Fujifilm Finepix F30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

starlan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,

So im thinking of getting this little Fuji when it comes out due to the good reviews of the previous model, the F10, of which this model seems to be a further improvement of. This camera looks like a winner to me so far but I will wait for the reviews and their sample photos before heading out to buy one, just in case. I guess it will have an underwater housing as well since there is an underwater scene mode. I looked at Fuji's UK website and they have an underwater strobe kit available. I cant find this for the US, does anyone know how to get one here. I don't think it has even been released in the US.

Anyones input on Fuji's generally is also welcome, especially the F10 and if known, the F30? Anyone have info on the strobe kit for the US? For 160 pounds in the UK its not a bad deal at all, I assume it will be priced around 250 US dollars if it ever comes out here in the US, which is a very good price for a strobe alone let alone the whole kit with the nice grippable bending arms, diffusers, etc. I guess the strobe wont be the best out there, but I am sure it will be a big improvement over the in camera flash alone (which is what I use now). I also think that the kit actually works with many cameras and not just Fujis, so that is nice too. Cant seem to find any specs on it for luminosity, etc. (which would be nice), does anyone know how these compare to actual strobe manufacturers such as Ikelite, or Sea&sea strobes. And does anyone know if it will be released in the US or do I have to get one from the UK?

Thanks in advance, also my email is sft109@psu.edu in case anyone has info on this matter that they want to mail me about (ill be doing a bunch of travelling starting next week, so for posts after then, feel free to also email me your thoughts as I may not be able to check here often for a few weeks).

Ps. I realize this camera has either shutter priority or aperture priority but not both at the same time (which would of course be fully manual). Will I need full manual control or will the options the f30 offers be enough? I got a Minolta XG now which has absolutely nothing manual. The F30 gives me man white balance, and man shutter (it decides aperture, or the exact opposite, it decides shutter and I pick aperture) i can also choose ISO. Any other small cameras that are worth checking out? (the canon s80 looks good, i know its fully manual (both shutter and aperature control) but I dont like that it only has ISO 400 max and much more noisy than the fuji, and that noise is not acceptable above ISO200. Im thinking having shutter or aperature priority mode will be enough for good shots underwater, especially if I also get the strobe and I really like the amazing ISO performance for such a small camera, but if I really need both shutter and aperture and if this is a fatal flaw please let me know, I am by no means an expert.

It's been a while since starlan's original post. Any divers tried the F30 yet? Reviewers on Amazon (none of them divers) are saying this camera has its problems but does live up to its billing for low-light performance - low noise even at the higher ISO settings.

Hi

I actually got the camera like 2 weeks ago. Been very happy with it so far. The battery life is stupendous, image quality is excellent - far far better than my old 3MP Minotla Dimage XG (which i used diving and snorkelling) and my Canon SD450 (5MP). I like it a lot and in my opinion its easily the best compact cam in the market right now.I didnt get the housing yet, but it is available, I will get it before going on my next diving trip (which unfortunately doesnt look like it will be anytime soon). Anyways, if youre interested in how the cam handles topside, check out my comparison gallery (link at the bottom) (I honestly thought the SD450 was a good cam until I started shooting with it side by side with the F30 - you can see how bad the SD450underexposes in bright-light (like a solar-eclipse going on!!), overexposes in low-light and is not nearly as sharp as the Fuji lens). Also, ISO is actaully superb. The F30 ISO1600 is better than my two previous cams ISO400 at print sizes (up to 8 x 10), obviously its no DSLR when viewed 100% but thats expected of a $300 P&S in my opinion. I also like having custom WB and Aperture and Shutter priority modes. The LCD is great too very sharp, plus anti glare coating for use outdoors, plus a quick brighten up button that works very well in direct sunlight. Check out my comparison gallery and ISO tests. Also, you can see some topside shots of the trips I have taken plus collages of the underwater shots I took with my old Dimage XG. Click on the images to view them at full resolution. I am certain the F30 with its awesome ISO handling, manual controls, WB, great LCD and awesome battery life will make a great underwater cam for a P&S.

http://sft109.myphotoalbum.com/

Regards,
Sinan

Spoonbender:
It's been a while since starlan's original post. Any divers tried the F30 yet? Reviewers on Amazon (none of them divers) are saying this camera has its problems but does live up to its billing for low-light performance - low noise even at the higher ISO settings.

I bought the F30 and have taken it on a few dives now. I'm a beginning diver and not much of a photographer, but I'm happy with the camera so far. Battery life and ISO performance are excellent. My only complaint is that the LCD (there is no optical viewfinder) is sometimes hard to see underwater - I think it's bright enough, but there sometimes seems to be not enough contrast. It may be that you have to get the viewing angle just right.

Here are the only decent photos I took:

These are at Dutch Springs PA, about 25 ft, using the camera's "Underwater" canned setting. I've tinkered with the manual white balance but haven't done well with it yet - probably my lack of skill and not any problem with the camera.

As a side note, I tried to get spare O-rings for this camera, but was told by Fujifilm that they are not available in the USA.

I have the F11 with the housing but no accessories yet. I will get them next week... INON Z-240 strobe, Inon Arm and tray... and an INON macro lens for starters... If you go to the 'products' tab of INON D2000 the F30 accessories will be on the chart.

http://inonamerica.com/products.php

I'm very happy with Fuji and I'm excited to bring it UW once my strobe and lens arrives.

Here are some of the pix I've taken with the F10. I used internal flash.

179298831_a59e02e133_o.jpg

160093157_7f178468ef.jpg

179243747_a7af157936.jpg

187339825_d475a16460.jpg

179243749_73530c8a30.jpg

I started with a Fuji F10, and "upgraded" to an Olympus SP-350. My next camera will be another Fuji ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

pyrodiver - those are amazing captures. You took those with the internal flash and no strobe? Very very impressive, cant wait to go diving with my F30 - whenever that will be :-( The 2nd nudi and especially the crab shot are superb.

PS. Also do you Fuji owners ever use Chrome color underwater? Im thinking it could work quite well with the extra saturated colors, but im not sure, it does well only in some cases on land and is usually oversaturated for the most part, but im thinking underwater could be very different. Some thoughts would be nice. Also more F series samples F10/11/30 would be awesome too!

Regards,
Sinan

Spoonbender - try using the quick brighten button if your looking at the cam from an angle - helps a lot! I agree that once you start looking at an angle like 45 degrees it tough to see but the quick brightness button makes it easily viewable in these cases from my experience topside.

Also, where exactly is Dutch Springs, I used to live in State College, PA - I went to Penn State (till recenty) and ive heard of this place but never been there. Post more samples as you take more pics.

Regards,
Sinan

Spoonbender:
I bought the F30 and have taken it on a few dives now. I'm a beginning diver and not much of a photographer, but I'm happy with the camera so far. Battery life and ISO performance are excellent. My only complaint is that the LCD (there is no optical viewfinder) is sometimes hard to see underwater - I think it's bright enough, but there sometimes seems to be not enough contrast. It may be that you have to get the viewing angle just right.

Here are the only decent photos I took:

These are at Dutch Springs PA, about 25 ft, using the camera's "Underwater" canned setting. I've tinkered with the manual white balance but haven't done well with it yet - probably my lack of skill and not any problem with the camera.

As a side note, I tried to get spare O-rings for this camera, but was told by Fujifilm that they are not available in the USA.

starlan:
try using the quick brighten button
Thanks, I'll try that!

Dutch Springs is in Bethlehem, PA. Not the most exotic diving location but a great training site. I'll post more pictures as I take them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom