Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7:
I disagree with Rob in regards to using it with comms, I used it (and the AGA) with both OTS Buddy Phone and 2010 comms without problems. Having the option of keeping the bite piece in your mouth reduces dead space and CO2 buildup.

Stefan knows well of my dislike for the K-M 48 (sometimes known as the "oral sex" mask, for reasons I will not go into on a PG-13 board).

Simply put, however, having a bite-piece to reduce CO2 deadspace is a solution to a problem that does not exist on the AGA. The oro-nasal cup is small, to prevent that problem from occurring.

As for the comms, I would prefer NOT to have a bite-piece to have to shift out of the way every time I wish to speak, or else remove it completely and have lots of deadspace to contend with. On the AGA, I simply push the button and speak.

I have used the Divator MKII (AGA) for many years and found it to be reliable, lightweight, comfortable, and impossible to fog when on OC. (Rebreathers are another matter.)

Cheers! :D

BigJetDriver69:
Stefan knows well of my dislike for the K-M 48 (sometimes known as the "oral sex" mask, for reasons I will not go into on a PG-13 board).

Simply put, however, having a bite-piece to reduce CO2 deadspace is a solution to a problem that does not exist on the AGA. The oro-nasal cup is small, to prevent that problem from occurring.

As for the comms, I would prefer NOT to have a bite-piece to have to shift out of the way every time I wish to speak, or else remove it completely and have lots of deadspace to contend with. On the AGA, I simply push the button and speak.

I have used the Divator MKII (AGA) for many years and found it to be reliable, lightweight, comfortable, and impossible to fog when on OC. (Rebreathers are another matter.)

Cheers! :D

I note that in the above I failed to mention several other available full-face masks. I will not go into all of the pro's and con's of each. Suffice it to say that one in particular is very heavy and clunky. The others are not commercial quality. If you have a particular question, please PM me.

R :D

How is do you guys configure your system? Do you keep a spare mask in a pocket and a back-up on a neclace with another octo clipped somewhere for a buddy OOA emergency?

Is it solely price that has kept them out of the mainstream of divers configuration?

The DIR way of diving seems to be a new "fad" would you see a DIR diver trying to encorporate this set up or is a full face mask a technique all to its own?

Having done both which do you prefere??

I prefer using a FFM, when your used to it air consumption increasing is not an issue.

Some of the originators of the DIR methodology have used them as well for deco.

rmediver2002:
I prefer using a FFM, when your used to it air consumption increasing is not an issue.

Some of the originators of the DIR methodology have used them as well for deco.

Hi Jeff, how have you been?

I find that I don't use much if any more gas with an AGA. I'm still usually the last one back on the boat. While this isn't the case for everyone, most that I dive with are getting similar consumption rates, once they are practiced with the mask. Friday night, I spent a total of two hours and twenty minutes on two dives hunting bugs wearing my AGA. The trick is to have a good seal with the mask, proper fit and as much face time as you can. The more you dive it the better it gets.

Hey John,

Good to see your still hitting the board.

I have been doing pretty well, not turning down any projects yet but into the second year now and still plugging!!

Take care!

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom