Full Cave Training in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How was the flow? :wink:

Flow is very light in the cave even after a nice rain last night. Flow increases the closer you get to the ceiling. Both teams silted up the cave a bit during drill today's. It's hard not to when your eyes are closed and reaching around with your hand to find the line. My hand hit the silty bottom twice, but I found the line first time and quickly. No flow does help for this training for sure.

Apparently, Team 1's egos are bruised from the daily reports. They claim foul on the details. One has shaved his head in disgust(for real). The other has begun drinking again. Free Wifi and cold drinks seem to be bringing out the ego of the cave diver.

After many beers in rapid succession, team 2 is just happy their gas consumption is not as bad as an old woman who smokes 6 packs a day like half of team 2. Lol

After many beers in rapid succession, team 2 is just happy their gas consumption is not as bad as an old woman who smokes 6 packs a day like half of team 2. Lol

Too bad this only makes sense to Layne

That is all that matters. Hard to believe we are all sitting at the same table about 2 ft apart. Team 2 sucks

Par for the course. It takes team 1 two tries to get it right.

Just out of curiosity...do any members of Team 1 and Team 2 plan on diving together once the training is over? I'm thinking someone's liable to find their line cut or gas turned off at the bottom of a cave somtime in the future!

Just out of curiosity...do any members of Team 1 and Team 2 plan on diving together once the training is over? I'm thinking someone's liable to find their line cut or gas turned off at the bottom of a cave somtime in the future!

I think there's a whole other level beyond tampering with gear or lines, which has been thrown out there as a threat. It seems a little more dangerous at this point to continue to criticize your Tech instructor. We do still have a few classes to pass :shocked2:

So, we will post our own separate reports going forward.

Day 4

Kirk and I are up first. We have a visitor named Jay who claims to be an instructor. Kirk thinks not. Jay seems more interested in getting laid than diving. His communication sucks, he's a bit slow and kicking up silt. We will not let him dive with us again.

I get to run the primary reel again, oh joy. I do need the practice. For the third day in a row I miss the tie off at the bottom of the stop sign. Luckily it's a team effort and Kirk ties off in a better spot for me. Today is focused on a circuit. In this case a complex circuit. I place an arrow and tie off at the main line and we keep going. Then we find an arrow not even German was expecting. I cancel the arrow and keep going. Next jump is the same. I place an arrow and tie off then off to the poorly run line in a very low overhead with a very silty bedding plane. Everyone except Jay seems to understand the modified flutter kick. German points to a place to leave a cookie and we record depth, time and gas. We turn this dive and exit.

Next run Kirk leads. He ties off earlier than the last to hit the bedding plane line. I misunderstand directions and remove the jump reel, but no problem. It's only 200 psi to the cookie and then 600 to complete the circuit. I pull all the reels on the way out. I have time as Jay is slow and not signaling. We explain the mixup and no problem. Line work and team work was good. This was another huge confidence building day.

We are done early after Layne and Gordon finish. It's off to the fill station by way of Del Mar divers to arrange a boat dive. Layne's dry suit gets snagged and tears around the cuff. So, the dive is Gordon, Kirk and myself. We dive the mine sweeper and the reef. I took the GoPro and get 37 minutes of 1080p. Kirk and I drop off tanks at the fill station and head to El Foco for tacos again. We are worn out and tomorrow is a 7am start at German's house.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom