Fuel cost too high, thinking of trading to Sailboat for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a boat lover it is not all about sailing on the boat, taking care of it also is part of the whole experience. But still I agree that hiring a boat is the best way nowadays. In addition to the cost of fuel the maintenance cost also is unbearable.

lol...
we just sold a 30 saiboat (moving up to 40 ish footer).

i have dove several times from it..a hassle, but not too bad.

I think you do not realize the ownership costs of a sailboat. A decent sized sailboat will not be trailerable so you will have slip rent $6k/yr here. you will need to clean the bottom monthly. You will need a haul out once at least every other year to repaint... this ran us about $1500.00 including the painting (we painted it).

If you need to replace the running rigging, $1K
If you need to replace the standing rigging, $1K
If you need sails $3-5K
if you keep it in the water you HAVE to visit it often just to keep mold under control... try not checking on it for a few months and see what happens inside.

the smaller the sailboat the slower. since sailboats are displacement vessels, so the speed is limited by the waterline length.
my 30 footer was limited to just under 8 knots

a small 22 footer would be about 6 knots....

something that small would be a major PITA to dive from.

here's a hint.

when diving from a sailboat, it is harder to get in due to the high free board...

shed your gear and let it float and attach it to a halyard. you can then use a winch to lift it into the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom