Full Face Mask Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

p_masks_supermask1.jpg

Oceanic cousteau supermask

The Oceanic mask is a Kirby Morgan mask. I don't think they make them any more. The M-48 is available at Amron International, Dive Equipment Company of America in Santa Barbara and a number of other dive equipment suppliers.

Just my 2 cents but with under 25 dives, I think you are introducing an unneeded (not to mention expensive) piece of equipment.

I know you dive the Pacific NW, but the vast majority of divers in your area do not use this equipment - I may have missed it as I read this thread quickly, but why do you feel you need this equipment?

Hey sorry i took so long to reply to your's (and everyone elses post's) I'm in Iraq at the moment so gettin online isn't exactly the easiest task to do lol. I'm considering the FFM for a few different reason's. 1 I dive with my wife and i'd like to use com's equipment just for the ease, and fun of the dive. 2. Call me a wuss for it or not, cold water sucks on the face and i dive in the NW. 3 the wider field of view that is offered, I have a pair of Tusa wide lense googles allready and they work ok but theres still some blockage of my perifrial's (not sure if i spelled that right). Lastley i like experimenting with different equipment so it's a chance to dive something new.

Hey sorry i took so long to reply to your's (and everyone elses post's) I'm in Iraq at the moment so gettin online isn't exactly the easiest task to do lol. I'm considering the FFM for a few different reason's. 1 I dive with my wife and i'd like to use com's equipment just for the ease, and fun of the dive. 2. Call me a wuss for it or not, cold water sucks on the face and i dive in the NW. 3 the wider field of view that is offered, I have a pair of Tusa wide lense googles allready and they work ok but theres still some blockage of my perifrial's (not sure if i spelled that right). Lastley i like experimenting with different equipment so it's a chance to dive something new.

In general a FFM is going to offer a narrower field of view.

I have a friend who dives a Kirby Morgan up here on both OC and CCR. He prefers it. To each their own!

I have only used an Aga Mask a few times. I think I would prefer a KM as well is I were to use a FFM.

Hi, I'm considering getting a Full Face mask. I'm looking at a few different brands and have decided the one i like the most that fits my needs.
My thoughts are that in light of the question, it is a bit early to be making a decision about what best meets your needs.

-----

I agree with mudidver that the Kirby Morgan M-48 Supermask is something to seriously consider.

I really liked my Kirby Morgan EXO-26 for commercial diving, but surface supply with a bailout is different than OC sport diving. The M-48 is great as it is comparatively small and does not create the volume or buoyancy issues you get with a larger commecial diving mask or with the AGA that is so popular with public safety divers.

The M-48 also has a normal nose pocket and the lower pod is isolated from the nose/eye section of the mask. What that means is that the lower pod is removeable in the event you need to use your octo or share gas on your buddy's regulator. With a conventional FFM, you would have to remove the mask and then don a backup mask to allow you to effectively function while accessing an alternate air source.

The same thing applies in technical diving where you'd have to use a conventional mask during deco, largely defeating the purpose of having a FFM. With the M-48 you can get extra pods to put on your deco regs to allow you to dewater the pod after the switch and still use coms.

For sport or technical diving, in my opinion, the M-48 is the no-brainer choice.

The mask is obviously made by Kirby Morgan, but over the years has been sold by other oceanic related companies. JMC Scuba (as in Jean-Michael Cousteau) was Oceanic's upscale/ technical line for a while and they sold it as the Supermask with JMC's logo on it. Since 2007, Hollis has more or less edhat spot in the Oceanic family now and I believe they still sell the mask in the orignal form (for around $1200) and also in an even more outlandishly overpriced version (about $2500) with the Data Mask incorporated into it.

The JMC period was nice in comparision as I got mine new from a dealer for $399.

Edit: Hollis still displays the Data Mask version of the M-48 on the front page of their site, but I cannot find it listed on their site.

Lastley i like experimenting with different equipment so it's a chance to dive something new.

Don't take this the wrong way, but at "0-24 Dives" isn't it ALL new?

:eyebrow:

But seriously, I would work on basic skills, buoyancy, trim, propulsion techniques, etc before getting into things like FFM's and the like. No reason to increase your task loading (and your wife's too) at this early stage of your diving experience.

I use an Interspiro because we have to...(PSD).We have to have positive pressure (we dive level 2, fully encapsulated) and we use underwater comms..I have also used it for deco stops..Like mentioned above, you absolutely need have an ambient breathing valve or you will see your air just disappear...
Like also mentioned above, it narrows your vision, rides up on your head and is not very comfortable..I also use to dive a Kirby-Morgan EXO and literally broke my nose cinching it down...(Dont ask !!) I dont like em, but its a necessary evil, if you dont to talk, I wouldn't bother with it...Too much task loading for a fairly new diver, with no real advantage to recreational diving....
My 2 cents !!!

I am a commercial diver/cameraman

The best FFM on the market today is the OTS Guardian. I have dove every other type of FFM and this one is by far the best one. I do agree with other posters that there is more task loading with the FFM system but if you are looking for U/W comm systems than OTS is the one to go with. Other companies use the OTS electronics and copy their patents but they all fall short.

Ocean Technology Systems - New Page

OTS also has the best customer service in the industry.

Clearing your ears with the ear block and deployment of the system may take some getting used to if you are a new diver to the FFM systems.

Back
Top Bottom