Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ralawrence

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking at moving into a full face mask system. There are several on the market. One of the more interesting is the Oceanic JMC M48. I am attracted to the prospect of not having to flood, or remove, my mask to get to Octo or back up source. I would sure appreciate experiences of others with FFM, especially the M48.

RA,

I have used a lot of FFM's over the years, but not the JMC/K-M 48. I assume you are aware of the pro's and con's of using FFM's, so will only say that FFM's are much more secure than standard masks, due to the spider, or head-strap set-up. If you are thinking about the mask for comm purposes, the JMC is not as suitable as some of the others due to its regulator-type bit in the mouth set-up, although it offers a work-around.

The AGA or Divator MKII, is another very good, very reliable FFM. If you are concerned about gas switching, a positive switch such as the one offered by Sartek will work well.

Cheers!

Was considering one of these myself.If your shop has one ask to try it out first. Met with our oceanic rep on monday and was told that they are discontinuing it. While no major problems have been reported as far as safety and such the 400 dollar or so price tag and reports of increased air consumption have really hurt sales to the point that it just not worth it for them to continue to make it available. It's true as far as air that you can use your mouthpiece inside with it, although it's not required, what's the point if you want a fullface mask. But there are others out on the market also such as the neptune reef which I tried in an ow demo and was not really impressed. the nose tabs for equalizing never really adjusted right for me after 4 or 5 attempts by the factory rep guy. The com unit was neat though. There's also the aga mask which I've not tried but have talked to several people who have and an aga owner and they all love it. And then there's that one that pops up on ebay all the time that looks like it's pretty simple but you still have to use your mouthpiece. Not knocking it since I've not tried it and would be interested in hearing from someone who has. But again if you still use your mouth piece is it really what you want. Not trying to talk you out of the JMC but if you get the chance to try it pm me and let me know what you think as far as comfort, fit, and air usage if you can determine it. P.S. Now that you know it's being discontinued you may be able to work out a better deal with your shop. Oceanic may be willing to drop the price to him if they want to get rid of what stock they have left. Hey worth a shot! Jim

BigJetDriver69:
Jim,

The mask you are talking about that pops up on E-Bay all of the time? There is a reason it is on E-Bay all of the time. :D
He may be thinking of the Cressi spinoff/clone, now being made by IST & some others.
I have a few of those that are used for hookah work, it's nice to rest the jaws every now & then & you can even nap a bit. They work well in situations where ya wouldn't want to risk a bandmask. :wink:

Anyone with experience in photography and a FFM, pros/cons?.
I have a friend that uses a FFM on his rebreather for shutterbugging, lets ya sneak up on the critters better. Good for comms, too. I'm not that serious about picture snapping, I'm happy with a double hose keeping the bubbles behind me.

Bob3:
I have a friend that uses a FFM on his rebreather for shutterbugging, lets ya sneak up on the critters better. Good for comms, too. I'm not that serious about picture snapping, I'm happy with a double hose keeping the bubbles behind me.

I was thinking the mask looks to be large volume face plate, can you see through the view finder ok?

Ra
I've been in the water with the AGA mask a few times now. I do my diving in So. Cal. I've found this mask to be very comfortable and the reg. breathes great. The masks had the buddy phones installed as well. I find that the air consumption isn't noticably different than a conventional style mask and reg set up. One thing that everyone in our group did notice was the increase in warmth. None of us felt as cold as we usually do during or after the dive. I haven't used others but, if you're looking for a FFM, the AGA mask, by OTS is where I would spend my money.

I've dived both the AGA (Interspiro Diveator II) and Kirby-Morgan M-48 Supermask.

The AGA has a much superior field of vision. It's a very comfortable mask. It has one of the best demand valves on the market. The gas flow path keeps the faceshield from fogging. The only drawback, as far as I'm concerned, is that you have to remove it if the 2nd stage fails. I have a tiny Dacor Bandit for that occasion in my BC pocket. As BJD69 pointed out, gas supply switches can easily be utilized, and the 2nd stage is of excellent quality. When using the semi-postive pressure version, additional gas usage is not much of an issue. One problem I had was equalizing as my nostrils are too large for the stock nose block. Once I fixed that (the block, not the nose) it worked well.
In regards to photography, I've seen several people take some masking tape onto the side to keep reflections at bay.

The M-48 has probably the worst field of vision I ever used. You wouldn't recognize tunnel vision as sympton of problems beacause that's all there is. The 4 point harness is less comfortable than the AGA's 5 point, but has a quick release that works well. Equalization can be done by squeezing your nose as on most masks. The removable pod is great as you easily accomodate additional second stages for bailout or gas switching. With or without another pod. I disagree with Rob in regards to using it with comms, I used it (and the AGA) with both OTS Buddy Phone and 2010 comms without problems. Having the option of keeping the bite piece in your mouth reduces dead space and CO2 buildup. Unlike the AGA, the gas is only in the removable pod, so the mask will need defogger as usual. The black K-M version should work better for photography than the clear skirted Oceanic version, same as any mask.
Photography I don't know, the glass is closer and straight as you're used to, but the bellows of the pod takes up quite some space. Tough call without trying.

Between the two I prefer the AGA of use with OC equipment. Large, fog free field of vision, breathing performance and comfort give it the edge.

Last but not least, the mask has got to fit your face! The Scubapro for example is way to wide for mine, so it's just not an option for me.

Back
Top Bottom