Full Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlessard:
Well, if not full, I'd at least like to get as much done as possible. The TDI guy I spoke with in Mexico (who shall remain unnamed) said we could knock it out in a week...so I was just going based on that. I dunno all of the requirements...so help is greatly appriciated. We both have experience cavern diving with a full cave DM...

-T

"Experience cavern diving with a full cave DM"- all this statement means is that you have done a guided cavern experience. IMHO, as an instructor, the Cavern portion of the program is the most important step. This is the class that builds all the foundations for Cave Training. I would very, very strongly suggest that you not even consider attempting a one week OW to Full Cave course unless you have extensive diving experience, and extensive experience in doubles. Full Cave cannot be completed in a single tank, and you cannot learn to dive doubles and learn the other requisite skills at the same time. In fact, unless you have extensive experience in doubles (50 dives or more would be a good guage) I doubt there are any cave instructors who will even talk to you about a one week program.

My recommendation would be to do Cavern, and perhaps Intro (depending on how you perform at the Cavern level) and then spend a few days building experience and having fun practicing newly learned skills.

Heather Choat
NACD IN 38

Another thing to think about, if you hadn't yet. Apprentice and Full Cave have to be done in doubles. If you aren't already very comfortable in doubles, that would be an issue. Cavern and Intro can be done in singles with an H valve, at least with the NACD.

Now, whether or not YOU are willing to do these classes in a single is another question altogether. :D

Edit: Oops, I got scooped.

tlessard:
Well, if not full, I'd at least like to get as much done as possible. The TDI guy I spoke with in Mexico (who shall remain unnamed) said we could knock it out in a week...so I was just going based on that. I dunno all of the requirements...so help is greatly appriciated. We both have experience cavern diving with a full cave DM...

-T

After taking some TDI courses in Mexico and learning some lessons, my advice is to 1) make sure your instructor has paid his current instructor fees and is in good standing (yeah, this happened to me) and 2) make sure you finish a previous course before moving to part of the next one. I had to take part of Deco Theory over because I didn't finish it before we got into Extended Range and then I had to fly home. :(

Good luck!

We both have about 2 yrs experience with twin sets...I'm currently using an H valved 130 because I don't want to hurt my back anymore. Both using BP/Ws...and have or will have all required equipment. I would prefer to rent the twin sets or H valved tanks if anyone has a connection...other wise i think it would be cheaper to drive...

Still given that you have some experience in doubles, i would recommend as above, cavern and probably intro are about as far as you can realistically (and without a deathwish) could go in a week. There is more than enough cave that you can explore with intro.

Assuming you are doing this in NFL, there are a few places you can rent doubles and some instructors also have them on loan too.

Just spend the time in training and a few fun dives afterwards rather than trying to bash it all out. The other thing you need prior to doing full cave is advanced nitrox and deco training, experience with stages and such before attempting to work with those in a cave environment. Maybe spend some time now, practice a bit and come back again for full cave?

Sure, that sounds reasonable...we do want to have fun, not all work. Can we do cavern and intro without Adv Nitrox and Deco procedures, or will we need to get those first?

Yea, cavern and intro are without the extra bottle. I think that should be 4-5 days of class, a couple days for fun. Sounds like a good plan.

tlessard:
Sure, that sounds reasonable...we do want to have fun, not all work. Can we do cavern and intro without Adv Nitrox and Deco procedures, or will we need to get those first?

Yes you can.
And when you get that intro done , let me know...
Me loves my cave diving !!!! :D :D :D
And since I only live 10 minutes from Ginnie well ... er ... uh ...
(you get the picture)

Jeano Beano
Fort White , Florida

P.S. I have done my cave classes slowly over time. But I have the luxury of living around here and doing things at my own pace. I MUCH prefer the "get to one level" and then Practice , practice , practice ...
I know PERSONALLY , that I could NEVER do it all in one week. But that's just me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom