Washington and the American Academy of underwater science and I jump back and forth between an AGA mask and a Kirby Morgan EXO BR. Since much of my diving has mandated gear configurations there is not much I can do about which mask I dive at any given time but I can tell you that if I had my choice I would dive only the Kirby Morgan.

Reasons are as follows, unlike the aga mask the Kirby Morgan is actually designed for diving. Diving with the aga was an after thought. The Kirby Morgan fits my face better and where many divers have difficulty with the positioning of the aga nose block in relation to their nose the Kirby Morgan seems to always work. The face seal is larger making it easier to seal against a hood or face in general, The regulator flows much better and is adjustable for differing intermediate pressures, The face plate is much clearer and more difficult to damage, and though they are a little harder to maintain to me it's worth it. Jaw fatigue seems to never be a problem with the Kirby but with either mask you should never tighten the top strap unless absolutly necessary. The Kirby Morgan is a physically bigger mask than the aga, and I can tell you that I have never actually met a seasoned full face mask diver who has dove with both masks that has ever preferred the aga over the kirby morgan.

OTS makes com units for all the popular masks as does everyone else who manufacturers communications for the diving industry.

Personally when sport diving I prefer to dive with a regular mask and regulator rather than a full face mask. I think its kind of funny how people want to talk while underwater. I love the silence of it all.

Things to keep in mind, While diving with a ffm you should always have an octopus and regular scuba mask availble in case you need to "bail out" of the ffm underwater. This is an oversight by many sport divers. Also you really need to practice bailouts. If you don't and you ever need to its far more difficult than simply clearing your regular scuba mask or breathing without one due to the fact that you loose both your sight and air at the same time. If you are doing long surface swims or are simply an airhog you will be breathing down your air supply much faster due to the logistics of diving a ffm. Maintinence is a much bigger issue than with a standard face mask and regulator. Microphones are easily damaged and expensive to replace so be careful with them. Practice your bailouts in 10 feet of water so the pressure won't force water into the microphone. Place the earbuds of the comms unit inside your hood for better listening or sew patches of neoprene over your hood to mount the earbuds in eliminating the funky neoprene pouches that fit on the aga mask strap.

Whichever you choose I hope you like it enough to keep diving it. let us know what you choose.

It will be obvious which mask is my favorite. As Seadiver5 wrote, you'll be well advised to try the various masks on the market to find the one that's best for you. I won't even comment on the Neptune. It's one of those "If you have nothing good to say, then..."

Seadiver5:
Reasons are as follows, unlike the aga mask the Kirby Morgan is actually designed for diving. Diving with the aga was an after thought.

While the project that spun off the AGA mask (Divator MKII) was originally conceived for firefighting, the Divator was developed for diving in its current configuration. This started during WWII, with tests done using a firefighting mask, a compressed gas supply and a breathing valve. To say that diving was an after thought is akin to an airplane being bicycle parts.

I would also bet that there are far more public safety divers that have gone from the EXO to the Divator than the other way around. It's just my personal experience.

Nothing against the EXO, it's a good mask, but for most applications, consider at three times the weight and about twice the size, what will it do that the AGA won't do, and do better? Certainly for some, the EXO will fit better, this, as with all masks, none fit everyone. On larger divers, the EXO does fit better. The field of view with the EXO is poor, the de-fogging isn't as efficient. The ear pockets for the earphones are not the greatest design and the speakers are prone to water damage.

I don't want to make this into a point by point comparison, I'll just leave it to what James Croft said earlier:

james croft:
I've used all kinds, from Kirby Morgan bandmasks, and EXO-26 and the AGA and a lot of old school General Aquadynes, etc.. I believe the AGA is an awesome FFM. The price is right. It is used by virtually all military and public safety organizations. I am a certified tech on the AGA. They are dependable and fit most faces. OTS makes a good com unit called the Buddy Phone. I find it works pretty good. I also use OTS military grade comm which is even better. AGAs have good resale values. Friends don't let friends dive Neptunes.

CavernDiver:
does anyone know if theres a good FFM with corrective lens? I know my name saids cavern diver but i am full cave cert and on long dives my jaw feels like it's going to fall off. Thanks

See the AGA eye glass kit here:

http://www.oceantechnologysystems.com/aga-access.shtml

OTS is currently selling it for $138.30 (part # 96496-01). Keep in mind you still have to pay your eye dr to put lenses in. I use contacts.

I'm one of the many votes for AGA. My dive team uses them with the OTS comms-- hardwire and wireless. I like them so much I got my own and use it every dive. 36F in Lake Superior today, can't say that I miss those wee masks my dive buddies had.

I dive with a mask and reg now and havn't even tried a ffm yet. My reason to get one is on long dives in florida springs it can get a bit cold and my jaw feels like it's going to fall off. I just got trained in dry suits and i've loving that.

one of my bigest problems is 1 finding a shop that offers FFM training and 2 finding a shop that carrys them.

Does anyone know of a shop near Orlando fl?

My brother lives in Orlando and dives his Mantis regularly (in fact he's in a Florida Spring right now!) As mentioned before by myself others, the AGA is an amazing mask (and we sell them) but if your using it for sport diving and you already have a 2nd stage, the Mantis is a much lower price point. You can compare here: Full Face Masks

If you'd like to test dive one, let me know-I'm sure I can arrange something

I dive with a Mantis and like it, while it's not in the same league as the AGA which I've used it is fine considering it's limitations.

Here's the answers as best I can relate. CO2 buildup, technically it is possible due to the airspace in the mask but it doesn't affect me to any noticeable extent. Fogging, well it will fog up and unlike the AGA once fogged it's going to stay that way. I find that the best way to prevent it is to use defog on it like a normal mask and you'll be fine. I've dove with it in water temps ranging from 36 degrees to 85 degrees and have not run into problems I didn't cause myself.

For the price it's a good buy. For what it's worth when I save the money I'm buying an AGA mask. I like the features it offers in contrast, one of the better IMO is the surface air valve.

Thankyou, can I get corrective lens for the mantis? That will be the selling point for me, with a -4.0 diving without correction is usless and not to metion unsafe in caves

Back
Top Bottom