Full face mask question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryuujo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All

I am considering a FFM because of the issues with regular masks.

I currently own a seadive mask; which fits and makes a decent seal.

When I was using it in the pool for training it did leak some and was needing to clear every 20 minutes or so. When doing my open water dive weekend, I was having even more issues. I was having to clear every 5 minutes. Though I was told that it was because of the hair on my upper lip.

I just returned from an amazing diving trip on the great barrier reef. While down there the mask problems only got worse. I did shave off the hair, tried using vaseline around the mask skirt, natural lip balm. All with no luck.

I also was fit into a different mask while on the liveaboard, which also made a good seal but still the same issues. Two of the dive masters on the boat thought a FFM might be good for me.

I do live in the PNW and I heard that FFM's are great for cold water.

What are divers thoughts?

Jacob

I'll just chime in with the experience of my wife and also my main dive buddy, who have used an AGA Interspiro.

1.) It doesn't fog.
2.) It hardly ever needs to be cleared.
3.) Equalizing is more difficult than with a standard scuba mask, but doable.
4.) They go through air faster.
5.) It tends to 'pull up' a little bit, so that long lead weight that cost $100 & I somehow lost would probably be good to have.
6.) It straps onto her head strongly. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get off underwater.
7.) Being able to receive air from a buddy if you run out at depth could be interesting. You'd need to pull it off, and preferably pull a spare regular mask out of your BCD pocket & don it.
8.) It does let them breathe through their noses.
9.) They are expensive.
10.) Consider taking a course in using one, since it is different.

Richard.

P.S.: I've got a mustache and mask leakage issues. Using an Atomic subframe mask, shaving the top of the mustache off and generously applying silicone grease to my nasolabial folds & across under my nose helps a lot.

I always advise caution when rec divers want to move to a FFM. Generally, you want a really good reason to go with an FFM as it brings with it some specialized training needs. They are also expensive, and in the case of the AGA, expensive to service.

Gas sharing is the largest obstacle for a rec diver and with most FFMs it will require you to carry a back up mask and be able and willing to bail out to it while underwater in the event you need to get gas from a buddy or use your own octo.

Another option is the Kirby Morgan KM-48 Supermask - sold by Oceanic as well. This make separates your eyes from the lower oral/nasal section. The lower section is normally dry (eliminating any leakage under the nose in your case) but has a removeable pod holding the second stage allowing you to remove the pod to donate the reg or to breath off another reg.
When the lower section is flooded or the pod is removed, the mask functions like a normal mask, so it eliminates the need to bailout to a spare mask and simplifies the training and proficiency needed to use a FFM. It is popular with technical divers as it allows gas switches in the same manner as aregular mask while still allowing the diver to use com equipment if desired.

i use a mask with a purge valve
i excepted the fact that my mustache will let water in my mask
the purge valve lets me exhale out my nose as often as i need to get the water out without touching my mask or tilting my head

MY buddy (my son) wears a Ocean Reef Neptune Space mask. Albeit, he was lucky enough to have won it. He swears by it for all the reasons stated, and has no interest in using a conventional mask and 2nd stage anymore. He took an orientation class that included proper fitting and pool time to practice clearing the mask. It was no more than an hour. Ocean Reef masks have quick-disconnect fittings at the mask. My "safe second" is similarly equipped using one of their hoses (42"). We practice on OOA drill that has me disconnect my 2nd stage from the hose, and then he disconnects his hose from the mask and connects the donated hose. This results in him not having to remove his FFM. I have used it and am a convert as well, although since I have a SCUBAPRO A700, I'm saving my $ for a Neptune II. I am similarly a quest for a mask that doesn't leak.

I agree with the above about a FFM... I Commercially dive with a FFM and recreationally dive with a standard mask.. Diving with a FFM as simple as it sounds is not that Simple.. A FFM mask is easy to use once one gets used to it, however, it does take "extra" training to learn how to ditch it in case of emergency, sharing air using it as a primary is simply out of the question and depending on the mask equalizing can be a big challenge.. Servicing them is costly, and not just any shop will be qualified to service them...I would never travel with my FFM unless it was for work, on a plane as you can imagine they are a bit bigger and expensive to replace/repair...I would recommend keeping up the search for a good ol fashion mask, out of the 20 thousand or so available on the market I am sure with enough time and patience you will find the mask of your dreams :)

Aside from size & expense, would the Kirby Morgan KM-48 Supermask then provide the benefits of a FFM without the major liability (difficulty accepting an alternate air source in an out-of-air situation)?

Richard.

Aside from the size and expense it conceivably could give you benefits that others don't, however, as with any full face mask even one seemingly as simple as the Kirby it in an out of air situation is not as simple as it sounds.. By this I mean, a lot of diving accidents that involve drowning are not from a person necessarily not having an alternate air source available as much as the diver panicking... Unless you have had a bit of training, are extremely comfortable in the water and have no problem ditching all gear if necessary I would not recommend a full face mask... A full face mask is not something I would voluntarily dive unless for work (as in my case) they are cumbersome in my opinion...

Your regular seadive mask clearly doesn't fit and, AFAIC T from your OP, you've only tried it and one other. Simply shop around until you find a ordinary mask that does fit.

Going straight to a FFM to resolve a leaky mask strikes me as an expensive and overly complex solution to a problem that could be resolved with persistence in shopping.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this topic.

I have taken my mask to three local dive shops and they all agree that it does fit just fine.

I have tried several other kinds of masks with the same issue, it seems to always leak right under the nose, even when I shave my mustache all the way off, or apply a good coat of whatever over my lip area.

So I am really don't know what to do at this point, and am feeling a little beaten down at the moment.

anyone got any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom