Fuel Efficient Alternative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtmcrae

Registered
Reaction score
So, with ever-rising fuel prices and the steep drop in our economy, I decided to bite the bullet, get rid of my gas guzzling pickup truck, and opt for a fuel efficient compact 4 cylinder. That coupled with my new job which nows triples my commute to 104 miles per day compared to 35 miles per day, it's almost a necessity to have a fuel efficient car. So now I have a 2008 Toyota Carolla 5 speed which gets approximately 40mpg (compared to my V-6 Tacoma that got 19mpg). My payment has been cut in half and my fuel bill has been cut in half as well (which leaves an extra couple hundred bucks every month for scuba gear :cool2:).

All is good until I tried to load up 4 HP Steel 119's, 60 pounds of weights, two SS backplates, two drysuits, and all the other gear we need for a day's diving. Did I mention my dive buddy drives an even smaller car than I do? So I did a little research and discovered that the Carolla 5 spd's have a 1500lb towing capacity and mounting brackets for a hitch standard. I first thought a trailer behind a Carolla would look rediculous (and it does, let me tell you), but it's far more convenient and less wear and tear on the inside and outside of the car to pull a trailer full of scuba gear, instead of loading up the trunk and the back seat.

So I bought a 4x5 foot trailer and made some modifications to make it into a full dive trailer. I bought the trailer as a kit for $375 online. Add $100 for a plywood bottom and sides, $50 for a 12 gallon water tank, $75 for a water pump and hose, $100 for a roller storage container, and I have a sweet trailer for my gear. Not to mention while in tow I still get about 35mpg towing about 600lbs. The nice thing about it is when we're done with the dive, I just turn on the water pump and hose down all of the gear.

Attachments

• Trailer.jpg
    Trailer.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Trailer2.jpg
    Trailer2.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Trailer3.jpg
    Trailer3.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Trailer4.jpg
    Trailer4.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 70
  • Trailer5.jpg
    Trailer5.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Trailer6.jpg
    Trailer6.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 52
That is awesome.....now I have something to work towards. My only question is how do you lock your belongings up (i.e. 2 steel 119's that you are not diving with) when you are underwater? Is there a lid?

I haven't put a lid on yet, but I bolted the container down to the bed of the trailer and it's lockable (so I keep my spare regs and other equipment in there). The two extra tanks I just put in the trunk of the car during the dive.

Mtmcrae - Nice job on the trailer. I like the uilt in shower! I suffered the same fate when I had to get rid of my Pathfinder. I opted for the Matrix which is easier to load gear in to than the Corolla.

Steve - if you think I am riding in one of those you are crazier than I thought.

.......Steve - if you think I am riding in one of those you are crazier than I thought.

:hijack: Don't worry.....I'll install seatbelts in the trailer :D.....and a windscreen

Back
Top Bottom